New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Underwater lights  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Armymedic.2

• IceShanty Rookie
Underwater lights
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Try as I might I cannot find anything on the DEc website about using underwater lights in New York to attract fish.  Is this legal during ice fishing?  I'm sorry I keep asking regulations questions but the D EC website is like a labyrinth

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater lights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:31 AM »
AS long as you are trying to attract bait fish then you are ok. I used them with limited success. Really wore the battery down quick. Maybe with the LED's that won't be a problem.....
      Kim :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:38 AM »
I use the Quarrow 90 LED green light hooked up to a 12v9ah battery.  I can't say for sure if it helps me catch fish, because I have done just as well with just a propane lantern on top of the ice in the past, but it doesn't seem to be hurting it either.  What I have noticed is that the gills and sunnies stay active for much longer after dark compared to using just a propane lantern.  I always use it when I'm out night fishing for crappies or gills now. 

Offline perchnut56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:12 AM »
i won an underwater light led that is completely waterproof  seem to be wicked bright do you actually put them down the hole or you just lay them on the ice?

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:24 AM »
i won an underwater light led that is completely waterproof  seem to be wicked bright do you actually put them down the hole or you just lay them on the ice?

Put it down the hole, in the middle of the water column.  Fish the outer areas where the light dims to darkness.  Glow jigs tipped with glow plastics or spikes/waxies work well.  Slip bobber rigs with a minnow work very well.  Setting up tip-ups around the perimeter of the light pattern worked but with minimal success.  I'm not really a tip-up guy, I hate getting out of the warm shanty to check the bait and break the ice.

Btw, I still use a propane lantern inside of my shanty even with the underwater light.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:29 AM »
They work better for soft water than ice, but they work, Bait fish circle the light and attract game fish

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:46 AM »
i have a green tube light i have used it on ice but open water is when it shines jigging pannies late at night you can fill coolers in no time as far as legal there are no laws in the regs guide that say its not

Offline Armymedic.2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Awesome.  Im going to give a flashlight in a mason jar a shot  next week and see how that goes.   I have a littl flashlight that runs forever

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Awesome.  Im going to give a flashlight in a mason jar a shot  next week and see how that goes.   I have a littl flashlight that runs forever

The jar will float unless the jar and the weight inside the jar is heavy enough to over come the air volume inside the jar.

PC

Offline Armymedic.2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Roger that.    I have weight!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.