Author Topic: Ice Chisel Questions / Opinions  (Read 1123 times)

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Chisel Questions / Opinions
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I asked for an ice chisel for Christmas and I received a HT Ice Chisel which is basically a piece of rebar with a chisel at the end and a T-Handle at the top end.  It was cheap about $18 from Dicks Sports.

I almost returned it thinking I wanted a Jiffy Mille Lacs.  I was also eyeing a redneck engineering chisel at Wildlife Taxidermy.  These chisels are in the $40 range.

I know people like the Mille Lacs.  How about these redneck engineering chisels?  They looked pretty mean.

My main purpose for the chisel will be to check the ice and possibly cut some holes when there is less than 8" of ice.  After that I have my trusty Jiffy Model 30 to cut holes.  I just dont have something lightweight for early ice and the Jiffy is really overkill.

Anyway looking for opinions on this situation?  Keep the cheapo spud it will do the trick?  Return it and buy a better one?  One of the issues is once I try out this cheapo one I am stuck with it so I would rather return it and use the money towards something better.

Thanks in advance for answering.

Burger

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Chisel Questions / Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I don't have any experience with the redneck chisel. I own a Mille Lacs and the thing is sweet! I have owned several other "regular" chisels and nothing has cut like the Mille Lacs.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Burgerunh,

Any chisel is better than no chisel. It depends on what you can afford.

If you want the best in my opinion, I'd go with the Jiffy Mille Lacs 2 piece deluxe chisel. You can break it down if needed and it cuts ice. Ask anyone that owns one if they are happy with theirs. Keep in mind, your gonna spend more than $18.00 for this chisel but is staying dry worth it? Ice picks, Flotation clothing, Whistles, PFD's are all good and people spend alot of money on them but they are after the fact. Spend your money up front on a chisel too for safety. It kinda reminds me of the Nils hand auger, again your gonna spend some money but it cuts ice (some times fingers too). If your gonna spend money, it's worth the money in my opinion.

Years ago, I had a "Eskimo like" chisel made. Still have it but the problem was the middle where the two points connect. It would get hung up on the ice (stopping point). Nice idea they took from Jiffy x 2. Some prefer it but I personally didn't like it, again better than no chisel.

I like the Mille Lacs stepped single row points like an ice pick.

Whatever you get, carry it with you always. Comes in handy for other uses too.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:01 AM »
It kinda reminds me of the Nils hand auger, again your gonna spend some money but it cuts ice (some times fingers too). JIGGIN.
Thanks for the reminder. :'( Finger is finally back to normal. I told you we'd have blood on the ice, I just didn't think it would be mine. ;D The Jiffy Mille Lacs 2 piece is sweet. Spend the extra, you won't be disappointed.

Capt. Black

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Wow Burgerunh...I thought mine was some homemade contraption!

I have that rebar/ t-handle chisel. It was given to me so I knew nothing about it.
Just remember to wear gloves when you use it. Rebar leaves blisters on your blisters.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I have had Mille Lacs for the last 15 years and have always taken care of it but never had sharpened.  I also have a new Redneck Chisel that someone gave to me late last season.  I just tried it out for the first time this weekend.  The Mille Lac chisel cut with much less effort than the new Redneck.
Bottom line is the Redneck is ok for the money but the Mille Lac is a better investment IMHO.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline jmerrimack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I just got a Mille lac for christmas! It works much better than my old spud bar, I bought the 52". I believe it was $55.00 at the Ice Hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.