Author Topic: We got Ice  (Read 7739 times)

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
We got Ice
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:05 AM »
We got ice in SC Neb now.  Ponds are all froze over with some close to 2" thick.  Seen clear ice on a few ponds yesterday.  Not much longer.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

GERALD

Re:We got Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 04:53 PM »
I heard that Sunday night / Monday morning it was 13 below in Valentine.  Hope this holds, I need a hard water break.  Gerald.

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:10 PM »
hey guys,

my buddy just called from chadron and whitney was froze enough to walk on, he had no way to cut a hole and didnt walk out in more than 10 yards. I go on vacation for two weeks so looks like i will be cutting holes.  

good luck
               james h

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2003, 12:02 PM »
Was at Grove Lake today, ice there near shore is a short 3", cold here next 3 days with temps not to exceed 30, coming soon. ;D

travismiller

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:27 PM »
I've been hearing uncomfirmed rumors of fishable ice.  Has anyone actually been out on the hardwater yet?  I am planning to go this weekend -- just need to decide where.

ps.  I am new to this site -- anything I should know?

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2003, 01:31 AM »
fishunter,

Whitney has got about 5" boxbutte has about 4" of good clear ice, Smith has 6" of ice and the panfish are going good, Shell has 6" but use caution have seen open water here when most of the lake has 12 to 14 inches of ice. Where are you located?

good luck
           james h.

travismiller

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Jaymzthefisher,

Thanks for the ice-update!  It sounds like it will be worth a trip for me.  I live in Lincoln, but I am from the panhandle.  Just moved out east, so I am kind of missing God's country.  Nothing like some ice fishing to get out of the city though!  

Thanks again!

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 09:15 PM »
hey fishunter

Yes I lived in lincoln for about four years but I had to get back home to many people down there and not enough Walleye

james h

kciH

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2003, 05:56 PM »
Went fishing today on a Omaha lake, there was about 3" of good clear ice.  Drilled alot of holes, but the fishing was very slow.  You'd want to be watching where you walk still, and make sure you've got your spikes with you.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2003, 11:38 PM »
I seen a few tents on Wehrspan Lake in Omaha :o. The ice was 2 to 3 inches. I think that I will wait another week before I go. kciH - What lake were you on?

kciH

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:45 AM »
I was on Standing Bear, hoping for some trout.  I left the fish house at home since the weather was decent.  Is Wehrspan frozen over?  Or just the shore?  That lake is kind of unpredictable as far as thickness goes from what I've seen.

Two bites in four hours was a little disapointing for first ice, I wasn't even marking fish.  At least I got my exercise drilling holes.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:00 PM »
The people I saw on Wehrspan were fishing the wetland area above the silt dam on HWY 370. I had my 6 year old with me, so I didn't walk across the lake to see how they were doing. I didn't look at the main lake but I checked out Zorinsky and it is froze over with less than 2 inches. I am going somewhere this weekend, hopefully 3 Mile in Iowa. Called the baitshop in Afton and he said it was froze over (about an inch thick) and thought it may be safe this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for more cold air :D.

fish_hooked

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2003, 06:50 PM »
Anybody fish Lake Whitney last weekend?  Heard about one fish in particular that was caught last weekend up there.  Anybody know about this? I went and fished Box Butte for a little bit. 6" of ice.

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:02 PM »
hey fish hooked,

what did you here about Whitney? I hear every year that someone caught a state record eye at whitney just one of them tales.  

How did you do at the resivoir this weekend?

james h.

GERALD

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:06 AM »
Drove by Meskentine by Stanton on Sunday the 15th  while pheasant hunting.  Talked to two guys in the parking lot and was told there was 4" of ice and were catching bluegills and crappie.  Had to sort thru them to get some keepers.  Gerald.

travismiller

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2003, 02:56 PM »
I fished Smith Lake over the weekend -- around 6 inches, but the ice got thinner as the day went on.  Snow cover made for a lot of work moving around on the ice -- I think snowshoes would have been much better than ice cleats!  Not a lot of fish caught -- a couple smaller pike, and some small perch.  It was a nice chance to try-out some new gear though -- always a plus!

fish_hooked

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2003, 04:38 PM »
Yeah, I heard a gal caught a 13 pounder last weekend at Whitney.  I didn't catch anything but hammer handles at BB.

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:46 PM »
I would definately believe a 13# came out of Whitney.

james h.

kciH

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:08 PM »
I drove by Standing Bear tonight on the way home from work, the ice still appears sound despite the temperate weather.  I'll be heading out first thing in the morning for a little fishing.  I won't be heading for the depths, as the geese seem to have found a place to land that wasn't previously there, but the Northern bay still seems fairly sound.  If any like minded fishers are about, stop and say hay.

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Was at Grove Lake today and watched a pair of guys pull a few gills and a couple of perch.  Ice there is a short solid clear 4", but south end is open.  I myself am holding out for that 5" of good ice, call me chicken.

trueicelover

« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Went fishing today on a Omaha lake, there was about 3" of good clear ice.  Drilled alot of holes, but the fishing was very slow.  You'd want to be watching where you walk still, and make sure you've got your spikes with you.
what lake in omaha ??? i'm from omaha ;D ;D ;D ;)

trueicelover

Re: We got Ice
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2004, 12:08 PM »
i'm finally heading out today ;D ;D ;D. i'll post my catch i seen a couple of guys already out hope the fishing is goooooooood ;D ;D ;D

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2004, 06:09 PM »
Trueicelover-
Let me know how you did today.
I am going out this Sunday - don't know where yet.
I am trying to find someone that is willing to let my father-in-law and my 7 yr old son and I on some farm ponds. The ice should be real good on the ponds. I don't want to take my son on the bigger lakes right now. The ice is too sporadic. I walked on the ice at Wherspan and it was at least 7 inches, then went about 30 ft out and it was only 2-3 inches. Seen some guys fishing Zorinsky today.

If anyone wants to do some fishing, let me know.

Chad

trueicelover

« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2004, 07:34 AM »
Trueicelover-
Let me know how you did today.
I am going out this Sunday - don't know where yet.
I am trying to find someone that is willing to let my father-in-law and my 7 yr old son and I on some farm ponds. The ice should be real good on the ponds. I don't want to take my son on the bigger lakes right now. The ice is too sporadic. I walked on the ice at Wherspan and it was at least 7 inches, then went about 30 ft out and it was only 2-3 inches. Seen some guys fishing Zorinsky today.

If anyone wants to do some fishing, let me know.

Chad
i went. but it was too windy! i need spikes of some kind to hold my hut down. zorinski had about 4 in where i went in the channell. as soon as i opened my hut the wind caught it like a balloon and damn near blew my 30 feet across the ice. crazy stuff. might go today if i can get away from the family for a few hours. :-\ :-\

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Heading out today. We are going to try some ponds near Denison, Iowa. The ice around Omaha looked a little iffy after that nice warm Christmas day >:( I'll post our results and good luck!

Chad

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:35 AM »
 ;D Got out on the ice  :D It was a great day. The ice was around 8 inches (somewhere near Denison, IA). We caught lots of Bluegills that were 8-10 inches and caught 1 crappie that was 12 inches. It was a good feeling to be on the ice. Hopefully, it will last so I can go up there this saturday. We are also going to hit South Dakota (Waubay, Pickeral, Roy, Lynn) on Jan 8 - 12.

See ya on the ice - let's go fishing!!!

trueicelover

« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2004, 06:47 PM »
 ;D YEAH WE WILL HAVE TO HOOK UP. I WORK TONS MAINLY FOR ME A WEEK DAY SOMETIMES I GET FRIDAY OR SATURDAY OFF. WE WILL HAVE TO SET SOMETHING UP WHEN IT GETS A LITTLE COOLER. I HEAR IT;S SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE 50'S ALL WEEK :%$#!: :%$#!: WITH SOME RAIN ON FRIDAY, THAT WILL RUIN THE ICE >:( >:( >:(

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2004, 11:47 AM »
If the ice is safe, I'm going to go back where we were fishing last weekend. Trueicelover - If you want to go, send me a message.

LOOKS LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER VEXILAR!!!!!

Chad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.