Author Topic: MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS  (Read 13508 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS
« on: Feb 23, 2003, 04:59 PM »
What are they??   Is there a brand name???  Where can they be purchased??   Price???

Offline TUSH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2003, 05:52 PM »
I have a pair. From what I understand they were first issued to airforce pilots. If you can find them they usually cost around $140. If your real lucky you might find a pair at a yard sale. They were originally white. They are a oversized white rubber boot with an air valve on them. I once thought that the valve was to be blown up to create an air space inside the boot. I was later told that the valve was to release air when air pressure increased in the plane (jet ?) You just can't beat them for ice fishing. My feet have never been cold in them. They usually are sized to fit. What I mean is if you wear a size ten shoe then buy a size ten. There are some copy cats out also. Not sure how good they are. Copy cats are usually black. The best place to purchase a pair is at a army or military surplus store. If you happen to find a pair that are original and are in good condition for under $140 you should buy them. They are a little heavy and not to bad to walk in. But when your standing still they still keep your feet warm. Best ever for ice fishing.

snazi

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2003, 12:07 AM »
Go to http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ and if they have them in your size they are $60.  Just do a keyword search for 'mickey mouse' and open up the government surplus section.  

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2003, 08:54 AM »
Tush,
MM boots are used by many different folks in the military...not just pilots. The military issued both white and black ones and they were produced by at least 2 different companies. The First MM boots had no air valve, but all of the later models do. As Snazi said, the sportsmans guide has them, as does some of the other surplus dealers. I got my second pair from the sportsmens guide last year for $40. My first pair were some of the originals without a valve, and have served me well over the years.

cattywombat

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2003, 10:32 AM »
I have an old pair of the white ones with the valve on the side, most hunting catalogs carry them, check cabelas or the sportsmans guide, I haven't found a warmer boot yet, they are a little bulky though.

jdr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2003, 12:28 AM »
There were several manufactuerers, be sure to get Bata's they are by far the best.  We sell them on our website at www.ljtrading.com  Best Cold Weather Boots in the world, and will last a lifetime with proper care.  email me if you want further specs. on them.  

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
Re:Mickey Mouse Boots
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:09 AM »
I spent 9 years in the USMC and I would wear a pair of those any day of the week when I stand on the ice.  As for walking in them, forget it.  A GySgt once said "There are not enough socks in the world to keep your feet dry if you hump in these!"

Always wear sock liners, poly pro or nylon.  Once your feet get sweaty, no boots will keep them warm.  

One problem you will have with them is drying them on Sat night for Sunday morning, you have to wipe them out and hang them or Sunday will be sloppy.

As for the valves, they are to relieve pressure when you are airborne, helo or planes.  If you are on the ice make sure the boots have some air in them and the valve is SHUT.  If you walk and can hear them squirting air, they are not helping you, they are just big ass stupid cold boots.

I replaced the laces too, the little GI one's are too small to tie in the cold.

Any good Military Surplus store will carry them too.  

Tight lines! :'(

And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2004, 11:48 AM »
I just got a pair of the Bata MM boots, and they are by far the best boots I have ever owned. Fishing, hunting...anything! These boots are great! They looking bulky, but I don't even feel them when I'm wearing them. YOu're right about the laces, they are a pain in the @$$! I still haven't replaced mine though! :P I'm just too cheap! ;D

Zach

Mudbug

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:55 PM »
i love my white mickeys. i too am to cheap to replace the original laces.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2004, 03:15 PM »
what is the difference between the black mickeys and the white bunnys besides color? ???
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2004, 11:29 AM »
Quote from 2 dogs "what is the difference between the black mickeys and the white bunnys besides color?" From what it looks like from the Sportsman Guide the white ones are  warmer. ;D ;D

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:43 PM »
The best boot I ever had,on my 3rd pair x each pair last 10 years= 30 years of fishing in mickeys. HIGH FLAGS  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2004, 02:46 PM »
I've heard somewhere that the U.S. military is phasing out the original MM boot and replacing them with something new.

Anyone else here anything about this?  I wonder if the new boots will be better, or just cheaper ???

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:43 AM »
Yes search out the Mickeys you wont be sorry.

patrout

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2005, 11:31 AM »
Got my Mickeys from Ft Dicks Nj  out post store back in 1990 and still in top shape use them all winter long

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:08 PM »
I've got a pair, never use them,(Have too many boots) they are warm though, that's for sure

Offline crappie getter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2005, 05:40 PM »
I have pair and they are warm. Try  the sportsmansguide.com  good luck

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:32 AM »
I looked these boots up at the Sportmans Guide today.  Are they waterproof?  How do they handle in deep slush?

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2005, 11:42 PM »
I actually "aqurired" three pair of these when I was assigned to do a whearrehouse inventory while in the USAF

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I actually "aqurired" three pair of these when I was assigned to do a whearrehouse inventory while in the USAF

So I guess that is why your name isn't major.shay?

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:02 PM »
The MM boots are the warmest boots I have ever owned!! And don't lace them up , your feet will keep plenty warm and DRY!!

Steve   :tipup:
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline beagledogxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:41 PM »
There are always a few pairs on ebay...just put in "mickey mouse boots" and it will find quite a few...sometimes as cheap as 20$ plus shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.