Author Topic: Perch call  (Read 8708 times)

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch call
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:35 PM »
I have seen mentions of people using a heavy piece of chain to beat the bottom and draw perch in. Or help keep them in the area. Curious of more details on that.

Is it always effective or does it have it's place?

Can you over do it?

Any info is appreciated.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Perch call
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I use a piece of copper pipe on tip up line ..cant say it my go to tactic ..but an option..like crushed egg shells.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:49 PM »
just make sure you say "more cowbell!" before you do it.

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:26 PM »
I use a piece of copper pipe on tip up line ..cant say it my go to tactic ..but an option..like crushed egg shells.

What is this about crushed eggshell now? Basically a newb when it comes to perch. Have to drive a few hours to get them and slowly learning. But none of my friends know much either. All just trial and error at this point lol.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:18 PM »
The egg shells flutter to the bottom ..and as they do they attract surrounding fish
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Hmmm i always thought  the oltimer spear guys dropped eggshells on bottom to brighten up the spear hole and add some contrast.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:22 AM »
Hmmm i always thought  the oltimer spear guys dropped eggshells on bottom to brighten up the spear hole and add some contrast.

Yup...or navy beans. Never used them as an attractant or knew anyone that did.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Just thump the bottom with your lure/jig. Sound travels well under water and they pick up on it naturally and it doesn't take much noise to do it. The little puffs of silt it kicks up helps the illusion of something edible and peaks interest. Eggshells are sometimes effective for light biting sight fishing contrast, I'm usually more interested in the hard boiled egg that originally was inside

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:00 PM »
I have had mixed success with ice cubes filled with mixture of coffee grounds, mashed garlic & sea salt. Cubes sink to bottom and quickly melt.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Perch are curious creatures. They are like cats in a way. Something grabs their eye and they want to check it out.

A summer tactic that works very well is to tie bright colored pieces of cloth to your anchor rope. It’ll draw them in for a look and when/if they come in you can jig for them off the side of your boat.

Winter really isn’t that much different. I employ a very different approach to finding perch than most with the way I incorporate tipups into the mix. Tip ups are a search tool. Once fish have been located with them (I’m constantly moving them until flags start going up) I’ll lock down a bit and break out a jig pole. I’ll always always have something with flash...whether it’s a slender spoon, beaded spoon, kast master, etc. it has to have flash to tap into a perch’s need to be nosy. If they are aggressive more often than not they’ll go after that spoon. If they are a bit more neutral I’ll go with a two rod approach with the 2nd being a dead stick within 10 feet of my flashy bait.

Of course perch that are suspended over deep water require a different approach. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Just made this..

Homemade Perch Talker. Didn't have any metal beads but the glass ones and props might do to the trick.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2020, 11:03 PM »
I have a bunch of duck decoy cord with about 6 1 inch washers on it. Stirs up the bottom real good! Something usually comes in for a look. Have switched to using a ripping rap instead- you can catch them on that when they appear.

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.