The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch Assault 3 - 2009 - The Final Chapter!  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Perch Assault 3 - 2009 - The Final Chapter!
« on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:49 PM »
anyone going to the Perch Assault at Mary Ronan this Saturday?

I got Recruited by another team who needed a replacement.  Ive never fished MaryRonan before so don't know how much help I'll be!  The team I'll be fishing for got 4th at Middle Thompson, and are currently 8th over all.  Hope I don't let them down....   ::)

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch Assault 3 - 2009 - The Final Chapter!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:59 PM »
After your last tourney showing, my moneys on your team.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:45 PM »
After your last tourney showing, my moneys on your team.
Thanks man I appreciate the vote of confidence!

My partner for the tourney says he feels good about our chances...I haven't a clue!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Thanks man I appreciate the vote of confidence!

My partner for the tourney says he feels good about our chances...I haven't a clue!
Hey best of luck to ya Jeff.  I'd think just do what you know and you should do great. That little trick you did on the tourney day where you were catching them without even using any bait... I'd think that would work pretty good on Mary?  Can't wait to hear how ya do!

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Thanks Jake!

I forgot about that actually!  I need to get some more of those little droppers I was using, I have broke both of the ones I had off on Bass!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Well, I went and participated in this shindig.  Didn't win anything, caught between 20 and 30 fish(stopped counting at 20), no real giants one weighed .55lbs.  I need to better prepare myself and adjust my expectations if I EVER do this again.  I anticipated my team mate having a game plan and knowledge of the body of water that was beyond that of "Joe average"....he didn't.  I also anticipated my team mate to have some "trick" or "go to" setup for that body of water...he didn't.  Result was I caught 4 to 5 times as many fish as he did, but no big ones.  I felt helpless because I didn't know the lake and every time he said he wanted to move I said "where do you want to move to" and he would say "I don't know"...not the right answer...  All in all not a positive experience for me, like I said I set my expectations to the level at which I hold myself and that didn't work out too well...

The on thing I really did get from the experience was a greater appreciated for my IS Team Montana fishing partners from the Canyon Ferry Lions derby.  You guys were great to fish with and all brought something to the table.  Thank you all again!

Offline Will_hunt_4_food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Sorry to here that Neptune. I wish I would have known...I could have pointed you in the right direction. I didn't fish the tourney but like you I assumed who you were going with would have some knowledge of the lake. How was the ice up there?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Neptune, it's gonna be real hard to find a team leader like we had at Canyon Ferry.  Captain Jake still takes the cake for me.  But at least you got out there and caught fish.  There is always next year.  How stormy was it out on the lake?  How were the ice conditions? 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:57 AM »
there must be 20-24" of ice on Mary Ronan based on how far my auger was going down and the pile of ice shavings you had to clear when you were done!

The weather was a mixed bag that got progressively worse as the day went on.  By the time Checking came around the wind was just whipping on the south end of the lake and it was snowing!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:00 AM »
sounds like you did pretty good, despite the success of your team.  Any day on the ice, catching fish, has to be a good one. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:35 AM »
sounds like you did pretty good, despite the success of your team.  Any day on the ice, catching fish, has to be a good one. 

I was proud of how I was doing, but my team mate continued to be negative and constantly complained and spent more time watching other people fish than fishing himself.  After 8 hours of that crap it gets old, and I found it hard to stay positive.

Hind sight being what it is, I could have prepared better, I could have had a bathemetric map and go more locations on my own.  But here is what really chaps my hide!  the guy I was fishing with kept saying "I think we need to move." I'd say "then lets move...where do you want to go?", he'd say, "I don't know"...   I provided him with GPS coordinates that someone gave me for a good/great spot to fish.  At one point he asked me to tell him where we should go.  I said "do you have those coordinates I gave you?", he said "I don't want to go there"...  At that point I started getting upset!

I need to just let it go and move on...  Can't wait for the CF derby next year!!!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I was proud of how I was doing, but my team mate continued to be negative and constantly complained and spent more time watching other people fish than fishing himself.  After 8 hours of that crap it gets old, and I found it hard to stay positive.

Hind sight being what it is, I could have prepared better, I could have had a bathemetric map and go more locations on my own.  But here is what really chaps my hide!  the guy I was fishing with kept saying "I think we need to move." I'd say "then lets move...where do you want to go?", he'd say, "I don't know"...   I provided him with GPS coordinates that someone gave me for a good/great spot to fish.  At one point he asked me to tell him where we should go.  I said "do you have those coordinates I gave you?", he said "I don't want to go there"...  At that point I started getting upset!

I need to just let it go and move on...  Can't wait for the CF derby next year!!!

Man, I hear ya.  Its easy to let things "get to ya"  but like you told me a while back when I was ranting, ya can't let things like that eat ya up, its just not worth it. 
I also can't wait for the CF tourney next year, however, not sure how it'll be.  The spot we were in has gotta be getting close to fished out by now, every time I've been out there, that group of 15 or so has been camped right at the same spot.  And I know they've been there several days when I haven't been, from reports from friends.  One of my friends did make it out 1 day that those yahoos weren't there, and he fished the tourney spot and did really well again, he tried there after getting skunked a few different places, so who knows maybe there's some kind of giant perch magnet down there?  Wish you would have dropped your camera that day just to see whats down there so I could try and find another spot like it.  So far, I've only found 2 spots on the lake that good, and both now have LOTS of people camped ontop of them all weekend long, every weekend. Oh well, I like fishing new spots and "finding the fish"  just hope I can find another honey hole by the tourney time next year. not likely as the tourney happens pretty early in the season.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Thanks Jake,

I have all the confidence in the world on your ability to find new spots!  Follow the same formula that got you trying where you did and that should keep working for ya!   Next year you'll have the "not as many fish, but bigger fish" hole....  ;)

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Neptune,
Let me know if you would be interested in putting together a team for the whole perch assult for next year. I wanted to this year but couldnt get anyone to commit to fishing the days we needed to for just the tourney let alone the prefishing. I can fish 7 days a week all season long if need be. ;D I also grew up in the flathead so I am somewhat familiar with fishing there. Just need to polish the rust off and get to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.