The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Hillsdale Report  (Read 2530 times)

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hillsdale Report
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 09:48 PM »
Hey all... got out on Baw Beese and Third lakes this morning.  Didn't catch anything on Baw Beese.  On third, caught about 7/8 dinks in about 12' of water with some weeds on bottom.  used a blue jig w/white belly & yellow eyes.  The vex really helped.  i had to take off at about 12:00, but my buddy said the bigger ones turned on after i left....go figure >:(  hope info is useful...keep those lines tight!
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hillsdale Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Where did you fish on BawBeese? At the Power Plant or further down the lake?
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Us and another memeber fished the powerplant. Nothing happening. The guy I talked to said that Saturday he caught 23 keepers. So I don't know what happened, but they weren't doing it Sunday morning. Moved to 3rd, about 10:30 or 11:00. Fishing really picked up for me at about 12, 12:30.  Fished 10 fow, away from the crowd. Catch 2 fish, wait 5 min, catch two fish, wait, catch, wait, catch. Fish would be anywhere from 6" to 3' off bottom. Keeping the bait fresh was KEY. After I caught two, they'd scatter a little and disappear from the Vex. But if I brought up my jib and put a new mousee on, they'd come right back. You could watch them come right off bottom and meet it on the way down. Probably wouldn't have to change bait as much if you used waxworms. Got off the ice at 1:30 with 10+ gills. Bite was still on when I left but 1) didn't want to clean that many and 2) had a family x-mas. I don't know if the color/size had anything to do with it, but I was using small white(glow) horizontal jig, with an orange head. They didn't hit it hard, but they would grab and hold onto it. Good Luck.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:21 PM »
Had a buddy fish third last night. He said he caught 40 gills one keeper size bass and a 30 inch northern but he says every northern he catches is about 30 inches ;) I'm heading to the power plant tomorrow. Anyone having any luck out there with pike?

Offline Bajafishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:52 PM »
I fished 3rd lake at Baw Besse Sunday 4 hours in the morning looking for northern on tip ups. Had suckers and golden shiners for bait. Got 2 flags. Lost a northern at the hole. Had another fish on for about 30 seconds. Lost it too. The bait had teeth marks all over it but never got a hook set. Oh well, at least I had action. Next time I think I'll let um eat it longer.
Anyone catch many northern on Baw Besse 3rd lake?
I talked to a guy down there that told me a lake called Cub lake somewhere in the Hillsdale area was suppose to be good for Pike. Anyone ever heard of it? Where is it?
Thanks

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:23 PM »
Cub Lake is about 5 miles south of Hillsdale. You just take South Hillsdale road and the lake is on the left hand side of the road.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:26 PM »
  Cub Lake is an awesome fishin hole for gills and redears in the cove with the cottages.  Perch are on the 20' dropoff on the sand point straight across from the
launch.  Set your tipups around the little island for pike around 30"s.  Third Lake
has an abundance of hammerhandles.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Bajafishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Thanks. I'm off work all next week. My son is coming home for Christmas (From the Marines). Me, my son and my brother are going to try it out one day next week!
How about Bird Lake? Ever fish there?
Thx again!

Offline Part_Time_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I've been fishing Long Lake on the narrows, and I've been doing well in the morning. Tuesday morning I made it out about 7:30ish and caught 40 fish but only 8 worth keeping, but this morning I was out at 6:00 and just hammered them. I caught my limit in about 3 hours and never left the first hole I drilled. Pulled in an awesome crappie, as big as my boot, and I wear size 12's. Lost several at the hole. Including one that made my 8" hole look like a 4" hole. The gills were running mainly 7-8 inches an occasional 9 would come through the ice.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:53 PM »

PTF,
  I can't wait to get into some of those Long Lake bulls.  Congrats. Sounds like you
had fun.  Are they on the ice on the main lake or just in the kettle and the narrows?

Baja,
  I fish Bird alot through the ice for perch and trout.  The rainbows have scattered
the panfish on Bird and they are tough to catch.  It's deep so electronics is nice.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Part_Time_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:46 PM »
People have been all over, out in front of the lauch to the kettel and the narrows. Not sure if they are catching any out in the deeper water, but I've seen some out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.