Author Topic: pike leaders  (Read 11658 times)

Offline bushey911

• IceShanty Rookie
pike leaders
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:46 AM »
goin through gear today this when i noticed that I'm still stuck in the past using steel leaders..remember a couple of posts last year that said they use a heavy mono.  Just wondering what the test was and if any brand would be better then others.  Think this will give a couple more flags this year.

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pike leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I use 40lbs green fire line.  I do however set up a few tip ups with 12in black steal.  I seam to get more flags off the fire line.   

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:16 PM »
If you do a search both here and in the "pike" forums you will find days worth of reading on pike leaders :) Me personally, went from steel to 80lb flouro and really liked the results

CJ

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:32 PM »
I have a mix of all three- braid steel and fluoro. Don't notice much of a difference in some  places, other places only the fluoro gets hits. I think its more important when you're fishing clearer water. Also, using hole covers so there isn't as much light should help a little bit when you're fishing up high maybe
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:20 PM »
If you do a search both here and in the "pike" forums you will find days worth of reading on pike leaders :) Me personally, went from steel to 80lb flouro and really liked the results

CJ
how do you tie knots with it? i use 20lb floruro and i don't like the size of the knot on my hook, i've tried using less wraps and have had a few come untied.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:46 PM »
how do you tie knots with it? i use 20lb floruro and i don't like the size of the knot on my hook, i've tried using less wraps and have had a few come untied.

Polamar knot

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:50 PM »
thats my favorite knot, but when i've tried to use it my hook eye liked to slide around in the line. now and then the line would get caught on the open ent of the eye and would not usually come loose so i had to cut and retie

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I run 40# Flouro,definitely get more bites than I did runnin steel.

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:00 PM »
60 lb flouro. Steel sounds better and better though, as I usually get bit off at least once every season. I like the amount of bites I get on flouro though, and a slob bass isnt out of the question when using it. 

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Surflon micro supreme steel, or floro, depending on a few variables.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:35 AM »

You will experience knot slipping if you're new to flourocarbon lines/leaders.  After some more practicing you'll learn how to cinch them down so they won't slip.  I personally like to tie Trilene Knot or a variation of it up to 80# test on leader material.  I too had my first few knots slipped on me, but now they no longer do. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:30 AM »

A Uni knot is IMO the best knot to use with heavy flouro, 20lb isn't to bad and you can tie a few different knots alright, but with 40 lb and up most knots don't work very well.  I usually use 40 and 100lb for pike and the Uni provides a nice perfectly cinched down neat knot even with 100lb, try it and you're guaranteed to like it.

Heres a pic I took last year, 100 lb triple fish muskie leader and a Uni Knot.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I switched from steel to 50 lb mono. The leader material, not regular line. Will not look back. My rate has increased tremendously, especially in clear, shallow water.

I use the simple barrel knot with 3-4 twists, then i put a dab of garilla glue to hold it.

I used the same leaders for summer pike fishing as well.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Just wondering where you guys gt such heavy fluoro? Ive looked and cant seem to find it...

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:56 AM »
Just wondering where you guys gt such heavy fluoro? Ive looked and cant seem to find it...
http://www.fish307.com/

it's in lake george ny. i live in wells and go there every couple of weeks if you wanna ride together some time

Offline bushey911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Think i found a good solution ;D.   went to the local fly shop and ordered some toothy critters leader material.  Looked like a really thin twisted metal protected by floral alittle pricy thankfuly im his best costumer and most of my things at cost.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Mono is garbage, spend the extra money on floro. I made the mistake of trying 80lb mono one year and broke off 3 nice fish. I switched to 80lb floro after that. It's much harder material and it's less visible, more flags and no bite offs so far. Instead of knots I use a crimper so my hooks are free swinging on a small loop.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I use 80 lb flouro, getting ready to tie up some leaders with Malin Boa.

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:16 AM »
check out youtube.com. type in fishing knots

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:45 PM »
40 lb seagar fluro, never had a bite off...and have iced pike over 20lbs on it....Not only is fluro less visable, it weighs less and doesn't hunker live bait down as much in my opinion...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Ok, i got myself some 50 pound fluoro, but now i dont know how to connect my main line to the leader or how long of a leader to use. Any info much appreciated! thanks

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I tie my leader to a swivel, is use the simple barrel knot with 3 loops, then use a dap of gorilla glue, then swivel to main fishing line. Never had a proble. Takes a little practive with the heavy fluro, but works well. If you have a hard time tying a knot, you could use crimps, but is a little more expensive.

My leaders are 2.5-3'. I think you'll like the fluro. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I ended up using an Albright know to connect my main line to the Leader, Worked great. And cinched down the hook with a palomer. Feels like a pretty strong setup to me. I guess I need a few slabber pike to test it out for me!

Offline AEffling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Here is my question then a lot of you say that the fluoro is better than steel but I was wondering do you experience more cut offs because of this. Or if you get a heavy enough fluoro doesn't it matter.
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."-John Wayne

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:53 PM »
What about 15 pound flouro? That's what I have on hand right now. Right now I have 3 ft of it as a leader on 10 lb power pro braid.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:54 PM »
What about 15 pound flouro? That's what I have on hand right now. Right now I have 3 ft of it as a leader on 10 lb power pro braid.

I would go with 50#, don't trust anything lighter when it comes to big pike.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Here is my question then a lot of you say that the fluoro is better than steel but I was wondering do you experience more cut offs because of this. Or if you get a heavy enough fluoro doesn't it matter.
i've never been cut off with 50 lb mono. Been using the same leaders for 2 yrs. I broke 3 steel leaders the season before, all were at the crimp due to wear, but still 3.

That may be a little small, i'd go a little bigger.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
i use 20lb seguar and rarely lose a fish. i think only 1 last year. i always wonder how people break so many off, they must horse them in. i take it easy and only put just enough pressure to move them and catch probably 98% of my fish

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:19 AM »
made it out for the first time this year and lost one on my 20lb. fish was over 20 for sure. i'm switching to 40

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.