The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best easy shelter  (Read 3130 times)

Offline IceWoman2

• IceShanty Rookie
Best easy shelter
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Hey Folks, I'm a 63 yo female with 3 artificial joints.  My suitcase type shelter is getting harder for me to put up when I go out by myself.  A hub type is light but looks difficult to put up even 8n the slightest wind, and those doors would end up tripping me.  I have a Jeep Cherokee I would have to get a sled type shelter into.  Since I have never set up either type on the ice is appreciate your advice before I buy anything.  Thanks!!
🐧. Pat

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best easy shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Get a hub house. The are lighter and easy to set up. Clam makes some nice ones that have large doors making getting in and out easy, and the bag to pack the house in is much easier. Eskimo ice anchors are the best and would be what I recommend. If you have a cordless drill you could use that to install the ice anchors making that effortless.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Welcome IceWomen2 :clap:

Where about do you live?

WS

Offline IceWoman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Thank you for the welcome. I'm near St Cloud.
🐧. Pat

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:11 PM »
How much are you looking to spend, and would it primarily be just you fishing? There are a handful of 1 man/woman flip overs that are lightweight, and easy to set up.

Offline 830king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:40 PM »
I have a hub style (Eskimo fatfish 949I). It is lightweight and easy to set up and take down......but anything more than about 15mph wind can be a pain and it could get away from you quite easily. With that being said once it's anchored down I would rather be in a hub style vs. a flip over. On the other hand a flip over is easier to set up and you can have alot of your gear stored inside the sled. Downside is they are heavier to lift in and out of your vehicle, and even tho you sit on the sled the wind can push them around somewhat. Whatever you decide I recommend getting a insulated model for a few reasons.
1. Non insulated houses can drip on you from the condensation.
2. Non insulated houses the shelter material will "whip" alot more s be louder with the wind blowing
3. Insulated should be a little warmer

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Get a hub house. The are lighter and easy to set up. Clam makes some nice ones that have large doors making getting in and out easy, and the bag to pack the house in is much easier. Eskimo ice anchors are the best and would be what I recommend. If you have a cordless drill you could use that to install the ice anchors making that effortless.

Don't get a hub house. They're a PITA to setup and take take, especially on cold, windy days.

A 1 man flip is the way to go.

Shappel FX100 is highly regarded in the ice fishing world. I got one myself this fall and love it. Much better than my frabil hub style.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:57 PM »

Don't get a hub house. They're a PITA to setup and take down, especially on cold, windy days.

A 1 man flip is the way to go.

Shappel FX100 is highly regarded in the ice fishing world. I got one myself this fall and love it. Much better than my frabil hub style.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Agree with the post above - why look at just the hub style.  I would suggest a one man flip over.  Depending on weight you should have many models out there.  Decide what size fishable area you want and you can find one.  If you really want to cut weight, look at the Clam Blazer or Otter Hideout.  The Blazer weighs only 35 lbs.  No chair, sit on a bucket and you flip the cover over.  Depending on if you fish in the cold weather, then you would decide between a non or insulated unit.   

I have a hub, 2 man flip and 1 man flip.  Each has its place for the use. 

Keep asking questions!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

sunniewally

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:47 PM »
forget the hub house! I agree they are a pia! The anchors are too. If you are in decent shape they are okay. For older and more problems a one man flip over is the way to go. I'm 71 and been there did that.  Flip over!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:39 PM »
I agree that the Blazer is incredibly simple. The poles are fixed and so there is no need to adjust them when you "flip" it over.

I love my Blazer Stealth (insulated) when fishing alone. I also have a Clam hub, the spearfisher, which is 9 ft across. Great for multiple people but hard to set up when alone.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline IceWoman2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.
🐧. Pat

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2018, 12:02 AM »
Get a flip very easy up and very easy to change locations while fishing I've got two suitcases and a 2 man flip love all of them the flip is great for running and gunning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.