Author Topic: Gor-tex bib overalls  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gor-tex bib overalls
« on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good pair of Gor-tex bib overalls.  I was thinking of a pair of Carhartt's, but I thought they would be a little stiff and would absord moisture.  Has anyone tried the Cabelas GuideWear insulated Gor-tex bibs.  A little pricey, but should be a one time purchase.   
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gor-tex bib overalls
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:59 AM »
Try searching online for some snowmobile bibs.  You can find some good prices onthe web.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Fatboy picked up a set last year. Here's his post on them--->  http://www.iceshanty.com/archives/forum2/index.php?topic=13931.msg183161#msg183161
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Thanks Bean.  I noticed in that same post that you have the Guidewear bibs also.  Do you have the ones that come up to your chest or the ones that are waist high with the straps?  Do they come big or should I order one size larger for putting on layers?  thanks, Russ
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2005, 01:00 PM »
The ones I have come up to my chest and of course have the shoulder straps. I have plenty of room in mine to layer clothes. I think I bought the mediums since I have a 33 to 34" waist. Mine are the lite version that doesn't have insulation. I bought them mainly for summer fishing in the rain, but have used them a few times on the ice when it was in the 30's or higher and didn't want to be too warm. I just had on a pair of long johns and a pair of sweat pants underneath. I'm not sure if the insulated ones would give you less room to layer clothes or not. I have a feeling that they are made just a little bit big so you can put a few layers underneath.
Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2005, 01:01 PM »
Russ, the carhart's are a little stiff till you get them broke in. They probibly also take on a little more water than gor-tex but you can treat them with water proofing. My theory is I can cut wood and whatever else in carhart's but I'm not going to use an expensive pair of gor-tex one's for anything other than fishing. Not only that, I NEED a few more thing's for this year ;D
       Jim

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I think onyunn and his little lady got Gander's version - might want to check with them.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I have Gander's version and have been pleased.  I have the uninsulated bibs and jacket.  The bibs go very high on my chest (I'm just a hair under 6').  The jacket is cut long so there's always total coverage, even if you were to get the pants intead of bibs.  Plenty of room for layering.  They lasted 3 years of pretty frequent use before I needed to treat them with the gore-tex refresher spray.  Now they're as good as new.  I've been happy with all the normal features -- storm flaps over the zippers, boot zippers, the buckles on the shoulder straps, plenty of pockets, etc.  No failures of any kind.

They've kept me completley dry in some heavy precip.  They're fine for kneeling on the ice too.
I give them 9.5 swedish pimples out of 10
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.