The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST PORTABLE GPS?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Playin_Hooky

• IceShanty Rookie
WHAT IS THE BEST PORTABLE GPS?
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:41 AM »
Okay so I have added a lot of new gadgets to my ice fishing collection over the last two winters. But I am going on friday to buy new GPS unit to start marking some way points and holes where I'm picking up fish. I use to just use the old method grandpa taught me of " well straight out from that blue house and pareallel with that old stump. But the problem I'm running into is the stump is gone and the house burnt down and my mind isn't what it use to be.LOL J/K. Too be honest I am fishing more and more lakes and I just want a Portable handheld, reliable GPS that I can plug into my computer upload lake maps and that kinda thing. Anyone have any suggestions? If so I live around the lansing area so I can travel as far as cabelas in dundee to Knutson's in brooklyn to possiably frank's in linwood my wife is going wedding dress shopping so I got the green light to buy a GPS. LOL So Please help me out Fellas!!!!
Screaming drags and tip-ups flyin all winter long that's what I'm all about ~* Dustin Wright *~

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST PORTABLE GPS?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:33 AM »
I can ONLY reccommend the Garmin line of handhelds. My wife and I have used them since 2002 for geocaching (Google it) Since then we have found over 5000 hidden "caches" with the Garmins. They are without exception the standard in the industry. You can start with one for as little as $100 and up to $500 roughly. She carries the Legend eTrex HCX which I highly reccommend. Mid priced, fits in the pocket, has a slot for a memory card that (with the proper card) also provide turn by turn navigation. I have the newest model in their line of hand helds. The Map 62S.  Cost is about $150 more and has some features most hunters and fishers wont ever use. Both units have color screens but for most people I would push you toward the eTrex Legend HCX. If you have not had any experience the owners manual can be rather overwhelming but once you have the basics then its easy and then the manual makes sense. Should you endup with a Garmin and want some help getting the basics down to a pat I would be glad to start you out. Im in the Grand Rapids/Wyoming area, just let me know.

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:28 AM »
Tree toad is right Garmin is the way to go, but might I add lowrance too.  I would recommend one that takes SD cards for mapping software of lakes and topo. The chips are a little expensive but very handy when it comes to fishing and hunting. I would also recommend the lowrance h2o color. I have one of these units  and it is a great unit that takes the chip, I think now that this unit is discontinued as of last year but it can be picked up on ebay for a good price, great unit. There are also these new Garmin units that are crossover units, they do straight line navigation like your normal hand held and also do turn by turn directions like the ones you see in cars and are built for the outdoors, I think it is called the 450 and 500 by Garmin.
Fish on !

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:32 AM »
I have a Garmin 76CSX with a LakeMaster sd chip for Michigan and it's the cat's meow for me. I have a bracket and power cord for my Bassboat application and goes in my pocket for ice fishing and hunting Morel mushrooms as well. It was a bit overwhelming at first but after a bit of reading and understanding best money I have spent! The best part is if you are fishing a lake you never been on it will get you the info you are looking for!

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:47 AM »
Will throw in my vote for the Garmin Rino.  The advantages come when you get your buddies to buy them also.  These units are walkie-talkie, gps combos.  They are awesome for hunting and fishing, you can see where your buddies are without talking to them, or you can radio or text them.  The newer ones have a color screen and will accept lake contours. 

Offline DRR324

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Emilys 27" walleye- released 1/10/10
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Garmin 60CX
Sit in the house- or sit in the shanty, let's see, beer and crappies- I'm going fishing.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Garmin all the way!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:32 AM »
really like my garmin 76..Added the lakemaster program and now I love it...
I recommend getting one that is waterproof and floats....Saved me last weekend

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX.  I like it.  Only thing i'm not a huge fan of is there compatability with the lake chips.  I like the Navionics chips the best, but they arent compatible with Garmins.  I have a Lakemaster chip in mine, which is nice, but I think the accuracy is lacking a bit.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Garmin 60 Csx It's a rugged waterproof model that will pick up a signal very easily.  And since Garmin came out with a Top of the line 62 Model the older csx's are getting cheaper. Good time to buy. 

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Another vote for the 60 CSX.  I have it and it is very reliable.  It has good battery life and will get a signal almost anywhere. 

With this GPSr you can use it for just about whatever you need.  I have a 4 gig micro SD card in mine and I have auto routing (with turn by turn directions) for almost the entire continental US, fishing hot spots (with depth countours and everything similar to the Navionics lines), Topo maps for Michigan and Illinois for my hunting.  Simply awsome GPSr and as the other poster mentioned this model is getting cheaper as newer models come out.

I will admit to being a Garmin man similar to Tree Toad.  I've owned 4 garmins and been Happy with all of them.

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2011, 12:19 PM »
garmin all the way!!!

ihave had the garmin vista, gpsmap 60c, gpsmap 60cx, and now the oregon 400t. i upgrade every few years. i liked the 60c the best.
fish on!!!

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:12 PM »
I have a Garmin 60CSX with Lakemaster card and it does everything I need.  One of the salesman at Cabelas told me it was one of the more waterproof units.  He had been playing with GPS units for 7+ years and he felt it was one of the best and I would agree.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Playin_Hooky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Thanks for all your great help guys!!!!! It's a blessing to know there are people out there like you guys that don't wanna see people just waste there money. So I made up my mind on a Garmin Dakota 20. But now what I can't decide is what lake program to go with? The Lake Master Michigan Download is "$107.76" or if I should go with the Lake Vision Northeast download version that is "$99.97"? It would seem to me that if I got a program that is dealing with michigan inland lakes it would be more detailed map on the lakes I fish. Since I primariarly fish in Michigan. Does anyone have either of these programs are they a good tool to have or is it a waste of money?
Screaming drags and tip-ups flyin all winter long that's what I'm all about ~* Dustin Wright *~

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:39 PM »
i asked the same question a few weeks ago. got some good advise. goto the link:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=163913.0
fish on!!!

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I used my Lakemaster card today.  Slow day on the water but went right where I wanted to go.  I do need to get a mount for my sled and quad.  It's not good to try and drive the sled with one hand and hold GPS with the other.  I go slow but it still isn't the best thing to do.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I used my Lakemaster card today.  Slow day on the water but went right where I wanted to go.  I do need to get a mount for my sled and quad.  It's not good to try and drive the sled with one hand and hold GPS with the other.  I go slow but it still isn't the best thing to do.
Ram mounts will have one.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I'll second the ram mounts, infinite positioning and durable, top of the line.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I think you better check out the DeLorme line of personal gps.  I have had the PN-40 for 3 seasons now, it will allow you to use the Navionics platinum series maps and also overlay Satellite photos which I have found extremely handy while hunting too...The new PN-60 may be a better unit, but no experience with that one...I download all my waypoints back to my lap top on the delorme maps which come with the unit...topo USA and road maps too..All can be overlayed....6 foot range on my fishing spots, as well as Geo chacheing option too.  Barebow :icefish:

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Are the Ram mounts GPS specific or do they adjust to fit all?

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Are the Ram mounts GPS specific or do they adjust to fit all?
GPS specific and type of mount (cycle, quad, car,etc)

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I've owned 7 GPS units to date. Bought a 60CSX when they first came out. It's the first handheld I have owned that I don't feel I need to replace with an updated model.I do plan on updating in the future,but only because my 60csx is getting OLD....I have logged several hundred hours on it and it has never missed a beat.
I will without a doubt be buying another Garmin.

nove

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:05 AM »
The ram mounts are unique to each unit. You can check Rams web site for them.
Fish on !

Offline walleyeguy250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:19 PM »
I use the H20 C.  With this I can use the same Lake Map Chip I use during the open water season.  I use Lowrance on my boat, and I can easily move my waypoints from my boat unit to the portable. 

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:33 PM »
The ram mounts are unique to each unit. You can check Rams web site for them.

The Ram Mounts are great! And last I looked they are made in USA ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.