Author Topic: Ice Shack building tips??  (Read 6927 times)

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Shack building tips??
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Hey guys I just bought a new ice shack last night. Im going to be making some changes to it to get it just how I want it and was wondering if you have and tips to give me before I start into it tonight. Its a 6x8' shack that is made to be portable at the moment but Im going to make it a bit more sturdy since I will just be using it at the one lake. It has sheetmetal walls with aluminum frames, and a wood floor with 4 holes and a tarp roof. I plan on making a plywood roof for it and adding a couple windows and reinforcing the door. Anything else you guys could add or suggest? I might put a wood stove in it if I can find a small cheap one for sale or maybe build one, that or just use a propane tank with a butterfly heater.

Thanks,

Offline Trigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shack building tips??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Put tin on the roof aswell, you won't be sorry.
______________________ ____________________________________ ___________

Offline Bearcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Go with a tin roof for sure.  I would go with a wood stove, I find it helps to keep the floor a bit dryer.  If you do any sight fishing, maybe reconsider the windows, or else make sure you can cover them to allow you to see down the holes better.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:35 PM »
you cant really see to far down the holes where I fish so sight fishing doesnt really come into play that much...maybe I should build the plywood roof and then tin it..? I was also thinking about maybe puting 1" styrafoam on the walls for insulation and sound quaility? With the sheetmetal walls im thinking it might be pretty loud in the wind plus it would add some insulation?

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Vents are a must for oxygen and air flow.

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:41 PM »
As far as the tin goes, check with your local newspaper or print shop and ask them for printer tin. The tin (I believe its actually aluminum) is used in the printing process and has to be discarded after it is used. I built a 6' x 6' ice shanty, sided it with 1/4" plywood and covered the plywood with the printer tin. I covered the entire shack with printer tin for under $10.

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline snap-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:21 PM »
go with the tin roof and go with the wood stove much better heat the propne heat is a;ways so wet

Offline Shack Man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:27 PM »
There is a section on this site dedicated to shack building, you can get to it from the forum link at the top of the page.
   FISHING IS LIKE SEX, WHEN IT'S GOOD IT'S REAL GOOD AND WHEN IT'S BAD IT'S STILL GOOD......

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:48 PM »
Last month...Princess Auto had a very nice wood stove for ice shantys.....cheap and small!
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Thanks guys I started working on it last night, tonight project is the windows and roof. I got a small piece of 1/4" plexiglass from a buddy its about 1' x 2.5' I think im going to cut it in half and make 2 windows out of it. I am hoping to find a small wood stove for cheap if possible.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:11 PM »
What are you doing for the roof? When me and my buddy built his shack, we framed the roof and put the tin right on the 2x4s with vapor barrier under it. You could definitely get away with no vapor barrier though because the roof isn't going to be insulated I assume. His entire shack was insulated and built like house. It's nice once it's on the ice but it's a tank to move.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline wisebeyondmyyears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:07 PM »
i got mine insulated save for the roof and the corner where the stove is. if i do the roof then i have to crouch down even farther, i regret building it so short but i don't need to dismantle for travel.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Im going to price out the cost differences tonight when im getting supplys. But im planning on going with a 2x4 frame with plywood then covering it with tin afterwards...but im not sure yet if im going to just put a flat roof on it or a bit of a peak?? Its going to cost a bit more for a peaked roof but will see...

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:12 PM »
Built a 6x8 shack 2 years ago with a friend.  it took three weekends to complete because we were building a 2 car garage also. 

We payed a max 35 dollars for all supplies and would like to thank the kind people at Wellman Lake that threw out a couch, oak panels, and other wood in the local dump.  The only thing we bought was 15 10 foot 2x4s.  cut them into 2x2's and made the frame out of that.  Used osb board, and  treated plywood for the outside portion.  Thought I had enough treated kickin around at the cabin but was a little short.  The base has 2 old snowmobile skis, and is very strong.  Has a couch, flipup shelf, 3 holes, window, insulation on roof, good size door. 

Plus good behind the snowmobile but it weighs a lot cause of the couch. 

Havent used it since the first year it was on the ice, and only caught one brook trout out of it. 

Here's some pics.

Offline TomToolery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:38 PM »
wood heat and no insulation   tin roof would have to have styrofoam to stop condensation, but other than that, there is no need to insulate   heat is dry and an appropriate sized stove (small) will keep you warm and toasty       been and done    Tom

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Last night I started on the roof... Im going with a peak roof with about 9" of rise in the middle. Im making it out of 2x4's and 2 4x8 sheets of plywood. I plan to use that for this season and in the spring ill cover it with tin. I just found out last night the wood stove I had lined up for it is gone so looks like ill have to maybe try to build one. Any suggestions on building your own wood stove??

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:14 AM »
i built one out of a 20 gallon drum  i put it on it's side and built a little cradle to hold the front and back off the ground. i then welded a steel plate over the open end and cut a hole in it for a door  below the door i drilled and tapped 3 1/2 inch holes to be plugged or open with bolts for the vent. on the top and towards the rear i had an old chimney collar from an old rusted out stove i used previous years. i cut a hole in the drum and pushed this collar into it and welded to seal it. it worked great! i suggesr you burn the hell out of it prior to installing in your shack to burn off any paint. the bolts in the front for the air kind of reminded my wife of frankenstein so she called it frankenstove, frank for short. i wish i still had that stove it was awesome! but someone stole it for scrap! good luck!

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:34 AM »
I would like to try building my own wood stove if I can...I can usually get scrap supplies and do a bit of welding myself. Does anyone know of some simple designs or plans I could look at? I have an Idea on my own but some diagrams or pictures would be great!

Offline Shack Man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I never tried this I came across it while doing some research, seems pretty good though.

http://www.hadfield.ca/Gear/stove.html
   FISHING IS LIKE SEX, WHEN IT'S GOOD IT'S REAL GOOD AND WHEN IT'S BAD IT'S STILL GOOD......

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:01 AM »
make one out of an old well perged 20 lb propane tank  somewhere on here I posted a picture lol   somewhere!      lots of old pre opd tanks around
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Im thinking somthing like this:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2008, 03:12 PM »

Offline Bearcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I built my stove's out of propane tanks, I love the thicker metal.  The first one I built looks much the Same as Mainehazmt's, except I put a flat top for cooking.  However, to make a long story short, I found there was not enough clearance with the propane tank standing right side up.  I totally burned out the box of the truck.  Got quite hot, warped the truck bed.  Anyhow, no one got hurt, live and learn.  I now turn the tank upside down and weld angle iron onto the handles in order to attach to floor.

Just my experience.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2008, 04:58 AM »
Put a skylight in the roof. You will be amazed at how much more light you will have inside. (unless your sight fishing)
If your building a stove be sure to make some type of removable tray for the bottom. Sure beats the heck out of digging the ashes out. Just slide out the tray and dump them.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I ended up curling in a bonspiel most of the weekend and didnt get a chance to build a stove...BUT during a few drinks after curling saturday night got talking to a guy who had a stove already that he wasnt using, its a bit bigger then I wanted but its made out of thin metal and really light. It will definitly heat the shack!! Ill have to get some pictures of it on here. Also I got it out on the ice and all set to fish...just need to find some time now to do some fishing.

The stove I got is kind of an oval shaped thin metal one, with a top loading spot for wood.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:08 AM »
The stove basically looks like this:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:29 PM »
an ol ashley imitation!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:53 PM »
wow the amount of time u spent askin questions you could have bout and paid for a new heater like that! thats what i go tin my place and it works great! just make sure u store it in a very dry/ ventilated place! don't take much to rot them out!

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Do you really want a wood stove in a 6x8 shack?It will be very warm for sure.

Offline Trigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Do you really want a wood stove in a 6x8 shack?It will be very warm for sure.

I got one in a 4x8 and yes it gets hot but you can always crack the door open. Better to have one then nothing at all
______________________ ____________________________________ ___________

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.