Author Topic: Lowrance Hook 5  (Read 1151 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Lowrance Hook 5
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Does anybody use one of these on the ice? I was thinking of getting one to put on my kayak during the summer, and use on the ice during the winter.

Id like to hear from people who actually do use them, what they think of it.

Thanks.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance Hook 5
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I love mine. Use it on my nitro during the summer and on the ice all winter.  I wouldn't go without it now. For the money it was a great purchase
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 12:59 PM »
How much time do you get off a typical 9Ah battery? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:53 PM »
I use the Hook 5 on my kayak and on the ice. I have the ice kit, but it is more convenient for me to just use a RAM mount on both the kayak and flip-over (mounted on the tub between my legs). It has performed pretty well for me. I was marking a 4mm jig at 50’ last weekend in the kayak….at least when the wind cooperated. Never had any problems with the unit on the ice. I use a 10Ah battery, and routinely fish for 16hr+ on the ice without the battery dying. Just make sure you get a good charger to get the most out of any battery.

I keep looking at the Marcum LX6, and now the Helix 7, but can’t find enough to complain about to justify making the change (yet). I focus on the amplitude meter about 99% of the time, and it looks like those two units have a better display in that area (Lowrance is more like a blob, and they are more of a defined line like a showdown). Really wish that Lowrance would come out with a better ice transducer. The large cone can make it difficult to interpret when fishing shallow weeds. Also a word of warning, the Lowrance does have a learning curve and requires some initial set-up time on the ice.

I still think that it is a solid unit, and a bargain for sharing between the kayak and the ice. Although, I would give the Helix 7 a hard look, if I were purchasing today.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:11 PM »
How much time do you get off a typical 9Ah battery?
I have gone all day no problem. I don't leave it on when not using it. Honestly best thing I've bought for ice fishing
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Love my Elite 5HDI, which is basically the same thing w/out CHIRP.  I've used mine for 12+ hours straight without killing the battery.  I charge it after every trip with a Battery Tender Jr.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:26 PM »
I have owned the x67c and two different elite 5 units and have been loyal to Lowrance for nearly a decade but last week I bought a humminbird helix 7 g2 chirp ice unit and the difference is day and night to be honest.

The quality of the bag is way better, the screen is clearer, the graphics are better, the adjustments are simpler and more intuitive.

Overall I can't think of a single thing I will miss from the lowrance units.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Have you had the Helix on the ice yet? I’m also thinking about moving from Lowrance to the Helix, and only use the graph (no flasher). How do you compare the amplitude meter on the Lowrance vs the equivalent on the Helix?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.