The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Best Ice Suit???  (Read 3030 times)

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Ice Suit???
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Looking to possibly update the fishing suit. I have had a 1 piece Refrigiwear suit for over 2o years now. Always warm even in the crappiest conditions. Anybody have any input on the newer 2 piece suits and what ones give you the most bang for your buck???
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Ice Suit???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:37 AM »
I a partial to Ice Armor by Clam (specifically the gray one).  I have not tried any of the others, but I have never notice any sort of heat loss in any element.  I use it whitefish fishing on the pier, ice-fishing all day, and steelhead fishing out of a 14' flat bottom. The only drawback that I see in comparison to some other common suits, is that this one doesn't float (haven't had to test it yet).  I would look into the Stryker suits if you are interested in something that floats, as my friend really likes his.  As for price, they retail for around 400$, but the last 2 years, Meijer has had a 50% off sale right at the end of the season to clear all inventory.  It is an unbeatable suit for 200$ IMO.  I now own a red, grey and another grey simply because they are too good to pass on.  You will have to do some research and see what fits you best for your stature.  I am 6'2'' - 160# and I have a medium coat to go with the large bibs. 
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:39 AM »
This will be my third season with an Artic Armour suite.I am on the ice 4-5 times a week and I won't even THINK of trying anything else! I have never been cold or wet. Not only is this suite wind and waterproof( not resistant), it may possibly save your life if you should happen to go thru the ice as it floats! The best investment I have ever made in regards to ice fishing. Just my opinion.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Striker Ice suit gets my vote. I have one and it's got to be they best thing I have bought for ice fishing.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Heading into the fourth season with Arctic Armor.  No complaints and I like the idea that it floats, although I have yet to test that feature.

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:02 AM »
No need for a Shanty if you have a Striker Ice suit.   Love mine! 

Chaddar

Offline IceCold82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:07 AM »
love my vexilar suit

Offline MarcumNcatchem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Got the striker hardwater suit last year because I generally run a little on the cold side, I almost never wear the jacket since I dress properly with the bibs. Can't wait to break it out again Friday for another season.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Striker - hands down, no question

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Arctic Armor is a great suit, warm,wind resistant and floats.
A good investment.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:36 AM »
1st choice striker. 2nd is arctic armor.

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:40 AM »
I also have the grey Ice Armor Extreme suit, and absolutely love it. When it wears out I might upgrade to the Arctic Armor, just for the floatability. But honestly I believe you would be happy with whichever one you were to purchase, as I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Bought the misses a artic armour suit for xmas.......plan on treating myself to one in the near future.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Any good suit thats   wind/water proof is a must

been using a Artic Armour for 4 years now and its been a great suit

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Check out the Striker website. They have a lot of innovative things incorporated into their apparel. They're ahead of the game in giving the fisherman things he didn't even know he wanted. I'm happy with mine.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:58 PM »
1st choice striker. 2nd is arctic armor.

X2

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Been using a arctic armor for 5 years. But I've handed it down, due to getting a new clam lift suit for b-day. Arctic armor was good suit just wanted to try something new.

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:08 PM »
striker ice best suit ever made

Offline old-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greenville, Mi. 3 lakes in town
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I've had a Frabill suit for a couple years and since I've had it I don't need to use my shanty any more. This suit is VERY warm and tough plus water proof and wind proof!!!

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:58 PM »
I love my Blue Ice Armour.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2013, 02:49 AM »
Ice armor it is the best.
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Offline andyb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:36 AM »
The Striker Ice suits are by far the best.  i have owned the Arctic Armor suit and it gave me 4 good years of service but lacked the ingenuity Striker Brands has incorporated into their suits.  Both suits float which was a MUST for me since ice fishing SW MI = thin ice and short ice seasons.  After transitioning to the striker suit, i had to purchase their waterfowl suit (Blind brand) because i loved my ice suit so much.  For the price of all the suits on the market these days, the Striker suits are the best buy IMO.  My buddies have owned the Vexilar, Ice Armor (Clam), Carhart, etc... suits and have had few complaints; however, something has to be said about the safety of a floating suit and the design striker has put into their entire line.  I dont think you could go wrong with any of the suits, but if your like me and you want to get the most out of your money i would urge you to check out Striker!

P.S. they are super warm and durable.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:03 AM »
@lookinfopike
you must like the gull lake cam i posted, being it's now your signature

the best suit is the one that saves your life!
look at all of the specs when you shop. make sure they tell you how many pounds it floats and for how long and then compare.  better yet , watch it doing it!

i have two of them. the clam does what it says it does, but i feel like papa smurf wearing it and also KNOW i can die wearing it. it's the blue/black ice armor. the snaps broke off.

then theres the later addition that HAS saved my life and i know it will continue to do so and it is a great feeling when walking on ice that bounces and pushes water up thru holes and gets rotten while you are still out on it.
i don't feel like a clown wearing it like i did wearing the clam suite (which i still own with brand new bibs and hardly used coat) with everyone starring at me like i am some sort of pro lost on a small lake. mine is all black and collects solar heat like crazy and that is a big factor picking colors for below freezing environments.
also, i watched with horror my bud fall thru ice and couldn't get out wearing his ice armor (gray flavored) suit for a long time and i kept asking what can i do. he got him self out and was about to remove his boots to try to get out. he used the ice he was standing on to hold under his knee to kick off and help lift up and out.

THAT is when i decided to get a float suit and i picked the one i chose for the facts put in front of me, such as how much and long does it float. it floats 900 pounds all day and night and year and can help you help others that can't help them selfs. it all adds up right?

my artic armor suit has not let me down at all other than velcro fabric being worn out because i live in my suit all day long, day after day. it's not AA's fault it is worn out, it's velcros fault. easy fix with new velcro fabric or snaps installed and not needed anyway. it has all the bells and whistles you'll need and then some. if you buy one ask the vendor about warranty tho.

just talked with my oldest bro yesterday and asked if he ever ice fished and he did big time he says, until he helped to bury one of his best friends from high school. Tery Hunicut (i remember him well too) died 100 feet from shore and had 3 kids, oldest being 6 and a wife.
RIP

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:56 AM »
love my vexilar suit
X2 on the Vexilar suit. Low cost and VERY warm. Also GREAT customer service! When my suit arrived the coat had a problem with a zipper or something (3 years ago at least), When I called them they said "No problem, a new one will be sent", two days later my new coat arrived. No problems since.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:00 AM »
@lookinfopike
you must like the gull lake cam i posted, being it's now your signature

the best suit is the one that saves your life!
look at all of the specs when you shop. make sure they tell you how many pounds it floats and for how long and then compare.  better yet , watch it doing it!

i have two of them. the clam does what it says it does, but i feel like papa smurf wearing it and also KNOW i can die wearing it. it's the blue/black ice armor. the snaps broke off.

then theres the later addition that HAS saved my life and i know it will continue to do so and it is a great feeling when walking on ice that bounces and pushes water up thru holes and gets rotten while you are still out on it.
i don't feel like a clown wearing it like i did wearing the clam suite (which i still own with brand new bibs and hardly used coat) with everyone starring at me like i am some sort of pro lost on a small lake. mine is all black and collects solar heat like crazy and that is a big factor picking colors for below freezing environments.
also, i watched with horror my bud fall thru ice and couldn't get out wearing his ice armor (gray flavored) suit for a long time and i kept asking what can i do. he got him self out and was about to remove his boots to try to get out. he used the ice he was standing on to hold under his knee to kick off and help lift up and out.

THAT is when i decided to get a float suit and i picked the one i chose for the facts put in front of me, such as how much and long does it float. it floats 900 pounds all day and night and year and can help you help others that can't help them selfs. it all adds up right?

my artic armor suit has not let me down at all other than velcro fabric being worn out because i live in my suit all day long, day after day. it's not AA's fault it is worn out, it's velcros fault. easy fix with new velcro fabric or snaps installed and not needed anyway. it has all the bells and whistles you'll need and then some. if you buy one ask the vendor about warranty tho.

just talked with my oldest bro yesterday and asked if he ever ice fished and he did big time he says, until he helped to bury one of his best friends from high school. Tery Hunicut (i remember him well too) died 100 feet from shore and had 3 kids, oldest being 6 and a wife.
RIP

Nice report there 3300 thanks... I have always been using the gull lake cam link as my signature since signing up here.
Dick and the crew at Boris are great folks and good friends. And the gull lake cam is a great help.

From what I have been reading and hearing the Striker suit is going to be the choice. Like I have said, I love my old school Refrigiwear. But it does not float. Now all I need is a sugar granny to take me shopping. Thanks to everyone for all the information. 
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Budwinn42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Big fan of the striker ice floating suit, I also have some of their waterfowl fear, great stuff. You can't wear it out, it's extremely durable with reinforced knees. A little expensive, but definitely worth the money
Walk softly and carry a big spud

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:29 AM »

Nice report there 3300 thanks... I have always been using the gull lake cam link as my signature since signing up here.
Dick and the crew at Boris are great folks and good friends. And the gull lake cam is a great help.

From what I have been reading and hearing the Striker suit is going to be the choice. Like I have said, I love my old school Refrigiwear. But it does not float. Now all I need is a sugar granny to take me shopping. Thanks to everyone for all the information.

i decided to look into why every one is talking about this suit and this is what it says about flotation;

Suits with the SUREFLOTE system are designed to provide approximately 10-12 lbs of buoyancy depending on size and style.

SUREFLOTE may be rendered ineffective in adverse conditions such as strong water currents.

The combined jacket and pant/bib with SUREFLOTE provide flotation assistance for up to two hours for an average person.

http://www.strikerbrands.com/store/p/78-Striker-Ice-Climate-Jacket.aspx
end quote

i do not understand how they can call it a flotation suit. an empty jar or jig box gives you that much flotation!

i do like it is a 3 in 1 for sure. i use columbia sports wear for that very reason
to each his own, but i want to share an experience i had with you.
i feel thu ice last march, first time for me and when that happens you don't know whats going on until a moment or so afterwards. then you realize your worst fear on ice has come true. then you realize you MUST get out, if you didn't breath in water from the shock of going in. then you use instinct to get out alive. i used what i learned from watching artic armor web site videos. i used my back and elbows and walked my top half up and bent my knees as hard as i could and got them to the top of the ice and rolled away. the suit was holding me higher in the water so it was all the more easier to do. if i were to be lower, it would have been much harder to do. also, the flotation factor was a big time difference in life or death because of the super strong current that day. if i had not popped back up like a piece of toast the current was sure to take me for a ride i wouldn't be coming back from. by the way, after i got myself out of the water, i looked around to see what others would do for a brother in need. no one even set the poles down to try to help. i hope it is because i was in and out in less that 15 seconds!

artic armor floats 900 pounds, compared to this striker suit that floats 10 pounds. might as well bring a couple of empty bottles of air in your pockets

i know what to bet my life on and i only have one chance to find out and i found out.

good luck on the 10 pounds of flotation ice suit
you just might need it some day. i hope not tho, for your sake!

Offline MarcumNcatchem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Where does it say that arctic armor floats 900lbs? I have searched and found nothing. 

Also saying something floats 900lbs is different than saying something provides 10-12lbs of bouyancy.  Bouyancy takes into account gravity, displacement, density of object and density of the liquid.  They're two completely different units that you're trying to compare.

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Just ordered a Frabill suit last night, figured it's got to be better than carharts.  :thumbsup:

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Where does it say that arctic armor floats 900lbs? I have searched and found nothing. 

Also saying something floats 900lbs is different than saying something provides 10-12lbs of bouyancy.  Bouyancy takes into account gravity, displacement, density of object and density of the liquid.  They're two completely different units that you're trying to compare.

Im no expert on floating  on water but i must say you said it well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.