Author Topic: dead bait  (Read 4425 times)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
dead bait
« on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:37 PM »
where im at i cant use live bait and was wondering if anyone has luck with dead bait on a tip up?also when im looking for the transition between the shallows and deep do i set my tipups in the shallower or deeper or right in the edge?have never caught one before and am going to try at night.will also try jigging with my rapala or chubby,minnow head or whole minnow on the treble? thanks everyone looking for as much info on these babies as i can get.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: dead bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:49 PM »
It's going to depend on what your going for.  Some species will take dead others want a little movement.  Tipup can be used for suspended fish as well as one of the bottom.  Again, depends on species.  Leave some more info of what your fishing.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 06:58 PM »
WALLEYE

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:25 AM »
they will be alot harder to catch with out the dieing minnow trying to swimaway from it... uve caught a few on dead minnows in the summer but nothing on the ice.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Ive only caught catfish with dead bait. Never anything but a lively minnow for the eyes.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I catch huge pickeral at a private pond on dead bait,I catch a small perch and step on it a little to do him in then use it for bait,dont know if this is legal were you are but I have had good luck with this

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2009, 03:09 PM »
cant use any parts of a gamefish except the unedible ones.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Usually when my minnow dies, i catch ling. Id stik with living unless your gonna jig.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Northerns, Pickerel, Bass and Perch will take dead most others won't.  Walleye like it live.  This doesn't mean these no hope.  Try purchasing a Windlass tipup or one of the automatic types.  This will make the dead bait look a bit alive.

Offline onemoreperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:56 PM »
ABSOLUTELY!    had the best week of ice fishing ever last march on devils lake, using minnow heads exclusively.....even worked here in Wisconsin.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:08 AM »
If your using dead bait try laying it right on bottom.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:00 PM »
nothin wrong with ling ;D
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:32 PM »
It is definately not ideal but you can catch an occasional walleye on a dead minnow.  if you can set up by an inlet or anywhere there might be a slight current get a light leader and no weight.  this would be your best bet imo if you cannot use live bait.
l

Offline stumpm2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Caught a 7# walleye last night with a minnow head on a small jig.  I was jigging and stopped jigging to go check bait on my tip ups and after about an hour with the minnow head just sitting there the rod went down and the walleye was on.  I was extremely shocked and never expected to catch anything until I started jigging again.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:44 PM »
I guess you never know what is going to work for those eye's... at sunrise today my buddy caught a 8lb Walleye on his pike rig. (9" dead sucker minnow on a steel leader Quickstrike rig)  Generally hear no go for eyes with steel leaders, and I cant remember ever having caught walleye on dead minnows on tip-ups. I guess you never know.... so fish alot and try everything!
l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.