New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: jingle bells on flags  (Read 1999 times)

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
jingle bells on flags
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Just after Christmas my honey and I were discussing Crappie fishing after dark and using tip ups.  She came up with the idea of hooking some Jingle bells to the flags and it works great.  We even leave them on during the day so that you can hear them inside the tent. Has anybody else done this. :tipup:
Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

billybono

Re: jingle bells on flags
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:53 PM »
i took it a step further http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=30384.0

billybono

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:03 PM »
That's cool for sure but I've got about a buck invested in 50 jingle bells. ;D
Dave

Offline FISHON-2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:42 AM »
YEAH,THATS A GRAET IDEA I HAVE HALF A DOZEN THAT HAVE BELLS AND GLOW IN .THEY SCREW ON TO THE END OF YOUR FLAG OR JIG POLE.I ORDERDED THEM THROUGH PETERSONS ICE FISHING CATALOG. WORKS GREAT!!!
                                                                            CLAY

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:11 AM »
They work well , I have those screw on bells / glow ,I got them at Wal-mart very cheap. they have springs and each has 2 bells attached.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:28 AM »
My cousin puts those on his Heritage Lakers.  We usually hear his flags before we see them. ;D

Ranger :tipup:

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Great idea.  Billy Bono's setup is off the chart on cool but I like the simplicity of this.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:06 AM »
They work well , I have those screw on bells / glow ,I got them at Wal-mart very cheap. they have springs and each has 2 bells attached.

lol scott, i just bought the last 4 last weekend ;D i was thinking at first that the wind would jingle them but we had a good wind all day and thay only jingled when they were wipped up in the air when the flag popped, also i like the fact they come with the opening to stick in a glow stick for night time :tipup:

Offline jackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grrrr......
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:22 AM »
kirkwooders - great idea, think I'll give it a try.  What did you use to attach to the flag?  Was the weight of the bells a factor?  Details, please...
grrrr...... jackbear

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I fish with a guy that uses the bells,I have to admit it works well and you can definately hear them!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

billybono

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:07 AM »
the problem i had with them is i had to be right on top of em to here em. i was also using them on tip downs, and had many instances where a fish would hit and they wouldent jingle

billybono

Offline ladyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:51 AM »
my fishing partner also has some entry alarma on his tipdowns.  we picked ours up on a summer road trip.  we were at a dollar store outside of Waterloo.  he attached his between the base and the pole.  works great.  better if you are in front of them,but you can really hear them.

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:26 PM »
kirkwooders - great idea, think I'll give it a try.  What did you use to attach to the flag?  Was the weight of the bells a factor?  Details, please...
My tip ups are Frabill's, Arctic Fire. I simply put three bells on a twist tie and wrapped the other end around the flag pole just above the flag. Make sure to keep the bells from touching each other, they seem to make more noise that way. 

I Picked the bells up at Wal-Mart after Xmas for $0.44 a pack of 25 or 30.  Make sure to use the bigger bells. They make more noise.  I haven't tried them on my old stand up tip ups yet, because I don't think that the springs that the flags are on would be strong enough, but I'll give them a try too and let you know.
Dave

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:47 PM »
i too use the dual bell set up from wall mart on my noreaster tip ups works great!!
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:56 AM »
If you have to, push your spring down a little [on the tip up ] to put more snap on the release it will make the bells ring and weeker springs lift the extra wt. of the bells.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline jackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grrrr......
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:05 AM »
I haven't tried them on my old stand up tip ups yet, because I don't think that the springs that the flags are on would be strong enough, but I'll give them a try too and let you know.
Dave

Yeah, his is what I got, I'll have to experiment a bit and see if my flags have enough snap to get them in the air and jingle!
grrrr...... jackbear

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:03 PM »
this is what i use, works for day and night :tipup:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=36583

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.