Author Topic: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........  (Read 255933 times)

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........
« Reply #60 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:29 PM »
LoneWolf,
Thanks for the Outdoor Creations rod holder pics!!!! I added two of them to mine. They are pretty nice! I am not throwing stones so please don't take any offense to this but, you use a cover for your auger to catch any oil that may drip out. Over the course of a season of use and being stored, do you accumilate alot of oil in that bag? Just wondering how you go about cleaning it? I like the idea, I just have some reservations about it. Do you wash it in the washing machine? Doesn't that gunk up the machine any? What about the waste water being contaminated with oil??
Couldn't be any worse then when your "average" mechanic washes his clothing..or his hands for that matter...

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #61 on: Nov 13, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Here are some mods I did to my trap the end of last year and just recently.  I purchased a light house cover for it from clam for $50 bucks.  I removed the seat to cut down on the weight (scout only weighs 39#'s now) and moved the rod canopy over to the side.  I also put removable skiis on my 2 man trap last year to make it easier to pull in the snow (and it worked so well that you can't even imagine!!!!) so I  put the same brackets on my scout and now the skiis can be used on either one.  Fin

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:05 PM »
I like the mods Fin. I have been shopping for something compact that I can put in my trunk. Right now I have a Clam 2000, but a small trap like yours might just work. All else fails, I have a Jeep Cherokee I can use, but I like to use my car since it's good on gas. I like the lighthouse cover!
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:37 PM »
For those with the hinge/rod holder setup, I found a hinge that fits but it seems the rod holder will spin too much.

Have you run into this?

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Maybe you can put a notch for the rod holder to lay in, use a dremel or a file. Then it won't swing unless you lift it up.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Maybe you can put a notch for the rod holder to lay in, use a dremel or a file. Then it won't swing unless you lift it up.

Great idea. :bow:
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Here's my take on runners for my Fish Trap Pro, just plain old black UHMW snowmobile sliders, no idea what sled they're from, but the parts guy agreed they were probably the standard sliders from a late '80s machine, attached with stainless hardware:

Rod Holder, just going to try one for now, If I like it, the second one is going on the other side. Just some 1/8" cable saddles, with the saddle removed and some nylock nuts on the inside:

I'll try and take some better pictures of the runners outside in the daylight, show the profile I used.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:29 PM »
cool cant wait for the weekend to try some of the ideas about storing your cloth or plastic moth balls best friends no holes! ;D come on ICE

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:30 AM »
for rod holders I use a piece of pvc about 6 inches long that has a diagnol slot cut in it.  The slot will then slide over the corner bracket on right and left sides of the clam.  I painted them black so they wont get lost on snow.  I seen the idea on one of these threads and they work absolutly great.  Couldn't possibly be easier to make.

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:03 PM »
clam nanook owners, tried to move seats back i wouldnt made it real hard to get up from so u might not want to the pole holders work very well tho and the i bolts up front are great! them bears are warm tho good luck all and merry xmas! :bow: :icefish: :bow:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #70 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:55 PM »
got rid of my lite wire rod holders on my scout and went with pvc holders.  i added a thumb bolt at the back to tighten up against bracket so they are adjustable vertically.

]

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ....... Fish Trap Tips ........ Old trap vs New trap?
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I have one of the original DAVE GENZ FISH TRAPS with canvas cover and Kozy kalf deep tub . VG shape

Carpeted bench seat that slides back and forth

Hard to pull in deep snow...but roomy

Should i sell it and buy a newer lightweight model with nylon cover?

Tips?

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:39 PM »
danman...I had one ...sold it...big mistake...

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:43 PM »
DO you miss it?  How come?  It does hold a load of stuff........What did you buy to repalce it?

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I have one of the original DAVE GENZ FISH TRAPS with canvas cover and Kozy kalf deep tub . VG shape

Carpeted bench seat that slides back and forth

Hard to pull in deep snow...but roomy

Should i sell it and buy a newer lightweight model with nylon cover?

Tips?

Where you located?  I might know someone who is looking for one.

I still have mine and still love it you need to make skies for it, then it will tow 100 times better.  I also have a nanook the quality is not the same.
;

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I bought one of the original fish traps in 1993 and liked the room and the bench seat, but as you mentioned it was terrible to drag with a little snow. I was dragging it off the ice one day 4 years ago during a very heavy snow fall and finally said enough. I bought one of the fish Trap Scouts, not as much room but it dragged A LOT easier. I missed the bench seat and slightly larger sled though. I bought a Fish Trap Guide last year so my daughters could go with me. With both seats in it there is very little room for any fishing gear. I took one of the seats out and moved the other seat more towards the middle and it works great when I'm fishing alone. Plenty of room for buckets, heater, vexlar and camera and it's big enough that I can fish two holes inside, can't do that with the Scout. i used wing nuts on the seats so i can quickly add the second seat when the kids want to go.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #76 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:46 AM »

Tips?

Just bought this today from crags list. New 5-6 years ago and NEVER used! Even got the cover still in plastic container unopened. Not 1 scratch to be found. Did I do good?

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #77 on: Mar 19, 2010, 02:00 AM »
Depends on what you paid for it
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 19, 2010, 06:39 AM »
  Just bought this today from crags list. New 5-6 years ago and NEVER used! Even got the cover still in plastic container unopened. Not 1 scratch to be found. Did I do good?

You'll love it.  It's a little tricky to get tipups in the right places, but it only took me about five trips to figure out when I'd be able to see them once I flipped the cover over.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Here are some mods I did to my trap the end of last year and just recently.  I purchased a light house cover for it from clam for $50 bucks.  I removed the seat to cut down on the weight (scout only weighs 39#'s now) and moved the rod canopy over to the side.  I also put removable skiis on my 2 man trap last year to make it easier to pull in the snow (and it worked so well that you can't even imagine!!!!) so I  put the same brackets on my scout and now the skiis can be used on either one.  Fin(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Awesome idea,I want to copy it. What size pipe you use 1/2 ,3/4?  What do you have on the tub for pipe that the legs go in to. Any more info would be great.thanks

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Sep 21, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I have an old 2-man Guide and I put a section of plastic rain gutter along the front of the tub.  I put a bolt, washer and nut about every 12".  You can put end caps on each end too, which will stiffen up the gutter.  I keep all sorts of crap in that thing - hemos, tackle, lure retriever, bait, propane bottles, etc. 

I also switched out the oem rope for a longer, thicker braided poly rope that makes pulling it a lot easier.   
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #81 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:03 PM »
I see quite a few Fish Traps that use skis with extension pieces to raise them up off the ice for easier pulling.  Have any of you made runners out of conduit before? Looking to find out how to attach the top of the conduit runners to the sled. Any ideas?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Home Despot sells a thin-walled black plastic pipe in two foot peices near the sprinkler section of the store. Works great for the 3/4 in conduit, Just use two u-bolts each to attach to the side of your sled.  They are also the right diameter to make rod holders.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:59 AM »
Thanks, I used white pvc pipe with caps glued on to it. When I get it out of storage I will post photos

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #84 on: Oct 22, 2010, 06:55 AM »
I see quite a few Fish Traps that use skis with extension pieces to raise them up off the ice for easier pulling.  Have any of you made runners out of conduit before? Looking to find out how to attach the top of the conduit runners to the sled. Any ideas?

Here is a sled I made using conduit. It's lightweight, works awesome and it has been indestructable by Boy Scouts during several winter campouts! They use it hauling gear, fire wood and for the sled races.

This one I made works well. It becomes a bear to break free of slush after sitting a little bit. Could have been just the right conditions, temp/slush?

They do cut the snow like butter though...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #85 on: Oct 22, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Home Despot sells a thin-walled black plastic pipe in two foot peices near the sprinkler section of the store. Works great for the 3/4 in conduit, Just use two u-bolts each to attach to the side of your sled.  They are also the right diameter to make rod holders.

Thanks ! I will have to check that out.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Well I think im done for now unless I see another mod I cant live with out!THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP!
1. changed seat
2.installed wear strips under tub
3. put in eye bolts and longer rope
4. put in rod holders (2)
5. installed LED lights
6. 12 volt battery box with a wood shelf to cover it while fishing, I use my deep cycle boat battery
7.made small side of tub into a rod holder- plastic divider
8. made a "lift kit" for easy pulling in snow-THANKS to fin-n-feather for help on this one!
9.put foam in bottom of tub, nothing slides and it protects everything
10. rubber mat for the ice under your feet
11.made switch box so I can turn on 1,2 or all 3 strips at once.
12.put strip of LED's under lip on the out side, lights your feet and floor
13. made bracket to hold auger
14. installed a front door
15. sprayed entire canvas with silicone water guard

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #87 on: Oct 25, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Well I think im done for now unless I see another mod I cant live with out!THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP!
1. changed seat
2.installed wear strips under tub
3. put in eye bolts and longer rope
4. put in rod holders (2)
5. installed LED lights
6. 12 volt battery box with a wood shelf to cover it while fishing, I use my deep cycle boat battery
7.made small side of tub into a rod holder- plastic divider
8. made a "lift kit" for easy pulling in snow-THANKS to fin-n-feather for help on this one!
9.put foam in bottom of tub, nothing slides and it protects everything
10. rubber mat for the ice under your feet
11.made switch box so I can turn on 1,2 or all 3 strips at once.
12.put strip of LED's under lip on the out side, lights your feet and floor
13. made bracket to hold auger
14. installed a front door
15. sprayed entire canvas with silicone water guard (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Hey Signmoney, nice job on the whole set up!  Looks pretty cool!!  Fin

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:00 AM »
Thanks Fin, and THANKS to all the ideas and help I got from this site.  now where is the ice?

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #89 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Thanks Fin, and THANKS to all the ideas and help I got from this site.  now where is the ice?
I'm hoping for ice here around Dec. 1st. Only 5 weeks!!  Usually that's pretty close to walking on water time here in central WI!  Fin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.