Author Topic: Valpo Lakes 12-6-07  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Valpo Lakes 12-6-07
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Crappiehunter,

Do you use spring bobbers, regular bobbers, or are you a line watcher?  When sight fishing I've seen fish completely engulf my bait, and I never felt a thing!  What kind of line are you using?  I use 2 lb mono, and am going to give 1 lb a try this year.  The lighter lines are a lot more sensitive.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:18 PM »
It gives it a horizontal presentation when you turn the hook upwards.

If you are a using a teardrop style ice jig if your knot is tight pull the line down tight along the shaft of the hook, when you let go it will make the jig lay horizontally by the placement of the knot.  You may have to do it after each fish, takes all of 1/2 second to do, maybe 1 second with cold hands, but sometimes that slight difference is all it takes.
Interesting...............is that why you prefer the marmooska?

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:22 PM »
I'm using 4lb test and one of my poles has a spring bobber and the new genz pole doesn't. I've yet to catch a fish on the genz pole. Do you think I need a spring bobber on it? Maybe I should go down to 2lb. When I tried it before I didn't have decent reel and now I do so maybe I wouldn't have so much problem with it breaking. Thanks for the input!!!

Crappiehunter

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:27 PM »
I'm using 4lb test and one of my poles has a spring bobber and the new genz pole doesn't. I've yet to catch a fish on the genz pole. Do you think I need a spring bobber on it? Maybe I should go down to 2lb. When I tried it before I didn't have decent reel and now I do so maybe I wouldn't have so much problem with it breaking. Thanks for the input!!!

Crappiehunter
Everything factors into it Mike......color, bait, presentation, and yes even line......but remember one important thing.......sometimes, they just dont bite!!!!!!!!lol

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:06 PM »

When jigging do you always feel "connected" with the jig?  Is the weight of your jig heavy enough to completely straighten out your line?  If you are using a tiny jig the 4 lb line may be too much.  I prefer a spring bobber, but I've seen some people do very well just watching their line.  I don't like the spring bobbers that are currently on the market, though... I make my own.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Thanks Piggyn, any tips on how to make one? Sounds interesting. I appreciate the tips and will give it a try. I don't "feel connected" to the jig.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:08 PM »
The best spring bobber I have seen is made by Thorne Bros. in Minnesota. The spring bobber is like 2.95 however the threaded part with piano wire to thread your line thru the spring bobber is like 5.99. Rather salty however check them out on web. I do believe this is the MOST SENSITIVE ONE ON THE MARKET. In my opinion.

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:13 PM »
Anyone been on the north side of long yet or has seen anyone out there?
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Interesting...............is that why you prefer the marmooska?

That is exactly why I prefer the marmooska.  However, there are times I don't have the right color of marmooska, so I have to make due with other jigs and simply turn the hook up.  I learned it from a friend of mine I worked with back in Indiana when we would go ice fishing.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:13 PM »
The common cheap spring bobber you find works but it isn't as sensitive as some others.  I found one last year that is very springy, almost like a slinky.  I also bought some last year that just snap into the eyelet of your rod, which for some rods I use it just wouldn't work as the eyelet was way to small.  I did manage to get the thing into one rod I use, but when the spring got all messed up, my own fault, it is a pain in the ass to pull that plastic piece out and reinsert another one out on the ice with half frozen hands.

Top spring is the common spring.
Bottom spring is really springy.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Here's a video of today's conditions-12-28-07

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:55 PM »
Very similar to the thorne bros. spring. The difference is they have a molded rubberized tip that fits into your eyelet. Than they make a threader you thread into the spring- this makes feeding your line thru much easier. Check them out on their website: www.thornebros.com let me know what u think. You wont be dissapointed.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Thanks Piggyn, any tips on how to make one? Sounds interesting. I appreciate the tips and will give it a try. I don't "feel connected" to the jig.

By "connected" to the jig, I mean being able to feel every little up and down tick it's making as you jig it.  I will send you a PM about spring bobbers.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I've been making spring bobbers out of bic lighter springs for years. Just add some shrink tubing to the end going in your rod eye until it fits tight.Some of them I pull out [ make longer] for lighter jigs or the spring can be shortend for heavier jigs.I've got four rods with them permanetly glued in place and have yet to have one mess up.The Thorne Bros. spring bobber is the same deal but it is shorter than a bic spring. Although I've got one for my panfish sweatheart TB rod, I'd rather tight line with that rod.
Paul

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Sounds lite that will work just great- best of all is the price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.