The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pike study  (Read 2040 times)

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
pike study
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 02:58 PM »
was nice to see a biologist out taking a survey on pike yesterday on south bay ...like to see them at least trying !
maybe that's why some people think they don't do anything....because the biologist are out there no matter the weather , but the whiners only like the sunny weather  ;D

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: pike study
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:19 PM »
You can help the state out without a biologist being present. They are always looking for people to send them the cleithral bone from the pike of Vermont's waters. Check this link out... Its only going to help the future of our amazing pike fishery!

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/pike.cfm
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:24 PM »
You can help the state out without a biologist being present. They are always looking for people to send them the cleithral bone from the pike of Vermont's waters. Check this link out... Its only going to help the future of our amazing pike fishery!

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/pike.cfm
ya thought it was great when the pike biologist contacted me about me , really like seeing them being proactive !
would like to see the deer management to be as proactive or if they are , maybe just more "visible" to the public

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:35 PM »
ya thought it was great when the pike biologist contacted me about me , really like seeing them being proactive !
would like to see the deer management to be as proactive or if they are , maybe just more "visible" to the public

Do you really want a biologist contacting you in the woods to let you know how old your deer is? haha They work youth weekends at the check stations and take antler measurements and age stats... Lets stick to that!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Do you really want a biologist contacting you in the woods to let you know how old your deer is? haha They work youth weekends at the check stations and take antler measurements and age stats... Lets stick to that!

i like to see more in the "off" season...i can remember going on "deer counts" in yards in late winter , pretty sure they dont do that anymore ...
i think they d see first hand the damage coyotes are doing if they did...

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:28 PM »
they did that when i caught my big pike and did the same with my buddy's too.  told us they would get us all the info they found on them and it would really help their big study to use a couple fish that were over 25 lbs and all this garbage.  well, over 2 years later and neither of us every heard anything back, maybe if they were in actually analyzing what they have already been given instead of out on the ice with a bunch of people they would have some results of their stupid study, but until then i guess they will just be out fraternizing on the ice.  remind me again why we pay them?>
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:37 PM »
they did that when i caught my big pike and did the same with my buddy's too.  told us they would get us all the info they found on them and it would really help their big study to use a couple fish that were over 25 lbs and all this garbage.  well, over 2 years later and neither of us every heard anything back, maybe if they were in actually analyzing what they have already been given instead of out on the ice with a bunch of people they would have some results of their stupid study, but until then i guess they will just be out fraternizing on the ice.  remind me again why we pay them?>

Did you contact anyone? I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of analyzed data somewhere online.

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:58 PM »
i m sure they use the data , the notifying people with the info is probably the slow part ...probably the same deal with the bear teeth ... sometimes you get the info back , sometimes you don't ...
i d like to get the info back but as long as they use it , its worth it to me ...

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Yeah and the lab work isn't always done locally. Moose incisors are shipped west for aging. Not sure where bear teeth are done.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Be careful about studies.  The last time they put on a study down south they shut down the Battenkill.  It seems like every study they conduct results in a loss of some kind of hunting or fishing.  Just my .02.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:37 AM »
I disagree with Mike, they won't stop you from fishing, the state will  just make you buy a special Pike stamp or something before you can. $20 Please.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:57 AM »
i can remember going on "deer counts" in yards in late winter , pretty sure they dont do that anymore ...

Don't need to, there are 150,000 deer in Vermont  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Be careful about studies.  The last time they put on a study down south they shut down the Battenkill.  It seems like every study they conduct results in a loss of some kind of hunting or fishing.  Just my .02.

But look at how the fishing there is now...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:04 AM »
But look at how the fishing there is now...
I haven't had good fishing on the Battenkill since I was a kid in the 70's, pre study.  I usually get there a few times a year.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.