The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Dead deer....  (Read 3054 times)

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Re: Dead deer....
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Only dead deer I have found was a gut shot fawn this morning relocating a stand with my brother, other than a couple missing from the routine I think its business as usuall for us. As far as the total loss that's just a big guess mho. If you have a decline in population in your area now is the time to address it don't wait till its too late.
:icefish:

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:47 PM »
We don't have any cases of blue tongue here in Pennsylvania but we had a problem just as bad, Gary Alt and the Pa Game Commission.  They have slaughtered our deer numbers severly over the past five or six years.  Our rifle deer seasons were two weeks of buck followed by three days of doe season.  Hunting was good and you had a decent chance of getting a deer.  Then they changed it a few times to what it is no, at least for the majority of the state, two weeks of deer season - a buck has to have 3 or 4 points on ONE side (depending on the area you're hunting) with doe season concurrently.  Years ago you'd see 15 or more deer a day now you'd be hard pressed to see that many all season long if you hunt every day.  License sales are down, hunters are being lost, and they are trying to get kids interested in hunting to stop the downward spiral.  The problem I see and argue is this, why would a kid want to go sit in the woods in the cold and snow if they don't see anything all day long, which happens more often than not, when they can pop in a game on the computer and shoot something every five minutes.  I'm sorry for getting on my soapbox and hope you're deer recover very fast.
I've been upset for quite awhile with our WV DNR.Seems cash is king,every year they seem to put a different spin on why the kill is down.Frankly they have cried wolf all to often,Many hunters refuse to go on the killing spree that  our DNR would like us to.Sadly it is a money thing for them,I am worried about kids no longer wanting to hunt!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Ive got 2 down already and Im looking for number 3!
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I haven't seen any dead deer out back of my new place in fruitport, so Its game on for me come opening day.   Me and my two boys have a huge chest freezer to fill.   

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I don't know exactly what the differences are but ehd and blue tongue are 2 different diseases. Both are devastating to the deer herd. EHD is from a biting midge that thrives in hot dry weather where lots of mud is present and the blue tongue is from stagnant water. I may be a little off track but everything I've read up on about the 2 diseases and this is what I gathered.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Just seen on Ch. 8 news tonight,that the DNR has issued an emergency order,limiiting the purchase of doe tags to 5 on private land & 2 on public land(what a joke!).They have had over 13,000 dead deer reported & now think that it may be as high as 50,000,in the 30 counties it has been found in.For anyone who thinks that this is not a big deal,go out & listen to how many shots you DONT hear this Thursday morning,opening day of the gun season.Ive got a few friends that are going to be in for a dissapointing season.I open my barn to friends & family each year,for deer processing.We usually do around 40-50;usually 1/3 of them are during bow season,so far I have had 2 come in. Nuff said.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I live in extreme Northeast Indiana a we have found over 200 dead on one property.  (Steuben County)

The herd is WAY down here.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Herd managment, a good friend has managed properties holding up to 800 deer (not fenced) and we talked saturday night about that many deer dying through out the state. The way he explained it to me is that it will be better for the future herds. Many may not want to hear that Michigan deer population has been over populated with bad genes, but it has been (according to what he tells me). in order to maintain and build a future of a stronger deer population and bigger deer more healthy animals you need to maintain the herd. It all falls back on the story. "do you shot the really really nice 6 point that is really defined and even on both sides or do you shoot the messed up 6 standing right next to him"? letting the messed up 6 go you are only letting the messed up genes back in the pool. These are just thoughts to ponder im not looking for an arguement just giving a few extra thoughts!
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #38 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Herd managment, a good friend has managed properties holding up to 800 deer (not fenced) and we talked saturday night about that many deer dying through out the state. The way he explained it to me is that it will be better for the future herds. Many may not want to hear that Michigan deer population has been over populated with bad genes, but it has been (according to what he tells me). in order to maintain and build a future of a stronger deer population and bigger deer more healthy animals you need to maintain the herd. It all falls back on the story. "do you shot the really really nice 6 point that is really defined and even on both sides or do you shoot the messed up 6 standing right next to him"? letting the messed up 6 go you are only letting the messed up genes back in the pool. These are just thoughts to ponder im not looking for an arguement just giving a few extra thoughts!
I agree with that thought, I took a large bodied scrub of a 4 point first week of october, in the past I have taken non tipicals even when I really did not want to.
:icefish:

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #39 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:23 PM »
My dad has been hunting our property in Jackson Country as much as he can. Seeing a record number of bucks for us this year. Seeing 5-10 different ones every sit.  Lots of does mixed in too.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Another WI guy chimin' in...... this sounds like an occasional short term event. That's a shame. But.........

You (and your deer herd) will get over it. Not like the CWD we deal with here. I can only hope it doesn't find it's way there but it know it will. Just a matter of time.....  I know I'll bristle some hackles but deer feeding and baiting spreads disease. Period..........

Best of luck to you all that hunt. I know it will be slim pickins' for us again this year. Gotta find some vennie for sausage...........

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Heard that the Muskegon River basin was bad for dead deer. I do not hunt but do go to a deer camp by Baldwin and steelhead fish and there were plenty of deer taken this year in the PM river area. Did not hear too much from them about any dead ones from the disease up there though. I can personally tell you that I have seen several deer in the Muskegon residential areas - they are pretty numerous and not easily spooked. 9 AM and 6 PM on 2 different days I had to stop in the middle of the road and wait for them to cross taking their sweet time.

Offline carbidemanfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I come home from hunting wo having seen any deer that day and a deer will be crossing the street in my subdivision. Its kind of like a teaze or somethin.
Heard that the Muskegon River basin was bad for dead deer. I do not hunt but do go to a deer camp by Baldwin and steelhead fish and there were plenty of deer taken this year in the PM river area. Did not hear too much from them about any dead ones from the disease up there though. I can personally tell you that I have seen several deer in the Muskegon residential areas - they are pretty numerous and not easily spooked. 9 AM and 6 PM on 2 different days I had to stop in the middle of the road and wait for them to cross taking their sweet time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.