Author Topic: Helix ice shuttle mods  (Read 2853 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Helix ice shuttle mods
« on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Looking to get some mods on my helix 5 shuttle for hole hopping.  Anyone got good mods?

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Helix ice shuttle mods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2020, 02:14 PM »
The common ones will be a lithium battery, rod holder, UV glow cup. I put a 12vdc - 2x5vdc USB converter on mine to power anything requiring usb power but mainly use mine because I mounted my Revolution 5 over the sonar unit. I built some aluminum offset brackets to drop the sonar unit down a couple inches to make room. I keep a UV flashlight and a floating knife strapped to mine. The knife is handy for cutting minnow head and bait up. Couple handwarmers in the side pockets and a bigger strap for carrying.
Oh and a pail lid strapped to the bottom to stop any abrasion. I've also fused the main power lead with I think a 10a auto fuse in a weather resistant holder.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2020, 02:47 PM »
The common ones will be a lithium battery, rod holder, UV glow cup. I put a 12vdc - 2x5vdc USB converter on mine to power anything requiring usb power but mainly use mine because I mounted my Revolution 5 over the sonar unit. I built some aluminum offset brackets to drop the sonar unit down a couple inches to make room. I keep a UV flashlight and a floating knife strapped to mine. The knife is handy for cutting minnow head and bait up. Couple handwarmers in the side pockets and a bigger strap for carrying.
Oh and a pail lid strapped to the bottom to stop any abrasion. I've also fused the main power lead with I think a 10a auto fuse in a weather resistant holder.

I bet that aqua view looks pretty sweet on top there.

Offline IceBug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Just started working on mine a couple days ago.  I went with a Genz Blue Box added an LED light and switch to front, paracord wrap around handle.  Will be adding aluminum transducer arm and some rod holders when they arrive.  Here it is so far...

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2020, 11:28 PM »
I don't have a Helix unit, but a couple of things I did to my Genz box was adding switched L.E.D. lights on the front and sides, cut the posts off of the Vexilar rod holders and bolted them to the front corners, added a RAM mount, lithium battery, added posts to the battery cover to run overhead 12v lights, a wire strap to hold a pliers/hemostat, and a little 3M locking tape on the side to hold a baitpuck. Also added a glo-ring and a cord tender for the tranducer cable.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Here is my Helix 7 setup:
I put a cutting board tray with wood posts to give me a "table" in my Flambeau Outdoors Ike backpack to rest the Helix on.
Helix has:
- 12aH Amped Outdoors Lithium
- Custom Glo Cup from Ebay seller
- Standard Humminbird shuttle
- Ram mount to clip Recon5+ camera to Helix shuttle Handle
- Have a 3D printed transducer arm coming for the bottom.

Advantages:
- Glo cup capable with switch on/off.
- lighter weight and can carry on back or sled when walking to spot.
- Helix packs away nice inside Ike backpack.
- backpack gives me more storage pockets
- "table" gives me height so I'm not bending over all the time looking down at electronics.
- Metal clip gives me camera right beside Helix....
- Lithium is lighter weight

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Here is my Helix 7 setup:
I put a cutting board tray with wood posts to give me a "table" in my Flambeau Outdoors Ike backpack to rest the Helix on.
Helix has:
- 12aH Amped Outdoors Lithium
- Custom Glo Cup from Ebay seller
- Standard Humminbird shuttle
- Ram mount to clip Recon5+ camera to Helix shuttle Handle
- Have a 3D printed transducer arm coming for the bottom.

Advantages:
- Glo cup capable with switch on/off.
- lighter weight and can carry on back or sled when walking to spot.
- Helix packs away nice inside Ike backpack.
- backpack gives me more storage pockets
- "table" gives me height so I'm not bending over all the time looking down at electronics.
- Metal clip gives me camera right beside Helix....
- Lithium is lighter weight

vanhln, that sounds great. Do you have pictures? 

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2020, 06:06 PM »
oHeyes,
Here is a closeup of the Glow Cup installed...  Notice there is still area under the handle to grab the shuttle when the Humminbird cover is installed.

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Looks great, thank you.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2020, 09:29 AM »
What’s the name of the glow cup on eBay? I was saw one from clancys. Also saw a vexilar one.  I tried to trick the ol lady into a revolution 5 for the shuttle and looks like a no.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:15 PM »
The glo cup is titled 'Get-Lit Glow Cup Portable 12v Ice Fishing Glow Ring Light' on ebay and sold by iceoutdoors.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.