The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jawjackers  (Read 29738 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jawjackers
« Reply #60 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:12 AM »
all I have used for 6 years are jawjackers so it's a good thing the ice has been crappy cause I got no functional gear.   

If that is the case, you should change your handle from JiggerMan to JawJackerMan;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Yep, they should change the name to Jacker Ice Downrigger.  Advertise that the loading on the rod only takes up slackline exactly as how any other downrigger functions.  Put it right in the advertising.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #62 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:38 PM »
If that is the case, you should change your handle from JiggerMan to JawJackerMan;) ;D

ruttnutt I actually meant instead of the tip-ups I have only used these.  I can only jig one so the other 4 were jawjackers. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:45 PM »
That's crazy! What happened to "presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty?!"  So even though they don't catch me doing anything wrong, they are going to assume I am?! I believe I would fight that...……………………………….  ;)

maybe if they didnt give me a fine and went to the next guy using them and gave them a fine they could say well you didnt give him a fine...  unless they come over and look at my gear to see the difference then they could say that they were targeted or treated unfairly. 

I think they meant if it was just used as a rod holder with out taking the pieces off that disable it. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:14 PM »
The shorter way of saying this is that you have to due process, i.e. notice and an opportunity to be heard. Without notice of the charges against you have no due process. With that said, there seems to alway be some b.s. catchall statute officers can use when they need to think of something!

In this case it seems pretty apparent they're making it up as they go and going on their interpretation of what's legal and not legal rather than actual law.  They admitted as much when they said the Lt. Col. made the determination.  No matter what stature they charge you with, even if it's a b.s. catchall as you called it they must prove that you're guilty of what they charged you with beyond a shadow of doubt.  Based on their replies you need a damn score card and a case of markers to keep up with how they're connecting the dots.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:48 PM »
ruttnutt I actually meant instead of the tip-ups I have only used these.  I can only jig one so the other 4 were jawjackers.

Ok-gotcha!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:19 PM »
If anyone gets a citation for using a self-hooking device in PA they should post it on tis site. We could band together and have a class action lawsuit. Otherwise I would not bother asking the fish commission. They may get a bug-up-their-ass and change the regulation. If I see a fish warden coming, I"m going to disengage the devices and tell him they are dead sticks.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:58 AM »
I agree! If anyone gets pinched, let us know...……………………………….there is power in numbers!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:50 PM »
PA is the last to change reg. for anything they just started letting us use motorized duck decoys witch all the states around us have been useing for years . I hope there ok to use I just made 2 of them and am dying to try them out. A/P  :tipup:

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:09 PM »
If anyone gets a citation for using a self-hooking device in PA they should post it on tis site. We could band together and have a class action lawsuit. Otherwise I would not bother asking the fish commission. They may get a bug-up-their-ass and change the regulation. If I see a fish warden coming, I"m going to disengage the devices and tell him they are dead sticks.

Nez: I would also like to know the lake or county the fish commission is harassing people for using these devices. Then we could be one the lookout for the SOBs. 
Let me say something positive about these devices: They are great for hooking trout who have a tendency for dropping bait. Another recommendation is to use a minnow or a combination of a minnow and a jig because fish seem to like moving bait. A flasher is very useful for setting the rig near the bottom.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:41 PM »
I have 2 of them, used them at tobyhanna last year, they are pretty cool, but definitely set the hook and are kind of in a GRAY area.  Talked to a nearby angler who asked me about them, said his take that he heard was by considering them legal it would open a loophole for using other spring, rubber band, ,etc hooking devices, then enforcement would be impossible. Stuffs starting to go on sale and i would like to get a couple more but dont want to chance a ticket. Keep updating this thread on whats going on. ???

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 09, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Who lives in Harrisburg and would like to represent our opinions?

I used these last year for pike, bass and pickerel and they were alot of fun.  In fact they prevented the fish from swallowing the trebles and hooked them in corner of the mouth.  Pretty much ideal for catch and release fishing.  I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone, but they ALMOST seem more ethical than standard tipups due to preventing the fish from swallowing or getting the hook in the gills.  They're also not foolproof...you still get false flags and missed fish.  Honestly, if I can catch more fish ethically and humanely, release them relatively unharmed and have a great time doing it, WHY WOULD THEY NOT WANT THAT???  This is why we buy the license, spend money on the gear (paying taxes in doing so), share stories and pictures (thereby getting others interested in the hobby) and perpetuate the sport.  Just because something is new doesnt necessarily mean its evil. 

Hey PFBC....WAKE UP and stop living in the stone-age.  There are so many ridiculous and antiquated laws and regulations in this old state it's hard to fathom.  We just want to be outdoors and have fun; most of us care about the fisheries and we do not want to harm them while engaging in this recreation.  When these new gadgets come out, the PFBC should look at them, analyze the positives and negatives and make a definitive ruling.  I hate interpretation and grey areas in regulations.  This is their job and they need to execute in a manner befitting a state-civil agency.  They exist to protect the fisheries and support those that support them.  How about PFBC starts leading from the front rather than always tailing behind the rest of the states.  That goes for the PGC as well. 

Terribly frustrating.  Rant complete.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Nez: I would also like to know the lake or county the fish commission is harassing people for using these devices. Then we could be one the lookout for the SOBs. 
Let me say something positive about these devices: They are great for hooking trout who have a tendency for dropping bait. Another recommendation is to use a minnow or a combination of a minnow and a jig because fish seem to like moving bait. A flasher is very useful for setting the rig near the bottom.
It was in Tioga county.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Let me say something positive about these devices: They are great for hooking trout who have a tendency for dropping bait.

Yep! Especially on those days when they are finicky biters! One day I had 3 JJ'ers going, one deadstick with a baitrunner reel and was jigging. Had 2 different fish(several hours apart) nibbling the bait on the baitrunner, but would not take it. Same thing jigging- fish would just sit there and play with the bait(you could see it on the flasher just sitting there for 5 min and nibbling) but could not hook it! But every time the JJ'er went off that day, there was a fish on! Ended up catching 3 on the JJ'ers and after 4 hrs of playing with the jigging rod, finally hooked one! It really showed how well those JJ'ers work!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #74 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:24 PM »
When purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse, they are tip ups, which are legal in PA
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-supplies/ice-fishing/ice-tip-ups-accessories/jawjacker-ice-fishing-tip-up/p/1285829

Chute82

« Reply #75 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:33 PM »
When purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse, they are tip ups, which are legal in PA
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-supplies/ice-fishing/ice-tip-ups-accessories/jawjacker-ice-fishing-tip-up/p/1285829

Ok, so only legal if your JJ identifies itself as a tip-up, would love to film that interaction with fish cop. 

Chute82

« Reply #76 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Little known fact in PA jawjackers are legal to use if the ice is 2 inches or less thick.

My JJ identifies as a down rigger 100% legal

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:13 PM »
My JJ identifies as a down rigger 100% legal

according to the fish commission downriggers are legal because they dont set the hook or so different officers told me.    actually stated that to 3 of them and got the same answer from all of them.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:02 AM »
LMBO! My JJ'ers identify as downriggers too!  ;D

So a downrigger does not set the hook?!  ???

"The purpose of a downrigger release is to hold the line firmly until a fish strikes your lure and creates enough resistance to hook the fish. Releases can be mounted at any location along the wire or between a cable and a weight"

Here is another source: http://www.fishingtarget.com/en/downrigger-basics-how-they-works.html

"The independent fishing rod is set in a holder attached to the downrigger or placed directly behind it on the gunwale. A bow is placed in the rod by tightening the line between it and the release on the downrigger cable. When a fish "strikes", it pulls the line from the release on the cable, and thereby sets the hook.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:42 AM »
just telling you what they told me when I said that downriggers do the same exact thing as a JJ.   

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:10 AM »
they said something along the lines that when your on a boat your in immediate control of the rod that has a fish on it.   

I personally think the  reasoning behind downriggers being legal is all about money.  if they made them illegal then that would negatively impact the charter boat industry in pa waters. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:48 AM »
just telling you what they told me when I said that downriggers do the same exact thing as a JJ.   

I know. Not trying to argue with you...…………………………….just the flawed logic of the PF&BC!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:54 AM »
they said something along the lines that when your on a boat your in immediate control of the rod that has a fish on it.   

I personally think the  reasoning behind downriggers being legal is all about money.  if they made them illegal then that would negatively impact the charter boat industry in pa waters.

Well, if I am "in immediate control" of a rod in a down rigger because I am in the boat, then I am also "in immediate control" of my JawJacker when I am on the ice!  ::)  And if you use that definition of a down rigger I posted above and compare it to how a JawJacker functions, it is identical!

I agree with you about the charter boats.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:10 PM »
You guys keep this us and the next thing you know they will outlaw downriggers!!
 >:( >:( >:(
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:19 PM »
Thanks so much for your concern Gunflint.............. ........but I’d suggest you worry more about controlling that snowdog of yours in Minnesota, than what we’re doing about our JawJackers here in Pa! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Thanks so much for your concern Gunflint.............. ........but I’d suggest you worry more about controlling that snowdog of yours in Minnesota, than what we’re doing about our JawJackers here in Pa! 😜

;D ;D ;D ;D great idea!
Veritas Odium Parit

Chute82

« Reply #86 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:49 PM »
You guys keep this us and the next thing you know they will outlaw downriggers!!
 >:( >:( >:(

Think Cannon downriggers company has a few more dollars to donate to political campaigns then the JJ company to keep then legal.  Something I learn in political science 101

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:23 AM »
Interestingly, on the JawJackers website, they advertise:

"The JawJacker is legal in your state or province as long you don’t live in Minnesota."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 15, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Interestingly, on the JawJackers website, they advertise:

"The JawJacker is legal in your state or province as long you don’t live in Minnesota."

Yup, racist discrimination... ::)  We're just to cold for them.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:55 PM »
I bought a JJ when they first came out just to see how they worked. First time I tried it for Trout, the score was JJ = 6, me and 3 Schooley's =2, I missed a bunch but the JJ didn't.
Based on a couple of trips like that, I got 6 more JJs, 3 for me and 3 for my son. So now what? Do you take the triggers off and just use them for rod holders or just keep going
and wait for the WCO to walk up and say "Son you in a heap O trouble"?   

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.