Author Topic: GoPro  (Read 1494 times)

Chute82

GoPro
« on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Maybe someone could point me in the right direction for a go pro.  I do a bunch of rabbit and pheasant hunting with my beagles and try recoding my hunts on my iPhone.  Which sucks the life from my battery and would like something hands free. My father can’t go hunting anymore but loves watching the videos of the hounds at work.  Wouldn’t mind also filming some fishing events ...so what’s the best GoPro for the buck. Need something waterproof, lightweight, and good film quality.  Thx

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: GoPro
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2017, 04:46 PM »
i bought the go pro 5 black and then they released the go pro 6 black. only difference is the frame rate is 60 frames per second on the 6 in 4k. so unless you need super slow mode scene playback the 5 will be fine. extra batteries are 18$. you can buy plenty of accessories for it. the cube was a no go because you can't swap the battery when you need more run time.
i added the front lens and rear display protectors that are stuck on to keep from getting scratches.

it uses voice commands for operation and they make a remote for it that does the same. it has stereo mics and built in wind elimination by shutting off which ever mic is getting hit the hardest with wind. the go pro is the best way to go.

keep your eyes open for the micro sd card needed. they are expensive and you have to use the fastest one out or they have been known to melt in the socket if you compromise by going cheap.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:04 PM »
not to go off topic but how long of battery run time do go pros get in 1080 vid mode?ive got 2 xcel spypoint 1080hd cams that I can only get 30 minutes each and if its cold I cant get but 15 minutes of footage.i wear one on my head and the other in the boat but it sucks for fall steelhead/salmon season because the short battery life.both are new too.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:41 PM »
i haven't paid much attention to the run times. i use it on my bikes and mostly as a dash cam now. as a dash cam it's always plugged into a usb port. guessing, i'd say an hour. i could grab it off of my windshield to run a test. i always have a spare battery charged and can charge the dead one so i don't watch the run time really.
here's a good review of them.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/gopro-hero5-black-review.html

it's pretty new for me and i still want to use it kayaking.

the speakers i take with me have a usb charge port to charge usb devices like the go pro batteries. the new marcum shuttle has usb charge ports too.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:44 PM »
For what you're doing I would opt for a lower end or even older used go pro.

Also look at the options for dog harness' you can get some really great first "person" shots while tbe dog is in action- lots of videos on youtube.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I get forty minutes per charge with the go pro 5

not to go off topic but how long of battery run time do go pros get in 1080 vid mode?ive got 2 xcel spypoint 1080hd cams that I can only get 30 minutes each and if its cold I cant get but 15 minutes of footage.i wear one on my head and the other in the boat but it sucks for fall steelhead/salmon season because the short battery life.both are new too.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I get forty minutes per charge with the go pro 5
thanks so in perfect warmer conditions I could probably get that much time out of my xcel cams..just frustrating I try to get bobber down footage while steelhead fishing and when it finally happens my cam battery is dead .lol.recording vids in 720p helps a little then its about 45 minutes depending on how cold it is.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 09:59 PM »
i looked it up and found this info on run times.
 it says up to 2 hours 30 minutes
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/How-Long-Does-the-HERO5-Black-Battery-Last

Chute82

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Thanks for the info now have to sweet talk the wife into a Xmas gift.  She did buy me a flx-28 and I have been a good boy this year, so hopefully Santa comes through

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:09 AM »
I use a go pro hero 3 for pheasant hunting its a few years old now and works great. I hunt with pointers so I leave the camera on but dont start recording until one of my GSP's goes on point.  I can get through an entire day of hunting this way. It also makes rendering video much easier to manage because you dont get a bunch of big files. I will often charge my gopro in the truck in between walks when I drive from one place to the next. I have never had any issues with the cold.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Bought a go pro Session. Pros - Water proof, small, 1 hr 1080p record time, wifi connects to phone for viewing and portable. Cons - internal battery (means I can't switch them out)
So far I just did some recording in the shack and was pleased with the results.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I have been using the SJ4000, a gopro knock-off, they work great and only about $80.

The batteries last for about 30min. I run them off of a 12v-9a, flasher similar battery. Using the car cam mode with these batteries, they can go all day.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:56 AM »
go pro session,

buy the accessory kit with every attachment imaginable on ebay for like 30 bucks. 

i run a 64gb card and i run mine off 2 cigaret pack external batteries.   i can get 6 hours of video a session with it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.