Author Topic: Went back for more  (Read 1109 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Went back for more
« on: Dec 26, 2023, 08:08 PM »
Made the 200 mile roundtrip back for some bassin for the second time in 3 days, as I wait for waters closer to home to freeze safe. Landed my bag limit of largemouth within the first 45 minutes without having to drill, my holes from Sunday were still open due to warm weather.

Drilled another 40 or so holes in a deeper part of the lake that is normally tougher to access due to deep snow, was very surprised to land some big perch from the deepest hole at 61 feet. Probably deepest spot in the lake.

Also landed my deepest smallmouth at 40 feet, and found this little frozen critter on my way off the ice.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Went back for more
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2023, 09:02 PM »
Nice!  I, too have been driving 300-400 miles round trip to ice fish. can't wait to have some local water- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2023, 07:59 AM »
Nice haul! There is only 1 lake down here in NY that I know of where you can keep bass through the ice. Some of the biggest bass I have ever caught came through the ice! This one was from 2 yrs ago on Otisco lake. Had to throw her back.

Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Nice!  I, too have been driving 300-400 miles round trip to ice fish. can't wait to have some local water- :P

That's quite  a haul for a day trip, unless you stay a couple nights. Especially in the Rockies.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2023, 08:09 AM »
Nice job Phil 👍👍✌️✌️✌️😜
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2023, 08:19 AM »
Nice haul! There is only 1 lake down here in NY that I know of where you can keep bass through the ice. Some of the biggest bass I have ever caught came through the ice! This one was from 2 yrs ago on Otisco lake. Had to throw her back.

Much of Canada protects bass during winter as well, but here they are closed from April to mid June. My son and I caught a bunch on a small pond Near Loon Lake in the Adirondacks a few years ago. We had gone across the border to pick up my new Nils at the time, and a friend let us access his pond to test it. I don't know if they were legal at the time, but we released them all.

Funny enough that you mention it, but 2 of my 3 biggest largemouth ever, were caught on ice, and both came from tiny waterways where you'd least expect them from.

This one was a 22+ incher that I somehow miraculously got through a 6 inch hole. Scale was frozen, so couldn't weigh it.

This one was a stout 5 lbs at 20.5 inches, just about the girth of the 8 inch hole.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2023, 10:08 AM »
That's quite  a haul for a day trip, unless you stay a couple nights. Especially in the Rockies.

Yah I do a lot of day-trips. :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2023, 10:31 AM »
Yah I do a lot of day-trips. :P

In laws had a place in Southwest CO, first Trout lake, then Wilson Mesa. I've only been there in summer, wife and kids used to ski there in winter.

One of my sons did a bit of ice fishing there, accessing the lakes he fished was a total nightmare, and he encountered very deep snow cover and thick ice when he was able to finally get to some of the lakes. He did manage some very nice trout a couple times.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2023, 11:28 AM »
Nice report Phil, great pics.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2023, 12:00 PM »
Much of Canada protects bass during winter as well, but here they are closed from April to mid June. My son and I caught a bunch on a small pond Near Loon Lake in the Adirondacks a few years ago. We had gone across the border to pick up my new Nils at the time, and a friend let us access his pond to test it. I don't know if they were legal at the time, but we released them all.

Funny enough that you mention it, but 2 of my 3 biggest largemouth ever, were caught on ice, and both came from tiny waterways where you'd least expect them from.

This one was a 22+ incher that I somehow miraculously got through a 6 inch hole. Scale was frozen, so couldn't weigh it.

(Image removed from quote.) 

This one was a stout 5 lbs at 20.5 inches, just about the girth of the 8 inch hole.

(Image removed from quote.)   (Image removed from quote.)

Good deal! I hope to be getting out in 3 weeks! Very warm in central ny this year!
Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2023, 12:20 PM »
Good deal! I hope to be getting out in 3 weeks! Very warm in central ny this year!

Planning a trip to NYC on January 22nd, staying with a friend in Monsey. Guessing It's still going to be open water in that area by then.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2024, 04:23 PM »
Nice
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.