New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Micheal's Wholesale bait raided by the feds  (Read 6278 times)

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Micheal's Wholesale bait raided by the feds
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Their bait regs must be even more strict than they are here in NY?  >:(

Offline jay c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:44 PM »
There is nothing to laugh about. They are one of two suppliers for Northen New York.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:37 PM »
All I can say is amen and it's about time. I can say first hand that he deserves everything he gets.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Wow thats pretty crazy :o

Offline pembroke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:50 PM »
 What do you think this will do to the price of bait? These guys are one of the biggest wholesaler in the north east.

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:32 PM »
What do you think this will do to the price of bait? These guys are one of the biggest wholesaler in the north east.

The baitshops will probably jack up there prices and try to get a piece of the pie

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Problem will be supply a lot of shops will not get delivery's, Learn to Jig Boyz. This is one of the downfalls of the new baitlaws.
Mr.Esox

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:35 AM »
The baitshops will probably jack up there prices and try to get a piece of the pie

Yup, those greedy small businessmen who rely on your trade to put food on their tables will certainly be getting rich off this one. They'll all be on vacations in Bermuda deep sea fishing with the extraordinary profits they're gonna reap from that 2 dozen minnows you're gonna buy.  ::)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline duckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2009, 05:49 AM »
  Well here in NY we can keep our bait for a week in VT you can't take it of the Lake and the prices aren't to bad I have no real complaint haven't seen to many rich bait shop owners.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:06 AM »
Yeah, it kills me when guys start complaining so much about the price of bait fish. Thinking the bait shop owners are raking in the cash. ??? I have yet to see a bait shop attached to a mansion. Most of the guys here have their small shops attached to their houses. My favorite "arts bait shop" is a tiny little shack on the side of the road. Wood stove, rocking chair and bait tanks. That's it. Doesn't make me feel bad at all paying 3.50/doz for bass shiners that I can only keep for a week.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:23 AM »
In 60+ years of fishing I've NEVER known a bait shop owner who was able to retire on his earnings.

Old Bait Shop owners never die. They just let their tanks go dry... ;D
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline pembroke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:43 AM »
I should have been clearer with my 1st post. I was referring to the wholesale price of bait. I also own a bait shop and when the prices at the wholesale level goes up so does the retail price. No one in the bait business is even making the margins they where before the new laws. With fewer suppliers to chose from I think bait will again take a hit!
Larry
Pembroke

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:48 AM »
At my local shop, he makes very little from Live bait sales and trust me he sells a crap load of minnows every season. His bread and butter is the tackle business. He is not getting rich from either.

There is a lot of talking smack about this wholesaler but I do not see any one backing that smack up with facts.

Does anyone have any information on exactly what this business is in trouble for?

Or is this just another NY thread destine for the Grumpy old men shanty?

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2009, 08:53 AM »
2/16/09   4 doz. emeralds    western ny  6.50  +52 cents tax  to   govt . but everyone b***hes about small guy.  multiply that times number sold everyday...... my personal opinion is we better start payin att. to all the little taxes paid over and over again on our a dollar already taxed when we earned it.....   now you can send me to the grumpy ole man board.
youngster

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:47 AM »
2/16/09   4 doz. emeralds    western ny  6.50  +52 cents tax  to   govt . but everyone b***hes about small guy.  multiply that times number sold everyday...... my personal opinion is we better start payin att. to all the little taxes paid over and over again on our a dollar already taxed when we earned it.....   now you can send me to the grumpy ole man board.

I have never been charged any sales tax at the little store where I buy my minnows so maybe the place your buying them at are scamming you on it?? Wonder what the sales tax rules are in regards to minnow??

190 Guests, 193 Users................. ...................... ..
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline pembroke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Sale tax has to be collected on all bait sales. No one is scaming him.
Larry
Pembroke

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Sale tax has to be collected on all bait sales. No one is scaming him.
Larry
Pembroke

Thanks for the info!

So then the little corner store I buy my minnows at must be scamming uncle sam then and must be why they hand write their receipts(not that I care) ;)

192 Guests, 217 Users................. ...................... ...
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Some bait shops include the sales tax in the price of the bait ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Probably not. NYS is extremely difficult to deal with when it comes to tax on retail sales. My guess is that the $1.75 a dozen the bait shop charged includes sales tax and is reported separately. They just made it a round number to deal with.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Beat me to it Coldbum. ;D
RG

Offline Gotalimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep moving till you find em!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:05 PM »
UNreal!! How much was that 6 pack, a movie ticket, a ticket to a ball game, a night of bowling?? ::) ::) ::)

Offline Highlander2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:13 PM »
OK This Sucks, maybe one last good week-end, now a bait problem!!!  :tipup:

Offline Hop-Sing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Boys, the days of a Mom & Pop bait dealers trapping their own minnows and storing them in a pond are pert-near over.

In order for live bait to adhere to the Graves Act and cross state lines (e.g., from MA into NY or VT), most bait minnows have to be certified free of viruses, fungi, zebra mussel larvae and parasites, and originate from a hatchery that is approved to be disease-free. To do this, the wholesaler must purchase them in bulk from the hatcheries with facilities that are inspected and certified free of viruses, fungi, zebra mussel larvae and parasites.

The vast majority of certfied hatchery facilities are outside New England; most are in Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri.

By the time it arrives in Massachusetts in the 18 wheel tank trucks, the load usually has 15-20% of the minows suffering from the effects of shock from handling and journey. (The mortality rate is higher in the summer.) Most of these shocked bait die as they they make the bait store, or shortly thereafter. Yet, the wholesaler and local shop owner factor the cost of this unsellable/dead bait into their expenses.

So, when you think of how much you are paying, remember the behind-the-scenes costs for the wholesaler and the shop owners. Those golden shiners didn't swim from Arkansas ....

And NO, I am not affiliated with the Michael's Wholesaler Bait Company nor a family member or friend of the Zombiks.

And No I am not a fisheries biologist ......... but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Holiday Inn Express aside...exactly who are you and what is your connection to the bait industry?
RG

Offline Hop-Sing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:46 PM »
My son has owned a sporting goods store since 2004, and we sell a large quantity of live bait to customers who then transport it statewide and across state lines.

Live bait is a very, very bureaucratic industry that is closely regulated by ferederal and state agencies. Accordingly, we have to keep up on the state and federal reg's, and stay up on the ins-n-outs of the changes to avoid breaking the state or federal regulations, even inadvertently.

Since a major supplier of our wholesale bait is from Michael's, I called the natural resources regulators in our state to ensure that we had no problems at our shop. They filled me in with their understanding of the issues involved.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2009, 03:30 AM »
Thank You.
I appreciate your taking the time to present an accurate, informed post regarding this incident. Too many times, well intended, yet mis-informed individuals create controversy here.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.