Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227380 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #120 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:05 PM »
leviathan slayer - good info man, never been to verona or howes lake - where can I find parking/public walk on access?

happy fishing in 2011!
Tight lines

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Hello TheDL,

Verona Lake is an easy park and walk-on from either Water Street in Verona or Salmon Lane (the road by Toppers Convenience store).  Park anywhere on either street and just walk right out. Howes Lake is a little more difficult given you have to find someone to let you cross their property. But give Verona a try first. It is a great lake. Cheers for now.

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_Slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Don

thanks for the direction - I just read back on this thread and found all I needed.  You have posted more valuable info on this site than any other kingston fisherman!  I bet those feature maps are a killer tool - good job.

Keep posting, and good luck!

dave
Tight lines

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:28 PM »
you can also get to hambly lake which is attached to verona lake and howes. not great access but decent parking. park at the quinte consvervation area and make a short trek down the portage trail. the trail is mostly overgrown after just a short distance but not impossible to venture through

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Tristan,

Excellent suggestion. Hambly holds some good winter pike and walleye. One of the biggest perch I have ever caught came from Hambly - 1.75 lbs - a whopper of a perch for back lakes. Next year if I can get my boat into Hambly I intend on charting that lake as well - usually can only get in during high water in spring time and can then up the creek between Verona and Hambly. Best spots on Hambly for walleye is the point in the middle of the north end of the lake. As for pike the best spot seems to be the entrance of the long bay in SW corner and the larger bay on the east side of the lake. Thanks again Tristan for the reminder about Hambly Lake.

Good luck fishing and Happy New Year!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Happy New Year to all the back lake fishers!

Well just returned from Verona Lake. The heat wave has watered up the ice quite a bit. With the slight breeze this morning it was like being out surfing - hahahaha!  Anyway, 2 pike, both around 4 lbs, and 8 perch. Bein gthe new year it was a benevolent day so let everybody go to be caught another day. The water on the ice was making it extremely difficult to walk even with crampons on boots. Anyway I do not think will be able to safely fish the rest of the weekend as ice along parts of the shore have already melted. Will wait for Ol' Man Winter to return. Cheers for now and safe fishing everyone.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Tristan - thanks for the tip.  I will definately check out Hambly  also - have you been out on Hambly lately?  what's the ice (or water) like?  How's the bite?

This is amazing - I started out on here about a week ago (new to ice fishing), had only one idea (BOQ) to try, now I have a 2 page list!

What kinds of lures are you guys finding successfull for walleye this time of year?  I caught my 1st walleye yesterday on BOQ near Huff's point on a bluefox perch immitation vertical jig (1 1/2" with bucktail) with one medium minnow on it.

Happy 2011!
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Anyone fish Sydenham?  I live close by and for a lake that is easy to access and gets lots of pressure during the open water season I rarely see people fishing it during the winter.
@jzuliniak

Offline cannitro482

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:12 AM »
Has anyone been out this week? I was thinkin bout headin to Dog tomorrow and was wonderin what the ice is like

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #129 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:29 AM »

was thinkin bout headin to Dog tomorrow and was wonderin what the ice is like

I was on Dog on Monday (Hogans) and there was about 7-8 inches of black ice, it will be plenty snow covered by now, but the ice was good. I have not been out at Gilmour since the new years thaw

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I was on Dog yesterday,  About 4 inches black ice at the north end just up from Knap island,  the bite was slow and not much marking on the finders .  We stayed until 12:30,  heavy snow comming down,  just one small splake caught.
Oh well it`s early season yet.
Cheers sig sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Heading to Collins saturday, has anybody else noticed how many crappie there are there now?  More than pike!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #132 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Where is the best place to park, and get on Collins? I dont fish it much,

Offline stripey85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:13 AM »
junky there is a few spots you can get onto collins from..most popular or easiest is right off mooreland dixon road and go in at the ramp at the old ladies house (mrs dixon...she is an awesome gal). parking will be crappy as it is not plowed as we park the trucks and trailers down in her backyard that she charges 6 bucks for in the soft water season. easiest is to park on the road and walk in

there is a "ramp" that is said to be "private" down off lakefeild drive that the only real people allowed are the locals, i have heard some dont like people in there so caution is A must

as for getting in right off division st there is the crick but that never seems to freeze due to flowin water

good luck!

crappies are awesome there in the early spring, but i havnt had alot of luck some hard seasons

any info?

its not the size of the worm its how you wiggle your rod!

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:07 PM »
I did make it out to hambly before new years. our group got a few pike around 20" a little slow going though. not sure what the ice
is like now but it was around 6-8".
I am heading out to big clear lake in Arden. Has anyone fished there for eyes with any luck? I went once last year with no success.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Just heading out the door to go fishing at Verona and possibly Hambly.  Just found out that the Canadian Tire Cataraqui sells small, medium and large minnows and bought a couple of dozen. Great looking bait!  As for fishing spots on Verona close to access points, in the southern bay lots of spots for perch, bluegills, crappies and pike. If you move over towards the entrance to the creek that leads over towards Hambly, lots of perch, bluegills, pike, the odd walleye and even a catfish or two (only in last few years have they shown up). So lots of walk on spots to catch fish.  If you or anyone is out this weekend I will be the big guy in camo and may even have my big black shelter up.  Keep your lines tight and may the ice be safe.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #136 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Im not sure where to go tomorrow, I was thinking either Collins, Dog or maybe Verona... Anybody know the road conditions, we got smacked with snow and I want to make sure I can still to into most of these launch areas... Im guessing Hogans would be out (or is it plowed by anyone?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Im not sure where to go tomorrow, I was thinking either Collins, Dog or maybe Verona... Anybody know the road conditions, we got smacked with snow and I want to make sure I can still to into most of these launch areas... Im guessing Hogans would be out (or is it plowed by anyone?

the road to the shipyard on Dog always seems to be plowed, I have never had problems with access.  I am going to head there tomorrow, Any body been there recently?  Last time I was there was dec 31, during the thaw, we have had a week of cold conditions so wondering what the ice is like.  I would like to get out to the deeper water on this trip.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:34 PM »
good luck JZ - let us know how you do on Dog.  I'm off to Hay Bay in the am - I'll be posting tommorow aft.

tight lines
Tight lines

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #139 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:37 PM »
You will probably see me out there tomorrow as well. I usually fish just outside of the bay leading into the shipyards

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:29 PM »
how'd you do boys?

I got skunked at huff's point (BOQ)...time for a new spot I think... :-\
Tight lines

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:45 PM »
ya theres to many people there im trying hickory lane or the power lines tomorow morning i guess there biting from 5 till 9 in the morning then 3 tyo 530 at night and there oput further towards tyhe channel now is anybody up for a fish there tomorrow morning

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #142 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I headed down to Deseronto and hammered perch all day long, only a few keepers (a couple 10 incher and a couplr 11 inchers) the rests where hungry, but small. Ice was a bit scary the front of my hole was 5 inches the back was 3 inches. High winds did not help either

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:09 PM »
lunkrhunter - thanks for the time tip - that may be my problem, I'm leaving around noon usually.  I wish I could head out with you tommorow morning, gotta work  >:(

good luck - let us know how you did?

tight lines.....
Tight lines

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:26 PM »
nice ice junky no walleyes thought eye ya ive been told those times by a couple guys who live right there  and when ive went it produced not to bad got a couple nice 3 pounders and a 2 p[ounder nothin big but i heard theres lots of 12"s up there a new school should be in soon but id try and stay away from huffs 3 guys went throught the other day when i was there theyweren"t out that far just bad spots lol but theres alot of soft spots around there so be safe boys bring your spuds and spud ahead every couple feet

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I was at Dog today, by the shipyard.  Nothing really exciting to report just a few perch.  Ice was good, solid 5-6" all the way out to 25fow. Huts starting to go up and lots of people on snowmobilies and ATVs.
@jzuliniak

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:36 PM »
went out to st georges lake just south of sharbot lake. The guys next to us caught there limit
for eyes. I got skunked just 25 feet away. my buddy I was with got one.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Tristan420 - that hurts man...especially to see them coming up right beside you ???
lunkrhuntr - you saw 3 people go through the ice at Huff's point?  When?
whn I was there on Sunday morning there were ATVs on the ice!

I'm assuming all 3 guys got out ok?  That's my biggest fear
Tight lines

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #148 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Hey Fellas!

Went out to 4th depot yesterday morning with Bass_Belt from seven to noon.  The ice was a solid seven inches but no luck.  The tip up got a hit lost the minnow but the hook didn't set.   :-\ 

Looking to do some night fishing for walleye on 4th depot any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've never night fished before.  Good luck.   :)
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:26 PM »
ya they we wearing float suits they were close to the channel and the one guy wasnt that far out he stepped right beside sopmeones hole and in he went but ya there was an atv right beside me when i was there i was just saying spud ahead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.