New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: drinking on the ice  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
drinking on the ice
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:35 PM »
For all you guys who like to party out on the ice, I understand I am young and do my fare share of parting but if your going to drink on the ice please take your trash with you ,I know most of you don't do this but take the little extra time to pick up your trash . in the last couple days on numerous lakes I have been on ,I have been picking up wrappers ,beer bottles ,cans , and boxes please pick up your trash this is what ruins it for everyone else , if you want to keep fishing out on your favortie lake just be more responsible its not that hard to throw the trash in you sled and throw it out later . keep the lakes clean when you leave trash everywhere your making a bad name for icefisherman in general , TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!!!
Sax

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: drinking on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Ditto!

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:44 PM »
jIGGA21  i could not agree more.  Ya carry it in, Ya carry it out.  Way too simple!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:25 PM »

Its the right thing to do, be responsible for your own trash and don't contribute to polluting the waters and areas that we are all fortunate enough to have and enjoy! I agree hole heartedly!  :tipup:

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:36 PM »
When we lose access to ice fishing spots, its usually because of litter or other inconsiderate behavior.  I've seen some real messes in the past few years, and it makes you wonder how long before they kick us all out of another good spot.  I was on Perch Lake, the first year they opened it back up for ice fishing, and I saw bottles, cans, and propane cylinders all over the place.  We all get a bad reputation thanks to a small percentage who act like slobs.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:39 PM »
my biggest complaint is cigarette butts!!!!!!! and i smoke so its really not that difficult not to throw your butts all over the place. i just flick the head off and put the butt in my pocket, now lets all learn from this and pick up your crap!!!

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline toes r cold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:38 PM »
For all you guys who like to party out on the ice, I understand I am young and do my fare share of parting but if your going to drink on the ice please take your trash with you ,I know most of you don't do this but take the little extra time to pick up your trash . in the last couple days on numerous lakes I have been on ,I have been picking up wrappers ,beer bottles ,cans , and boxes please pick up your trash this is what ruins it for everyone else , if you want to keep fishing out on your favortie lake just be more responsible its not that hard to throw the trash in you sled and throw it out later . keep the lakes clean when you leave trash everywhere your making a bad name for icefisherman in general , TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!!!

Thank you VERY much for your concern and statement! As a camp owner on Oneida lake the spring brings in alot of crap. I'm on the east side of my bay so all the junk gets pushed into me with a W or N/W wind. Thats what Oneida has most of the time. You sound like my kids, I've drilled it in to them on littering. I hope you have a great season and New year!

Offline fallsonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:44 PM »
Take only pictures (and fish ), leave only footprints.

Steve  ><,))'>
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:29 AM »
my biggest complaint is cigarette butts!!!!!!! and i smoke so its really not that difficult not to throw your butts all over the place. i just flick the head off and put the butt in my pocket, now lets all learn from this and pick up your crap!!!

water
yes this is what I see the most ,bring a soda bottle or can to throw your butts in
Sax

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:04 AM »
Let's expand the request to include non-drinkers as well. As an ice drinker, I'm somewhat offended to be singled out. I've seen plenty of sober slobs on the ice too. Heck, if I've had enough to drink, I usually see TWICE as many!  ;D

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:04 AM »
I agree.. Most of us stop at some type of store on the way and can get one of those lovely plasttic bags when we leave.  I always tie one to the support rod in my hut by where I sit.  Put all my garbage in there and then throw the bag in a bucket at the end of the day and dispose of properly.  We dont need garbage on the ice including line.  This also is great for in the boat.  Hate when im out and there is s@$t floating around the water.

Offline bigfish1556

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:05 AM »
Just for a little more justification to bring your trash off the ice - remember - propane canisters and bottles/cans are generally much lighter at the end of the day than the full ones you somehow (strain/groan) managed to drag OUT onto the ice. Shouldn't be that hard to toss the empties in the sled and tote them back off with you  ;)  I usually bring two trash bags - one for the fish (hopefully) and the other for, you guessed it, trash!

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:05 AM »

water

NO NO Leave your cigarette butts on the ice!  When I visited Lake Champlain a few week ago it was easy to tell where to fish.  If there was a bunch of cig butts I figured the fishing must have been good there and usually was.  If there was only a couple cig butts then I would move along.  Cigarette butts are a great way to find where the best fishing is! ;D

Disclaimer:  I am kidding of course.  I do not want you to leave your butts on the ice.  But if you do, you are giving away your fishing location.

Ranger :tipup:

waterguy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:46 AM »
The people that are doing this....they dont care.....you can b***h all you want....so what I do is pick it up when I see it so they dont make me look bad! sucks but what are going to do! it only take one to make you look bad....well it only takes one or two to make us all look good!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Cigarette butts number 1 world wide source of pollution, .
Once again we need to police ourselves, don't be afraid to speak your mind as long as you have some class. Go barbarian and be ready to throw, I don't need any problems in my life so a drop of honey is always better than vinegar!
I do believe that most of us play the game with similar mindsets, hard to think for people who don't do it for themselves!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:36 AM »
This becomes a topic every year and like the waterguy says-- the slobs will con't to be slobs. Really ticks me off but i do the same thing and pick up after'em. I tell ya one thing though, don't be the SOB to let me see ya pack-up and leave with a bunch of s**t all over the place because your gonna get an ear full from me. Another problem is people that live in the area that can be slobs too. They leave paper,cans etc... all around their house/cottage and it blows onto the lake ???. Why would they do this living on a beautiful lake? Because SLOBS are just that SLOBS. I'm not sticking up for the ice fisherman that leave crap  on the ice because i get tired of picking up after them to but EVERYONE needs to join in the cause. stay On Top, Utes

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:38 AM »
i used to not think of my cigarette butts and toss them where they landed never really givving a thought to it being littering much, but this subject has raised awarness to me, although i quit smoking after christmas, i would not throw my butts around anymore :tipup:

http://www.cigarettelitter.org/index.asp?PageName=Facts

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:31 AM »
We need to police are selfs. I like to have barley pops out on the ice and I can honestly say I've never left one behind. I realize that you're not singling anyone out but there are people in this world that can drink responsibly.

That being said, it drives me nuts seeing cigs and beer cans/bottles left behind and I've done the "pick up after the slob that just left" thing. . A few weeks back (when we had ice) I was at honeyoe, there were tons of holes so I was just using ones that were already there. I walked up to one of them, look down and there was a propane cylinder someone had stuffed under the ice and a half pack of butts next to the hole!!! Unreal the disrespect for nature some people have

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2006, 12:44 PM »
We need to police are selfs. I like to have barley pops out on the ice and I can honestly say I've never left one behind. I realize that you're not singling anyone out but there are people in this world that can drink responsibly.
I also drink out on the Ice,  The reason I put "Drinking on the Ice" as the title was that most the trash I have seen recently out on the ice have been beer cans and bottles . Its fun to have a few out on the Ice ,just don't leave em out there .
Sax

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.