Author Topic: Humminbird helix 7 questions  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Humminbird helix 7 questions
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:32 AM »
I was at a ice fishing seminar when I saw this unit and when the speaker said what it's cost was I almost fell out of my chair because it cost about what my 385 ice cost but does so much more. Now I want to upgrade but there are so many versions which one should I be looking at? I also use my 385 for summer on the boat so then do you use side imaging or down imaging or is there a model with both? Then do I get the "ice" version and convert it to the boat or the other way around? Thanks.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Humminbird helix 7 questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:03 AM »
What do you want to have for features? Do you really want SI, DI, is just having 2d sonar ok? Do you want GPS?

Catchin' Fish

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 05:03 PM »
My 385 ci ice has gps and that has been an unbelievably useful feature. In summer mark spots then hardwater that's my go to start spots. I think I found the model I want that has both side/down imagining. Most of the lakes I fish are small and unmapped so this new helix 7 will let me map them and figure them out. I just figured if I'm gonna spend the money I might as well really upgrade. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:07 PM »
you will have to dig a bit to figure out which way is the best to go.
You can buy the boat version, and then "ice it out" with a bag, battery charger, and transducer
or buy the ice version and get an extra gimbal mount, power cord,and transducer for the boat.
I'd buy the boat version ( I did) and then get a Genz box/battery/charger off Amazon or such, and get the new 1521 ice transducer.
MAKE SURE YOU BUY A GEN2 unit! Gen1 will not chirp or accept the  update for ice mode, which allows the CHIRP to be used ice fishing and
it adds other features as well.
It took me all summer to get used to the new tech in my Helix7 but it is a great machine once you're used to it.
Mine is 2D/DI/CHIRP/GPS/Gen2.
If you get the SI version, it will DI as well and 2D.
SI/DI will only be beneficial while moving, not staitionary.
Then there is the model with the "N" on the end, which is for "networking" if you want to run a I-Pilot trolling motor, or have multiple sonar units on your boat.
Get bit!

Offline johnsazr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:37 PM »
you will have to dig a bit to figure out which way is the best to go.
You can buy the boat version, and then "ice it out" with a bag, battery charger, and transducer
or buy the ice version and get an extra gimbal mount, power cord,and transducer for the boat.
I'd buy the boat version ( I did) and then get a Genz box/battery/charger off Amazon or such, and get the new 1521 ice transducer.
MAKE SURE YOU BUY A GEN2 unit! Gen1 will not chirp or accept the  update for ice mode, which allows the CHIRP to be used ice fishing and
it adds other features as well.
It took me all summer to get used to the new tech in my Helix7 but it is a great machine once you're used to it.
Mine is 2D/DI/CHIRP/GPS/Gen2.
If you get the SI version, it will DI as well and 2D.
SI/DI will only be beneficial while moving, not staitionary.
Then there is the model with the "N" on the end, which is for "networking" if you want to run a I-Pilot trolling motor, or have multiple sonar units on your boat.

I have the same unit as you for boat...now converting to ice...the new Chirp Ice Ducer XI 9-1521 is sold out ....what settings do you recommend I start with for ice using the G2 DI Chirp transducer that came with the unit?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2018, 02:07 PM »
I have the boat version and bought the ice conversion with chirp transducer at Sheels in Fargo, ND Monday of this week. I'll do the updates now and put the ice conversion together next fall in time for ice fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.