New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eye Splitters - Lures  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
Eye Splitters - Lures
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Greetings

Do they make some sort of Eye Splitter accessory for putting the rings on a fishing lure?  I am so aggravated right now I could punch someone.  I just spent an hour trying to get the rings on Northland Fire-Eye Minnow lures.  I don't know, for the life of me, why they do not come with them already on them.  It is a pain in the ass to get them on there, you chip half the paint.  What a pain in the ass.  They are so fat at the top that it is nearly impossible the get the ring wide enough to slide on. 

Have you ever encountered this situation?  What do you use?

Rob Taylor

JJ

Re: Eye Splitters - Lures
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:25 PM »
I think you are talking about split ring pliers.

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:27 PM »
Thats exactly what I mean.  Sorry to vent.  I am so irritated right now.   :%$#!:
Rob Taylor

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:45 PM »
I'm sure it sucks now, but when you're out there in a few days, you'll be laughing at the whole situation. I will be anyways....lol Obviously, you don't have the pliers needed, so here's what i do when i have to do that. I have a bunch of knifes, some from when I was a kid and many not very much good anymore....even with a sharpening. So what i do is use a very small pocket knife, slide the tip of the knife up under the the end of the ring  and then twist the knife slowly to spread the ring open a little. I don't how big the piece is you're trying to get it over, but that has always worked for me. Good luck!

mike

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:11 AM »
I'm sure it sucks now, but when you're out there in a few days, you'll be laughing at the whole situation. I will be anyways....lol Obviously, you don't have the pliers needed, so here's what i do when i have to do that. I have a bunch of knifes, some from when I was a kid and many not very much good anymore....even with a sharpening. So what i do is use a very small pocket knife, slide the tip of the knife up under the the end of the ring  and then twist the knife slowly to spread the ring open a little. I don't how big the piece is you're trying to get it over, but that has always worked for me. Good luck!

mike

Yep.  And that is what I was trying to do and it was a pain.  I'll laugh the next time i catch a fish on one.   :clap:
I need to get a pair of those plyers.  Thanks for the reply.  I feel better now.   :thumbsup:

Rob Taylor

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:21 AM »
Couldn't you just use a snap or a snap swivel?

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Couldn't you just use a snap or a snap swivel?

he is talking about the ring that connects the hook to the body of the lure, so no

billybono

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:37 AM »
I was picturing putting a split ring at the top of a pimple. Definitely a job for ring pliers. Bass pro or gander should have them. The smaller they are the bigger the pain. I believe gamagatsu has come out with a split ring friendly treble too. It has a thinner edge on the top hole.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:40 AM »
Split ring pliers is what you need as stated above.
But don't run off to wally world and buy a $2.00 pair you'll regret it.
I buy alot of my saltwater lures in bulk and learned the hard way, one good pair will last you a lifetime so spend a couple extra bucks and you will be happy.

Wellsy

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:52 AM »
I do use snaps. I pry open the top end, put it in place, then soder it closed. It is SO much easier to change hooks this way. I change hooks frequently, for different types of fishing. Those split rings, even with the pliers are a pain. I wish someone would make snaps that open at both ends, so I wouldn't have to soder.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.