The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy SD60I auger leaking gas,help please.  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy SD60I auger leaking gas,help please.
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Gas tank was empty since end of winter last season,filled yesterday, and the small black grommet with the 2 fuel lines running through it starts oozing gas around it. I contacted Jiffy, of course they only have the parts with a whole tank for $40 something bucks.
Has anyone had this issue with any other fixes, no issues last year,thanks.
Got Bugs?

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy SD60I auger leaking gas,help please.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I had a similar leak on an old TML auger and couldn't get any replacement parts. I plugged the hole with JB weld last fall and it's holding up well so far.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Throw it out and go buy an ion post a picture

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:18 PM »
You may be able to find a grommet at a small engine repair shop! Just a thought!! Good luck!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Thank you
Got Bugs?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Let it sit with gas in the tank outside for awhile.  The grommet will swell and the leaking should stop.  I have EXACTLY the same issue with the gas tank on a Red Max hedge trimmer.   I put stabilizer in the Fuel tank  and keep it filled all year round now.  Problem solved.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Thanks, that's what I'm trying since yesterday but no change yet. Hope it will work and i'll have to keep it filled like you.
Got Bugs?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:45 PM »
I've read on this site that you shouldn't dry store your auger! Try not to use gasohol and use Startron and/or Seafoam.  Tru-Fuel is a bit spendy, but you normally won't use a can in a season! Just food for thought!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Thank you Sailor.
Got Bugs?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:15 PM »
x2 on don't store ANY gas powered tool dry for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm in the camp where properly cared for equipment is not adversely affected by ethanol but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms and that's not what this is about.

Also x2 on check a local small engine service for parts. I went just today for a fuel connector on a 2hp Tecumseh on a Strikemaster Lazer Mag. Sorta the same deal, a part (this one was nylon) that commonly fails and pukes gas all over while the tool still runs. $5.50 tax included and I'm back on the ice.

Best if you can take the failed part with you to insure a correct replacement.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2017, 11:32 PM »
That is a common problem on Echo equipment, especially newer stuff. Sometimes a slightly larger tubing (like the yellow Tygon gas tubing) will expand the grommet enough to seal it up. You can check your local small equipment dealer if they have one to fit but they probably only have limited stock on hand. Another option is to seal it with an adhesive. Seal All actually works pretty darn good for repairing items that see gas or oil. Holds good even on plastics. I have used it several times to repair old gas tanks that are no longer made. http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:24 PM »
If your off the beaten path like I am here in OTZ, its a hour jet ride a +500mi to the big city, 2 weeks for Priority air mail to mosey in a flat rate box, and just as long for $50 UPS to fly the part to My corner of Alaska.
 I can in a pinch use 3M 5200 Boat Hull Sealant to patch a leak, Ive used it to patch my Bunny Boots too and a few years back used it to fix a cracked fitting on a brand new Stihl weed eater (cracked nipple to the primer) degrease the area and slather it on.
Once it sets up almost like Proseal aircraft fuel tank sealant.

The Quick Cure Red package will set in about 3 days
The std Blue takes 7-9 days to set n cure.

://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200-Fast-Cure?N=5002385

Offline Jawbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2020, 12:57 PM »
I had a similar leak on an old TML auger and couldn't get any replacement parts. I plugged the hole with JB weld last fall and it's holding up well so far.

Had the same problem! You can buy a whole new carb kit that includes new grommet, hoses, carb, sparkplug etc. on EBAY for under $12 .   Carburetor For Jiffy Ice Auger Jiffy 2 Cycle Engines Rep 4082 30XT W/Gasket Carb

Be the first to write a review.
Item Information
Condition:
New
Quantity:
More than 10 available / 8 sold
Price:
US $11.56
Buy It Now

Add to cart

Add to Watchlist
No returns