The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Went To Check The Ice Today  (Read 5598 times)

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Went To Check The Ice Today
« on: Nov 24, 2012, 05:12 PM »
I thought I would check the ice today, and then go back tomorrow and see how much ice we would gain in 24 hours.  Anyway. My expectation was that I would find about 1/2 inch of ice.  I went to a small local, shallow lake, and to my surprise, it was about 98% open.  On my way home, I decided to check out Lake Wissota.  Now I knew that the main lake is no where close to being iced over, but the boat landing is in a sheltered bay.  Sure enough, the bay was iced over.  I had a spud along, and punched through easily.  About 1/4 inch of ice.  I will check that spot tomorrow, as well as heading a little further north to check the ice on several other lakes.  I will let you know what I find.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Went To Check The Ice Today
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:35 PM »
didn't surprise me a bit...I didn't expect any ice given the wind the past 2 days.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:43 PM »
The Oneill creek campground bay was completely froze over on the drive home from hunting today. Checked glen loch and the back bay seemed to be froze over and skim ice on the edges otherwise.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:45 PM »
didn't surprise me a bit...I didn't expect any ice given the wind the past 2 days.

The first spot that I checked was fairly sheltered, so I was surprised.      Actually the first spot was more sheltered than the 2nd spot.  However the wind did not do us any favors.  I will be checking a couple of other lakes tomorrow, and see what we have there.  It will be interesting to see how much ice is gained at the Wissota landing.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I know their is a spot on Thursday I'll will have all my fishing gear with for cause their should be 2 inches.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Ok, got back from checking the ice.  Bad News!  At the Wissota landing, I checked the ice, little to no gain in ice thickness.  Then I went to Popple lake, and found it wide open.  Not a huge surprise, as the lake is fairly open.  Then I went to Howe lake.  This lake is quite sheltered.  Again I found it wide open.  At that point I came home.  If I had found any positive signs, I would have kept looking.  According to the forecast, it sounds like warmer weather.  Does not look like ice fishing is in our immediate future.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:12 PM »
doesn't surprise me at all. All snow melted today that fell last night.....and it's still windy enough.....in the next few days, should get a starter layer.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:38 PM »
up here we got this today. i will be fishing no doubt in 2 weeks. maybe maybe fishing shallow next weekend!!  here is some ice pron for ya.

3/4 '' ice

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Nice...expected it up North...has been colder for longer. yep...looks like you should be out there soon enough.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:28 PM »
I really hope the Weather Channel is wrong. They are calling for rain and in the high 40s on Saturday, That really sucks. :( :(
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Yeah I hope it changes i really don't like that pretty much just undo whats the nice cold weather is doing right now.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Ya the little warm up at the high of the day probably woldent do too much damage but that rain is really a killer. :(

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Went and checked the landing at Wissota again.  Gained about 1/2 an inch.  Ice is now aout 3/4 of an inch.  Also checked Glen Loch, aout 75% skimmed over.  Will check again in the morning on my way home from work.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Went and checked the landing at Wissota again.  Gained about 1/2 an inch.  Ice is now aout 3/4 of an inch.  Also checked Glen Loch, aout 75% skimmed over.  Will check again in the morning on my way home from work.

I also checked glen loch today and i think tonight it will get a solid freeze over but I didn't check the back bay by the golf course I would think it would be froze over pretty good.

Offline WhiskyCrappie52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Really starting to get the "itch" bad. On my way home from hunting last night a small lake in Ashland Co. was totally glazed over didnt get out to check thickness though.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Checked that little 80 acre lake tonight still a small spot of open water near the middle but I'm sure tonight will do it. I have 5 f right now at 7:30 pm and zero wind. We have almost 4 inches of snow in my yard and I think its here to stay.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Checked that little 80 acre lake tonight still a small spot of open water near the middle but I'm sure tonight will do it. I have 5 f right now at 7:30 pm and zero wind. We have almost 4 inches of snow in my yard and I think its here to stay.

Let us know how thick it is.  You probably are a few days ahead of us down here.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Stood on the ice on 2 different bodies of water.  About 2 inches at Wissota rod ang gun boat landing.  Less at glen loch boat landing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 AM »
A small 30 acre lake was compleatle glazed over this morning near Portage. I was so happy. ;D I hope it doesnt open up today and can survive the weekend.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM »
I just went out at lunch today and checked a 62 acre lake near my work, it was frozen over. I walked out about 25 feet with a spud bar and poked a hole 2-3/4 inch thick happy days are here again. I could see out about 75 more feet that the ice was one day thinner, but sure looks good for this coming weekend.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Oh that looks good!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2012, 01:25 PM »
I just walked about a foot out on 1" of ice and was happy. I will post pics later.

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I just checked a lake near New Richmond yesterday and then again today and I think it lost ice. It's 35 degrees where I am right now.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Stepped out on about a 1/2" in La Crosse and even the Black River was skimmed over.  Supposed to be 50 this weekend so it's probably all for naught anyways.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Going down to 10f tonight should make another 1/2" - 3/4" even if it warms up Saturday it will only be for maybe 6 hours above freezing then 18 hours below freezing, so I think the ice is here to stay, at least where I'm at.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Checked a ton of inland lakes here in northern most woods foun some of the smaller ones had only a little over an inch and most of the big lakes were still open. Soon though I hope!

Offline Tipup Marathon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yay fishing
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Planning on going out on Saturday

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I checked the WI River by me (typical ice fishable areas anyway) South of HH and there was a layer of ice. put my foot through within a foot of shore...probably about a 1/2" out to the channel which is still open of course.

North side of Point is probably thicker ice in the backwater.

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Fished in Point today..

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:06 PM »
I want to go out tomorrow just so I can say I was ice fishing in November, it's been a while. We should have well over 3 inches by now on the small lakes I have been checking this week. I'll take a hour lunch and drop a line in, one lake is only 2 miles from my work with good crappie and bluegill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.