The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Dead deer....  (Read 3053 times)

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
Dead deer....
« on: Sep 20, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Kind of off subject but who is hunting this year with all the dead deer?? I myself am torn between but i could use some deer in the freezer...
FISH ON

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Dead deer....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Why did your deer die?

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2012, 05:44 PM »
FISH ON

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Thanks... Bummer.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Also called Blue Tongue

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Do they literately have a blue tongue???
FISH ON

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Plenty of Deer South of town, see no problems this year

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Do they die from like car hits or a sicknes. Just curios about the blue tonge thing.

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2012, 07:17 AM »
its called EHD ...EPIZOOTIC HEMORRHAGIC DISEASE..spread by a fly bite or by a midge gnat...it causes the deer to hemorrhage internally ..causes death in 5-7 days...the DNR says it can not be past onto humans..and you can tell a sick deer, weak ,skinny,acting lethargic.. here is a page you can go to to show county by county outbreak  http://www.michigan.gov/images/emergingdiseases/EHD_2012_Reports_map_394528_7.jpg..it seems to be picking up speed...we need a hard frost quick...oh and not all deer infected will die..if they make it past a week or 10 days , chances are they will recover from it....you can also visit the dnr website @ www.michigan.gov/dnr.com

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for the info....
FISH ON

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2012, 08:00 AM »
i was fishing the kzoo river and it smelled liked dead animals last night and a couple guys down stream said there was a bunch of dead deer along the bank and in the woods.deer go to water when they are dieing.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 AM »
just read an article a few days ago about some dead deer in WI that were determined to have been caused by EHD...hopefully we all get a good hard frost soon.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2012, 08:56 AM »
just read an article a few days ago about some dead deer in WI that were determined to have been caused by EHD...hopefully we all get a good hard frost soon.
Oh great now we have CWD and EHD. What will the wonderfull (JOKE) DNR do about this?

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Oh great now we have CWD and EHD. What will the wonderfull (JOKE) DNR do about this?

that's exactly what I was thinking...know too many people who have had terrible seasons the past few years in regards to deer numbers...  :-\

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Our deer herd is so bad most of us don't even hunt anymore. See more turkeys than deer by far. Everybody cries wolf, I don't believe that. The ones we do have are alot smaller too. Like I tell my son's, Used to be everyone came up here deer hunting, Now we need to go downstate if we want venison. I honestly do not know why the herd is small. I do think part of it is because we have lost so much mature timber it is pitiful. Everything is clearcut now. No tops left behind anymore for browse, Chips are worth a few bucks. I would not mind them closing the season till the herd gets bigger. Steve

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2012, 07:56 PM »
No they do not get a "Blue Tongue" thats just the short name for it.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I know the coyotes are affecting the deer population to   
FISH ON

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Second time in three years in my neck of the woods. In 2010 I wiped out every deer in the area. Things were staring to get alot better this year and now things have gone to S around here again. Finding dead deer in the river and in the ponds around my area. Still seeing them out in the fields. I hope the frost the other night killed the midges. Two years ago the major die off was over the next two weeks. They say the deer will become immune to the flys over time. Not sure how this happens when last time they all died. That winter you could ride the sled for several miles and not even see a track.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Second time in three years in my neck of the woods. In 2010 I wiped out every deer in the area. Things were staring to get alot better this year and now things have gone to S around here again. Finding dead deer in the river and in the ponds around my area. Still seeing them out in the fields. I hope the frost the other night killed the midges. Two years ago the major die off was over the next two weeks. They say the deer will become immune to the flys over time. Not sure how this happens when last time they all died. That winter you could ride the sled for several miles and not even see a track.

It says not every deer that is bitten dies, and those that don't, become immune to the disease.

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:24 AM »
I know what they are saying and I am telling you what happened in this area. That statement is a general statement. There are cases that are less server and greater.  The DNR said 50 deer had died in this area and that was a far cry from what did die. There were that many dead deer within a mile of my home. On the plus side things are in much better shape around hear at this point. Shot a nice 8 point on opening night and saw several other deer. Maybe the deer around here have become resistant to the EHD. I hope so. The forcast is also looking great! Cool those lakes off. I will be busting ice on the way to the duck blind this weekend!

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2012, 06:54 PM »
   Here in Ionia county there are over 1800 that was reported  .   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Im seeing deer in Clinton county....haven't found any dead.

Luckily
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:44 PM »
As of Oct. 2nd., the DNR has had 8,430 dead deer reported. Ionia county has had 2,046.,They have a listing on the DNR website,under wildlife diseases.Where I am at,the deer seem to be fine,but if you go 2-3 miles in any direction,its a different & sadder story.Hunters are going to have to use some common sense for the next few years,in what we shoot.The DNR is going to have to address this situation next year,(its too late for this year,They dont understand what" emergency orders" are),and most of us have never had to deal with them.Even though I am seeing deer, I will think before  I send that Muzzy on its way to pumpstation disconnect. All we can do,is hope for a hard frost to end this mess.... for this year at least.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2012, 02:48 PM »
I've heard that the actual number reported is quite small percentage wise of the overall loss to EHD! It's a bad deal...look on the brightside though the DNR is still selling as many over the counter permits in many of the areas affected. I guess the losses due to EHD isn't bad enough for them to still try to make as much $$ as they can!!! I think that is pretty messed up...especially when they say we won't know anything until next year after harvest numbers are reported!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline summit-viper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Found 45 on 60 acres. Crappy year for sure.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:52 PM »
We don't have any cases of blue tongue here in Pennsylvania but we had a problem just as bad, Gary Alt and the Pa Game Commission.  They have slaughtered our deer numbers severly over the past five or six years.  Our rifle deer seasons were two weeks of buck followed by three days of doe season.  Hunting was good and you had a decent chance of getting a deer.  Then they changed it a few times to what it is no, at least for the majority of the state, two weeks of deer season - a buck has to have 3 or 4 points on ONE side (depending on the area you're hunting) with doe season concurrently.  Years ago you'd see 15 or more deer a day now you'd be hard pressed to see that many all season long if you hunt every day.  License sales are down, hunters are being lost, and they are trying to get kids interested in hunting to stop the downward spiral.  The problem I see and argue is this, why would a kid want to go sit in the woods in the cold and snow if they don't see anything all day long, which happens more often than not, when they can pop in a game on the computer and shoot something every five minutes.  I'm sorry for getting on my soapbox and hope you're deer recover very fast.

Offline tree digger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2012, 04:06 PM »
To harvest a deer this fall or not??? Some areas hit hard and I mean hard , other areas not affected. It once again boils down to each of us having a brain and making a decision based on the area we hunt and what the harvest should be for the existing numbers. I think regardless what law allows we all have the ability to be a steward of our resouce much better than laws that blanket the state.
So many lakes so little time

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #27 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:12 PM »
haven't seen any dead deer on my property yet, plenty of doe and yearlings, looks like were skinning by here.
:icefish:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Agree totally tree digger unfortunately not enough people folow this line of thinking.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Agree totally tree digger unfortunately not enough people folow this line of thinking.

Last report I read from the DNR said approximatley 10,000 dead from the disease.  Thats the ones reported.  How many weren't reported is the question.  As for the above quote, on another site I read a post saying the poster already had 3 deer in his freezer and it isn't rifle season yet. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.