Author Topic: Striker comfort issues  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Striker comfort issues
« Reply #60 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:55 AM »
To me as soon as fall in and get soaking wet you have the possibilities of hypothermia regardless of the suit you are wearing.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:44 AM »
There is a pretty big time gap between unable to tread water and dead due to hypothermia most times which is the purpose of the float suites.i should have specified hardwater in the topic .just was giving my opinion on the comfort and weight of the hardwater because I did not see anyone mentioning it.not saying one is better than another just not what I was looking for.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:00 AM »
The purpose of floatation suits is NOT to avoid hypothermia but to have you float to aid getting out. If you go in the drink you Will get wet with all suits!!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #63 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:20 AM »

A friend of my sons went through yesterday twice, he had only Striker jacket on and Frabill bibs. He got out the 1st time but the ice
         gave way on him again. He couldn't get out the second time, his phone was in his sled and was able to reach it and call 911. They sent
         the airboat out to retrieve him. He is safe but if he had the bibs on he probably could got out on his own!

IW

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:32 AM »
         A friend of my sons went through yesterday twice, he had only Striker jacket on and Frabill bibs. He got out the 1st time but the ice
         gave way on him again. He couldn't get out the second time, his phone was in his sled and was able to reach it and call 911. They sent
         the airboat out to retrieve him. He is safe but if he had the bibs on he probably could got out on his own!

IW
                          After the first time, I would have got the message!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #65 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:38 AM »
glad he is safe and sound!

after going in the first time it made him heavier and slower. his boots should have been filling with water while on the ice when the bibs were draining. so he should have gone thru a second time trying to get off if the ice was that rotten after being on it for some time.
i keep my phone in my chest pocket for that reason.
i also fell in wearing a float coat and insulated jeans and got out fast and rolled away from the bad ice.
trying to get out face first is a lot of extra work and i use my elbows and back and shoulders to get out.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:40 AM »
I alsowent in twice one day got out and gave way again.and I'm positive I got the message the first time

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:42 AM »
I alsowent in twice one day got out and gave way again.and I'm positive I got the message the first time
        If on the same outing, didn't have a choice, I took it he went back out, I prolly read it wrong!

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Everyone should watch the safety video of what to do when you fall in, it is very good. When getting out stay laying and roll to safe distance,then on all 4's until your safely away. Definitely a must to know.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #69 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:10 PM »
                          After the first time, I would have got the message!!
             All he did was get back up and it gave way! he didn't have a chance to get away, he should have crawled on his belly till he got to safer
              ice,but I guess he lost his composure and didn't think of that. I think he'd be better off with the bibs instead of the jacket, his legs

probably kept him from getting up the second time!

IW

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:58 AM »
They say no ice is 100 percent as we all know. With that being said we pretty much know when we can wonder about on good safe ice. 3.5 "-4" first ice gin clear sub zero temps,I feel more comfortable,than 5"-6" or rotting honeycomb ice on 50-60 degree day on late ice. I'd say most people fall in on late ice. Float suits are great,but they don't make you superman. I respect the ice and my life and family. When I was young and dumb I took some big chances,fished alone,didn't tell people where I was going,fish on first ice before anybody,fish longer than anybody on last ice. A lot of fall in trouble could be avoided,common sense. Just don't fish and push it one more day. No preaching will help some but I had my own one more day experience and not looking forward to another.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:15 AM »
so you do think the striker hardwater is comfortable?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:18 AM »
i think they are very comfortable!
having plenty of pockets and in the right places for my use is being comfortable.
having it fit well is being comfortable.
being the warmest coat i ever owned is comfortable.
being it can help me get out out of trouble is priceless and comforting.
knowing when the sun starts to go down and the temps follow and i know i have it with me is comforting and makes me comfortable when i put it on and knowing snow machines will see my reflectors on my suit is comforting and keeps me comfortable.
knowing for a FACT that they are the very best in customer service is very comforting.
knowing there is nothing better to buy makes me comfortable that i chose them over the others this time.
not having the noisy fabric rubbing against itself while moving makes me comfortable and i enjoy my time in it much more than the others i tried. i tried clam ice armor blue suit. i tried idi artic armor all black suit (very loud and very cold suit and very sweaty non-breathing suit) with crappy pockets and velcro that fails right away and short leg zippers and snaps every where. the magnets on striker ice suits are the best and makes me more comfortable because they get used w/o having to snap them shut unlike clam and idi.
the only thing i might agree on is the high collar touching your face if not being zipped up is a little annoying but also welcomed when using it to stop the cold winds w/o zipping it closed. if you wear it like it was intended, it wouldn't be annoying and would be keeping your entire neck warm and toasty and keep water out much better if you were to fall in. knowing it's designed that way and i have the option to wear it correctly makes me comfortable.

it there a better ice suit on the market? i don't think so and none of them i tried could hold a candle next to it. so after buying 4 ice suits i am very comfortable now, too bad it took so many to find the right one for me. to me it sounds like some may have unusual body types that can't find clothing to fit in general. i am not surprised either. this company thought some of that out and made bibs that are adjustable inseam while no one else cared enough to bother with it. is any thing perfect, certainly not, but striker has a lot going for them and and is as close to it as i can find so far.

i wish you luck in finding some thing that makes you comfortable on ice while enjoying fishing.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:21 AM »
1moslab,I do have any float suit. But will for next year. A lot of pros and cons.  The Striker looks stiff,and my buddy has the Armor suit. I donr care for their service,but probably go with it. I got to be comfortable and  mobile the way I hole hop. Basically been lucky and use common sense,but been up to my waist coming off a couple of times ON ONE MORE DAY.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Question for anyone whos washed their climate shell (jacket and bibs.)  How long do they take to air dry?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Question for anyone whos washed their climate shell (jacket and bibs.)  How long do they take to air dry?

Did mine in the summer ...sunny breezy day ...24 hrs it was dry I am cetain it took way less though  ...did not wash the soft shell jacket or the quilted bib liner those I would think at least 24 hours
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:14 PM »
I have the Hardwater bibs and they don't seem stiff to me and I don't have any problems moving around in them.  I will also say if it's a warm day I open the zippers some to vent off the excess heat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.