Author Topic: Rapala Fillet Knife ?  (Read 6319 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Rapala Fillet Knife ?
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Picked up a Rapala rechargeable fillet knife and cant seem to get it to charge .
I'm actually on my second one not charging !
Model  # REF - R   it has a 12 volt charger for you're vehicle and a 110 volt charger for an outlet .
Plug them both in and all I get is a flashing red light for three day's !
The store < Gander Mntn > don't know anything and there is no contact info on line or the package to go directly to Rapala for an answer .
I'm about ready to shove this thing down someones throat ! lol  2 forty mile round trips makes this thing cost more than it's worth . My next step will be to just get another brand all together .
Anyone who may have some info on this knife , I would GREATLY appreciate any input you may have that could help .
Thanks in advance !!!

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rapala Fillet Knife ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:02 PM »
did u pay your last electric bill?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:03 PM »

your nasty!!!  lol
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:05 PM »
your nasty!!!  lol

haha its the first thing that came to mind  :laugh:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I'm starting to wonder ! lol
I even tried a few different outlet's to see if I might have had an outlet issue .
$50.00 for the knife and 80 total miles at $ 2.38 a gallon is starting to get expensive for a fillet knife especially when you only get 14 mpg .

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:07 PM »
They SU@#!

I have had problems since day one :%$#!:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:08 PM »
They SU@#!

with charging or mechanical issues ?

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:08 PM »
WHOA WHOA WHOA back up here, $2.38 a gallon! i would drive everywhere on 2.38 a gallon! its over 3 bucks here

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:13 PM »
$2.38 per Gal..........what , are you making your own fuel? In north east Pa. were at $3.08........
opec has us by the a--

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:27 PM »
That damn knife has my head in other places rite now , lol $3.38 a gallon .
Still if it were  $1.00 a gallon it's really getting old driving back and forth .
My mind is made up that my next fillet knife will be cordless and Rapala or Mister Twister are the only two I can find in my area rite now .
I just figured with the reputation Rapala has it would have been the better choice but I starting to wonder .

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:28 PM »
They SU@#!

I agree 100% they're the biggest piece i've ever used

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:31 PM »
i dont know what part of new york your from but here it is 3.38 a gallon ;D ;D. these prices are nuts! :cookoo: :%$#!:
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Go with the Mister Twister .

Offline ToeCheese

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:37 AM »
Will the knife work when its plugged in? maybe it needs new batteries. or it could be an ID 10 T error.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:34 AM »
Will the knife work when its plugged in? maybe it needs new batteries. or it could be an ID 10 T error.
Wont work at all  , just flashing red light when it's on the charger .
I'm taking it back today and getting a Mister Twister .

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:50 AM »
mister twister!!!! i paid $289.9 on saturday for gas. in new jersey. ( i could hit n.j. with a rock from my yard)  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:53 AM »

Been real happy with my 110 volt American Angler.  Oh, gas here in my little town $2.86.9

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:31 AM »
Get a Mr. Twister, W mart had them on sale for $14.99 and I bought 3, I've been using them for a long time,I've burned up 3 or 4,but mainly from cutting large fish,like kings and large Erie eyes.I think the most I ever paid for 1 was $30.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:43 AM »
ANY of the rechargable models will give you problems with time.  Rechargable batteries simply wear with time.  Why buy something thats gonna die in the middle of a mess of perch?  :)  I suggest getting a regular plug-in-the-wall 110v model.  They will last much longer. I have a Rapala model with a 16' cord.  Heck i can clean fish from across the room with that thing.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:55 AM »
ANY of the rechargable models will give you problems with time.  Rechargable batteries simply wear with time.  Why buy something thats gonna die in the middle of a mess of perch?  :)  I suggest getting a regular plug-in-the-wall 110v model.  They will last much longer. I have a Rapala model with a 16' cord.  Heck i can clean fish from across the room with that thing.
I expect wear and tear issues but these are new , never used !
I will probably get a good 110 v at least you know you'll be able to finish before you run out of juice .
I just thought a cordless would be nice so the cord wouldn't limit where you clean fish .
When it's nice outside I would preffer to clean them outside and be able to clean up with a hose .

How has the Rapala 110 v model been for quality for you ?
As I said I don't expect it to last for ever , I don't bring a lot of fish home because There are only two of us in the house that will eat fish but when I do bring home a mess of fish I want something that will get the job done .

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:21 AM »
I expect wear and tear issues but these are new , never used !
I will probably get a good 110 v at least you know you'll be able to finish before you run out of juice .
I just thought a cordless would be nice so the cord wouldn't limit where you clean fish .
When it's nice outside I would preffer to clean them outside and be able to clean up with a hose .

As I said I don't expect it to last for ever , I don't bring a lot of fish home because There are only two of us in the house that will eat fish but when I do bring home a mess of fish I want something that will get the job done .

Tigger, I've been using the 110 volt Rapala for over 3 years now and I love it. I just found replacement blades at Gander. The old blades are good as new but I wanted the spares for future use. I highly recomend it.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:23 AM »
I'm starting to wonder ! lol
I even tried a few different outlet's to see if I might have had an outlet issue .
$50.00 for the knife and 80 total miles at $ 2.38 a gallon is starting to get expensive for a fillet knife especially when you only get 14 mpg .

hey i'll buy that knife off of you for 5 dollars!  lol

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Go with the Mister Twister .

that's the electric knife i have and it's awesome!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:29 AM »
it could be an ID 10 T error.
Ah yes, the old ID 10 T error. 

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:39 AM »

I love it.  I bought mine for 29.99 at Dick's in Greece.  That includes the knife, (2) sets of blades (one smaller one larger), a small cutting board and a nice hardcase that everything packs into.  I don't know how I lived with one for so long.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:08 PM »
we burned out our first rapala this past fall, had it a few years, wasn't getting enough air flow because of how i like to hold it, covers up the vnet holes. might try a mister twister, especially if i can find one cheap.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:25 PM »
i use an old kitchen fillet knife that holds a superior edge, never had a single issue yet. just keep it sharp!and on the gas issue, its killing me , i am a courrier and drive to and from braintree mass. everyday not to mention the hundreds of miles i drive around connecticut before i am off to mass.rite now in hamden,ct. its on the rise and when i got gas a a couple of hours ago it was3.22/gl.if things dont change, my job sure will. :'( :'( :'(
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:57 PM »
The battery packs are like a Makita Drill. There is no way to run it plugged.
And...I have been through 3 sets of batteries now :%$#!:

Again I say...Pieces of crape >:D

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:30 PM »
A guy that lives down the street from me buys truck loads of the return items from stores like Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops. He checks the items out and makes repair as necessary then resells the items once he is sure they work.  He gets a lot of returned cordless filet knives.  He told me that on a lot of them the contacts that touch the negative and positive contacts on the battery get bent down and prevent the battery from charging properly.  He takes a screw driver and bends the contacts back out how they should be and the knife will work perfectly. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Man, I bought my cordless rapala model 42 years ago and it's still going strong. The only recharge I give it is a cold brewski and she's ready to go clean more slabs. Bought it for about 5 bucks if I remember right. Seriously , sorry about the troubles you're having. Probably the fact that it's more cheap China made junk isn't helping your problem. >:(    Hope you can get it sorted out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.