The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: when is an ice sled concidered an atv?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
when is an ice sled concidered an atv?
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:23 AM »
im making a powered ice sled for all of my gear. byron can contest that for me he seen it at hills creek. im not going to ride it it is just going to carry my tent and gear. all terrain "vehicles"  carry people im not riding it i just need help with my gear. at my work this is considered a power carrier not an atv. what do you guys think? am i gonna get some hassle.am i gonna have to smooth talk the fish commision if they come upon me on the ice. we use power augers that are louder than this is gonna be. what do you think

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
Re: when is an ice sled concidered an atv?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:48 AM »

If it will go anywhere it might be considered a motor vehicle and they might consider it a atv
willing to learn new tactics

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:08 AM »
I was wondering the same thing, I'm building a power puller to pull my sled with my 6800 clam on top. Its a heavy rig but nice to have all the stuff for an all day-night trip. Gonna rig my power auger head to an old lawn tractor axle. Walking speed is all I need. When I was younger it did'nt bother me, now it's too much like work.
Jim K.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:24 AM »
i was hinkin of doin the same thing up here, i have a clam 5600,   what kinda ideas you got for 1 if you dont mind sharing??  i even thought of 1 of those kiddy snowmobiles. any ideas appreciated. was 28 up here in olean last nite but now the ugly sun is coming out!!!    thanks in advance youngster
youngster

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2005, 03:14 PM »
i have a 6800 clam also with a wall heater with 2x4 frame around it and the rest of the 100lbs of gear its all heavy

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:07 PM »
If you have never seen Beerduck with his sled ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D........you are missing one heck of a real time ROFLMAO ;D ;D ;D

Beerduck, where the heck you been???????

I had the same idea, using a 1.75hp engine, was all puffed up and ready to challenge it in court ( which you will have to ) and then the WCO pointed out that PADOT considers a trailer to be a vehicle requiring registration, even though it carries no persons. A very complicated legal battle that I think you would lose.

But hey................... ..GOOD LUCK.,
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I've been thinkin bout it too only i was going to look for electric motors from a power wheelchair
and use a old snowmobile track
Just have to come up with a design
and i agree it will be a battle
but its bs in my opinion since its not used for transportation of people its just like a sled we use and drag it behind us
The fish commission
 has to change with the times like stated before Its ok to have a power auger  wht not something to haul the gear
 we arent allowed to have permanant shanties so at least make it easy for ppl like me who have health problems and the older ice fishing participants to access the lakes
Theres my two cents worth
 :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2005, 05:25 PM »
AMEN SLIDER,,,,,,,AMEN
ice is your friend

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:29 PM »
I've been thinkin bout it too only i was going to look for electric motors from a power wheelchair
and use a old snowmobile track
Just have to come up with a design
and i agree it will be a battle
but its bs in my opinion since its not used for transportation of people its just like a sled we use and drag it behind us
The fish commission
 has to change with the times like stated before Its ok to have a power auger  wht not something to haul the gear
 we arent allowed to have permanant shanties so at least make it easy for ppl like me who have health problems and the older ice fishing participants to access the lakes
Theres my two cents worth
 :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:i agree with ya,,, they never quit. always lookin for a dollar. anyway  i thought of electric motors but wa s thinkin cold would drain them and they would probably be pretty expensive. old lawnmower engine might work.  but if youre goin use old snowmobile track might as well incorporate the engine.  well theres gotta be something simple and small. so ya got room for everything in the back of the pickup. ill keep doodlin someone gotta come up with something. with any luck we should have a fe w inches of ice up this way this weekend.  goodluck all   . youngster from ny

youngster

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:52 PM »
Slider,

I agree with you 100%.......but when you said " the Fish Commision has to catch up with the times " I almost spit my beer out from laughing. ??? ??? ???

This is PA.....the LCB,     , the Turnpike,    ,Life without parole,      we're a commonwealth ??? ??? ???

Catching up with the times would just be plain wrong ;D ;D Lord forbid we ever become progressive........be happy you are allowed to buy bait on Sunday. :P :P

And hey, where is my case of Yeunnnngggggglllllliii innnnnsssss and the pack of rusty hooks??

I am going to edit and clarify what I said, because I do not want anyone to think I am knocking the Fish Commision. Anyone who has followed my posts for any amount of time knows that I have no time for the uneducated, misinformed people who complain about our commision.

What I am doing, is knocking our states politics in general. A couple years ago, there was an older, handicapped gentleman that used his scooter to fish the shoreline at Little Buffalo State Park, yup you guessed it. He was cited for unlawful use of a motorized vehicle........ >:( >:( >:(
He did end up winning his case in court, thereby setting precedent for all the other handicapped folks in the state. But it was a huge headache that took lots of time and money........... :%$#!: :%$#!:
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:56 PM »
ive been thinking of this for a year now and sitting in my tree stand gave me alot of ideas.  its in the process of being done now (my power sled) its only gonna be a 3 to 5 hp side shaft motor nothing overkill just get my gear out there. i appreciate all of you comments. ill go to each lake with it till i get caught. if anyone has an old tiller or snowblower motor or any small hp side shaft running motor for cheap let me know thats all im missing. thanks beer(im drinking right now) duck(my last name) ;D;D;D

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:21 PM »
how about a 318 with headers blower and nitrous ;D ;D ;D ;D :callcops: :callcops: :callcops: :callcops: :callcops:

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:22 PM »
The one I have is powered by a 1.75hp engine off a weedwacker, plenty of power........

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:23 PM »
if youir gonna get busted go all the way  lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.