Author Topic: Where can I find these jigs?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where can I find these jigs?
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:41 AM »
These are pretty old, but they are one of my top jigs.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any for years, and the loss of one now and then (usually by a pickerel) is almost enough to bring a grown man to tears!  I've been looking online and in any stores I go to, but nothing is quite the same (I have a bunch of similar jigs, but nothing seems to perform quite like the old football).

The small bait shop where I bought them was a seller of "Woody's Lures", but I don't recall whether these were of that brand or not. 

They are a vertical football...very simple design, effective on many species, they sink fast and they also show up great on the flasher.

"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
Re: Where can I find these jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:55 AM »
im not sure, i wish i could help... but they both look to have a good hook on em.. not the cheap thin wire hooks that bend,those hooks look nice and thick.. ill try to look around for ya. so i can pick up a few too haha

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:04 AM »
well these are just regular moon jigs, but the look kinda alike but not a real match

http://www.jamminjigs.com/sections/product_group.php?category_id=6&group_id=38

sorry i dont know how to do hyperlinks, just copy and paste , they have em in a #8 and #10 size hook

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:44 AM »
They look a lot like MEG "Mega Glow" from Little Atom Lures.  They are on page 4 of YourBobbersDown.com catalog.  Check it out for yourself.  Now tell us - just how good are these jigs to you? :)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Look like the Mega Glow, top ones a bit larger than I remember. Possibly could be some short lived, local "cottage industry" jigs. People do it often, make some nice ones for awhile, break even at best or simply get bored with it. Components are still out there

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:52 PM »
I think fish 307 carries them.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Jannsnetcraft.com    There 1.99  You have to paint themhttp://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-jigs/
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:34 PM »
If you are near Connecticut I can point you to them. I want to say they are made by Katy.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I was going to say that they are katy jigs as well.  I dont know where katy jigs are made but I know a few places you can buy them in stores but not on line.  I have not however found the verticle football shaped ones like that, only the horizontal ones.  I'llpost some pics of some of the horizontal ones tomorrow. 

Dave

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:58 PM »
The problem I'm having is finding the true, fully round vertical football with pointed ends.  

Those at Jammin jigs (I have a variety of these and like them too, but not quite the same) and other places are either a half-moon, banana, or flattened.  Are those Caty Jigs round and not flat?  The Caty "football" fishes horizontally, not vertically.  Those others look flattened to me in the picture, although I know that can be deceiving.

The best thing about these jigs, is that even though they most likely impart little to no action on their own, they not only catch fish but they sink fast so they are great in deep water.  They also show up on my flasher better than anything else that size too.

Take note that I wouldn't be asking so desperately if these jigs didn't work so well!!!  I have never found anything that can compare to them in terms of being the best all-around jig in my box.  I have many other types of jigs, some with the fanciest of paint and the latest in jig-making technology, but somehow nothing seems to compare with that old football.  Fast sinking, good hooks, catches about every species in the book from perch and panfish to bass, pickerel, walleye, and trout!  For some reason, largemouth bass REALLY love that tiny pink one.  Gets them every time they show up on my flasher, even if they don't look at anything else.  Unfortunately, both of those in my picture are the last of that line of jigs that I have left!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Pout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:44 AM »
These are pretty old, but they are one of my top jigs.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any for years, and the loss of one now and then (usually by a pickerel) is almost enough to bring a grown man to tears!  I've been looking online and in any stores I go to, but nothing is quite the same (I have a bunch of similar jigs, but nothing seems to perform quite like the old football).

I was there during the latest pickerel induced football loss.  I swear that "NOOOOOOOOO" echoed around the lake for a good four minutes followed by DAMNIT! 
Save gas. Fart in a jar

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:26 AM »
http://www.icefishinglures.com/

On the left hand side of page click Lures. Find the Barracuda jig. On the bottom of that page you can view a larger image.

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I have some of those from woodeys tackle hard to find anymore they work good on otsego for perch.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:49 PM »
http://www.icefishinglures.com/

On the left hand side of page click Lures. Find the Barracuda jig. On the bottom of that page you can view a larger image.

Those are definitely the closest thing so far.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Those are definitely the closest thing so far.

those are really close man.. even got the same nice thick hook on em..you gunna pick some up?let me know how they do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.