Author Topic: Blackstrap 2018/19  (Read 55535 times)

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: Blackstrap 2018/19
« Reply #180 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Fishing on the 28th was excellent. Took my 7 year old daughter out and caught consistently all day. Perch ranged from 8 inches to my biggest at 13.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Heading out tomorrow after a 11 day break.  I hope you all left some fish for me/us.  Sounds like
the North end is heating up, after the South end was very good in Dec.  The other guys got
our shack out over the holidays, so the plan is to catch enough in the morning for a good
shore lunch. 

Good luck to all in the New Year.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Anyone else finding black pepper looking things in their perch fillets? 50% of my catches had them. Some had only one or 2, others were just loaded with them.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Google "Neascuc" (Black spot disease). See if that's what you ran across.

gman51

« Reply #184 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Decided to get out today in the stiff breeze fished from 9-2 little slower today on the walleyes caught 3 lost a nice one at the bottom of the hole. 3 pike 2 were over 7 lbs. and a perch. nice to be out.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:05 PM »
where can a person drive on to access the north end

gman51

« Reply #186 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:13 PM »
There’s an approach onto the lake at the very north end. All you or anyone needs to do is look at a satellite view of the lake and scope out some access roads very easy to do for any lake.(research) good luck.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Yes Wyhtie, we started noticing that last year and again this year.  Haven't see to many that are loaded with the black spots.  I know one of the C.O.'s and the next time I see him out there, I was going to fillet some and give it to him to have it checked out.

We have assumed that frying them up would eliminate any problem.  I hope it's not a slow killing disease, as we have eaten a ton of them last year and this year. 

We fished today out front of the boat launches and it was a slower day for sure.  2 of us ended up catching 25.  We fished for about 5 hours.  Had a great shore lunch and took a few home.  You have your fish that bite sometimes, and nibble sometimes, and suck on the bait sometimes.  But today they were just nosing the bait.  Seemed to be lots of nosing hits, but very hard to hook them.  So I would say they were in the area, but just not
committing.  Let's hope in a day or so they at least suck or nibble the bait.

Offline crush23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Churchill, you're right about nosing it. I was out yesterday from 1-5 pm and had an unbelievable hour from 2-3. After that they came up to the bait and nosed it, as if they were smelling it. I did manage 25+ perch in that time. One was 14" and 1.8lbs.

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Churchill, you're right about nosing it. I was out yesterday from 1-5 pm and had an unbelievable hour from 2-3. After that they came up to the bait and nosed it, as if they were smelling it. I did manage 25+ perch in that time. One was 14" and 1.8lbs.

Congrats on the slob perch crush23!!

Offline walleyeking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Jan 04, 2019, 04:57 PM »
sounds like some people are over there limits  of perch

gman51

« Reply #191 on: Jan 04, 2019, 05:14 PM »
sounds like some people are over there limits  of perch
.  In catching yes.. I’m sure keeping their limits. The fines are hefty. It’s been an unusual early aggressive perch bite this year. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Jan 04, 2019, 05:25 PM »
 quality first post  ::)

i was wondering if anyone has night fished blackstrap?  curious because i've often head of how many burbot used to come out of there years ago.  now a days it seems like very few and far between but i know lots of lakes with burbot that pretty much only bite at night.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #193 on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Walleyeking.....You read on hear on the number of perch people catch.  I know a lot of the people out there that fish blackstrap, and some of them catch 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 perch a day.  I don't know of any people that take more then their 10 home.  A lot only take 5 or none.  Why would someone
take a chance taking more then 10 perch home, as like Rip said....the fines are heavy.  A few extra perch aren't worth the fine. And 99% of fishermen follow the limits.  Just like deer hunting, a person has one tag, so they fill their tag with one deer, or they get skunked and don't fill their tag.

Example:  I caught over 40 perch today, and didn't take a one home. 

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Had a really good day by the boat launches today.  Except for one incident.

One of two things happened:  You guess which one.

A) caught a 30 lb pike and when I had her in the hole, I ended up with my thumb in her mouth and
she bite off a piece of my thumb off.

OR

B)  I was chopping up kindling with a hatchet and cut a piece of my thumb off.

Fished the last 3 hours with it bandaged up good and then stopped at the clinic when I got to town.  Nothing
to stitch up so they had to cauterize it.  Doc said it would heel up in 2 weeks.  I said it might take longer as that
is my cranking thumb.

Offline Bushcrafter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:20 PM »
I would have to go with “B”
Since there was nothing to stitch up?

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Jan 04, 2019, 11:04 PM »
Glad to hear it wasn't more than a slice!  Shows the importance of having a good first aid kit, it allowed you to keep fishing!!  All kidding aside, hope it heals up quick.

Offline walleyeking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:15 AM »
hey church,just a thought, if the limit for perch is 10 and you were reporting daily you caught 50 plus, most fisherman would think you were over your limit. The limit for walleye is 2 if i was reporting everyday i was catching 10  walleyes what would most fisherman think [OVER YOUR LIMIT] just saying. sluice falls or little devil rapids either one works for me

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Not sure who most fisherman are that you know but your probably safe to assume most people on this site don’t assume “catching” or “caught” means that’s what was kept for limit.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Walleyeking, I guess I would be waisting my time trying to explaining what catch and release is to you.

When you read  my future posts on here, you can just assume that I am over my limit.  I might even change my
handle name to "Over Limit"....has a nice ring to it.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:36 AM »
And here we go again.....back to fishing reports fellas 👍🏼

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #201 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:31 AM »
lol, I tried to dispute C.R by counting fillets of his shore lunch, but there were only 6 pairs.

Offline familyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I am with bigk and Churchill on this one. If I take my kids out for an afternoon fish and we catch 20 perch and let them all go- then if anyone asks how many we caught the answer is 20, not zero.

I’ve got to say that guys like Churchill and Anglerbrian(who posts on last mountain lake) should be commended for the advice they give on this site. Just by reading their posts an average fisherman like myself who doesn’t get out much can gather enough info to be helpful when we do make it out. It seems they genuinely want to help other ice fisherman for the love of the sport. Churchill has posted what lure he uses, bait, location and FOW - this is more info than 99% of the guys out there would give up.  Thanks to his info I have gone from catching 0-2 fish at the strap 2-3 years ago to being able to consistently put 10-20 perch on the ice on an average outing now with my kids. The result is having 2 kids that are now hooked on ice fishing! 

I have ran into Churchill out on the ice and I can tell you he catches as many fish as he reports- and with no electronics.

Keep posting guys and good luck out there! 

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:11 PM »
I am with bigk and Churchill on this one. If I take my kids out for an afternoon fish and we catch 20 perch and let them all go- then if anyone asks how many we caught the answer is 20, not zero.

I’ve got to say that guys like Churchill and Anglerbrian(who posts on last mountain lake) should be commended for the advice they give on this site. Just by reading their posts an average fisherman like myself who doesn’t get out much can gather enough info to be helpful when we do make it out. It seems they genuinely want to help other ice fisherman for the love of the sport. Churchill has posted what lure he uses, bait, location and FOW - this is more info than 99% of the guys out there would give up.  Thanks to his info I have gone from catching 0-2 fish at the strap 2-3 years ago to being able to consistently put 10-20 perch on the ice on an average outing now with my kids. The result is having 2 kids that are now hooked on ice fishing! 

I have ran into Churchill out on the ice and I can tell you he catches as many fish as he reports- and with no electronics.

Keep posting guys and good luck out there!

Yes, well said.  I don’t fish Blackstrap, but I read this thread because of both Churchill and rip.  They are true lovers of the sport and want to pass on knowledge and experience to those willing to listen and learn.  Good job fellas and keep up the good work. 

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:14 PM »
hit the bricks walleye man..!
Ive never met Anglerbrian, RIP or Churchill.. However if I do I assure you they will be putting on a clinic, and sharing every bit of it.

I now feel safe on a new lake to me (last mountain) , got my auger running without taking it to a technician and have reclaimed my believe that perch exist in blackstrap all thanks to these guys..!

With no reason at all but to share their knowledge and experience to solely benefit strangers like myself and others to enjoy a sport they love.., I would say those guys are top notch. And even without fishing with them, I would bet my last dollar they do it legally and within the limits. Suck an anchovy and quit trolling this thread... ;)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #205 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Only made it out from 8:30-12 but the bite was on. Landed 12 perch ( couple real big jumbo’s ) 2 pike and lost a nice walleye at the hole and missed a few in the process. I tried out beefheart today. Stayed on the hook well and the fish seemed to be okay with  it  ;D

How did everyone make out?

Lots of shacks on the lake and even more people rolling into the north entrance when I was leaving.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #206 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Thanks for the support and kind words:  Overunder/bigk/dkrunks/famlyfisher/toonfisher/evan.

I know Rip has been on this forum way longer then me, and he has helped out lot's of people including myself,
when I first got on ice shanty.  With Rip's posts the fish don't stand a chance....he has told us that follow the forum, were, what and when.
Hard not to catch fish with his help. 

Evan......I still use dynamite (thus no reason for electronics), but haven't checked to see if it is legal or not.  Was fishing with a
C.O. one day, and I pulled a stick out and he said, I am pretty sure that isn't legal.  I lit the stick and handed it to him, and said....
are you going to fish or read regulations.

I have also thought about packaging perch eyes like they do minnows and wholesaling them to stores.  But I would have to go over my
limit to keep up with the short demand for them.  As most fishermen are pretty smart, and once they found out they could
get them for free, my sales would collapse.  And my second venture was going to be suppling kindling to shack owners.  But after
yesterday, that has gone by the way side also.

I know once in a while we get distracted from what this forum is about (we all remember the 6 pages dedicated to the closure of Evans Road).
I will try and stay focused on the fishing reports, etc.

Good luck out there everyone.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Oh the Humanity! This thread is a breath of fresh air from the hairy chested, self aggrandizing, and testosterone ridden offerings of far too many so called "sportsmen". I can't even recall the number of magazine subscriptions I have cancelled, or the organizations I no longer belong to due to their promotion of ideas that are the antithesis of good sportsmanship.

It is entirely refreshing to associate with individuals whose ethics are grounded by integrity. We should celebrate our good days. We should also admit that on occasion we lack the answers. We all have been blessed with the opportunity to learn from nature. If we are able to share some of that with others, we all become richer.

I hope that Church and Rip and all the others who contribute here continue to do their thing. Probably those two individuals are most responsible for my taking the grandsons out for a brief fishing experience on Blackstrap when they were passing through before Christmas. I have learned enough over the past few years to be able to provide them a chance at a fish. A few days ago my son asked if I would come up to Fort Mac to take the oldest one to an ice fishing derby. Apparently, he thought catching a single perch with Grandpa was something pretty special. That means a whole lot more to me at least than a 100 fish day, or a 32 inch walleye.

Getting back to fishing, I was completely skunked two nights ago fishing the mouth of the East Arm that yielded walleye only a few days before. My other son caught two small perch in between telling me that he was going to propose to his girlfriend. I think that was a pretty good evening on the ice.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Nice job Grandpa...I mean Speck.  It sure is nice to see a youngster with a big smile on his/her face when they
do catch a fish, or just enjoy a great day on the lake with his/her parents or in this
case Grandpa. I am guessing you got a sweat shirt for Xmas...... with, Greatest Grandpa In The World
written on it.

And congratulations on the addition to the family.....assuming she says "YES".

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:23 PM »
I hope she does Church, she really likes fishing,.... and Labradors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.