New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How does the ice behave.......  (Read 1234 times)

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
How does the ice behave.......
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Im sure this one has been up here before, but with all the iffy weather here in WNY, it would be great to hear from all how the ice behaves during cold snaps, warm spells, and everything inbetween (sp?)  Anyways.... I know when its well below freezing, the ice makes a ton of noise as it is expanding as it forms.  During warmer spells, there are springs, honeycombing and runoff from streams and creeks that can cause weak ice in places.  I would like this thread to bring out all possible ice conditions and corresponding weather conditions as my fellow ice fishermen have experienced in the past.  I think the more knowledge you have on this subject, the better off you are.

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How does the ice behave.......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:41 PM »
Slip,
I had some of my best days in scarey ice...nowadays if I'm wondering and nobody else is out there, I'm not going to be the first!

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I do the same... dont want to be the first one out there but if there are guys out there, Ill join them!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Theres good cracks (making ice sounds)and bad cracks (cracking on thin ice).

First ice and last ice i will not go on a spot alone unless someone else is out there and if the bite is hot and everyone is leaving so am I it stinks but better then going through with noone around.

ON the ice this year when it doesnt have water on top I stay away from all known springs inlets and outlets and any wet spots and dont step on the cracks/ridges.

just use your head and always think safety first :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:16 AM »
If your not to sure of the conditions,don't venture out there.If you do always make sure you have a partner.... :tipup:
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:00 AM »
if im not sure i wear a PFD and i always carry my ice piks.

thats why i like my early and late season spot, its onlt 5' deep :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:05 AM »
If the ice looks like swiss cheese stay off. If your are not sure about new ice, drill a hole with your hand auger every 20' or so. Stay away from pressure ridges, open water, or boat houses with bubblers in the water. The ice can be thin or spongy in these areas.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:38 AM »
I was out on Monday in my area....before the warm spell we had 9inches of ice..and I figured all would be good...Like most of you I had to step over some open water at the shoreline but the ice seemed solid. So about 10 feet out (15 feet of water) I did my first test hole...showed about 7-8 inches of ice..so once again all is well in books...But there is this non stop sound echoing from under the ice and on occasion I can feel the ice move under me...and the constant pressure cracks kept me on my toes...I knew the thickness and was very safe but because I was alone and the only guy on the ice I was very uncomfortable..after about 2 hours I had had enuff of the sounds and the uneasy feeling so I called it a day..

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:43 AM »
If it looks bad and sounds bad???
Keep in twos and spread out. Stay from areas that look different, may not be uniform thickness. Ice is always worst went it warmer, the runoff makes it honeycombed, on thick ice its not that bad 10-12 inches.
when its cold making noise it groaning and growing.
Good luck and always keep your eyes open!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:27 AM »
One good thing is when there is a warm spell after there is good ice, there is usually a lot of runoff, so the shore ice is often the worst ice (except for further out in larger bodies of water). 

So in these situations, you won't even be able to get out to the good/questionable ice (unless you like wading).  So it kind of protects you from yourself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.