Author Topic: "smitty" sled height?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline zman

• IceShanty Rookie
"smitty" sled height?
« on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I have a clam guide and am looking at building a "sled" to ease the trip out onto the lake. How tall does the sled really need to be? How much clearance above the snow will I need? How well do the skis "float" up on the snow? I'm sure the type of snow makes a difference. I have an idea for some mods that I'm working on. If all goes well there will be a build along for all to see. Trying to finish prototype asap. Need more time off from work  >:(     Thanks, Eric

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "smitty" sled height?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I just made mine last week with 7" risers, I would not go any less than 6" unless you dont get any snow.  It doesn't take alot before you start to plow it.

Fishmon

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I made one for a Clam Scout and made the riser about 7" and it worked great.  Used it all last  year in some deep snow and found it much easier to drag through the white stuff.  I went to a ski shop and got an old pair of "shaped" skis for free that had a wide shovel which helps a lot to float the sled.  I would recommend  using a wider downhill type ski over a narrow cross country ski.   The ability to ride  up in the snow makes all the difference.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:23 PM »
i think mine ended up being 7" too. started with 2x12 and thought they looked way too high.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.