The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Wissota  (Read 3779 times)

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Lake Wissota
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:39 AM »
Drove past Lake Wissota today. The little lake is froze over, and most of the big lake by co rd x is frozen.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Wissota
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I wonder what the state park looks like? I'm thinking Christmas Eve day I'll be out chasing the crappies.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Have not been at the park, so I habe no idea how the ice is looking thete.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Drove past tonight and it looked some open pockets still on the little lake and it isn't supposed to be real cold next week either.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Hey guys, any luck with the small lake freezing up better this week?  I have been out on Wissota bays the last two weekends going after northern and walleye, we have been averaging 6 fish a night for the 4-6pm bite.  Almost all fish on tip ups vs jigging.   The ice is about 6" in the bays I am fishing, actually less ice at shore than out a little but I am comfortable and the flats we fish are shallow.  But the little lake was open on Friday and then frozen over on Saturday. I still think it will be a while to get good ice there.

I took some extra days off starting this week and next hoping to do a lot of extended fishing but it looks like I may head a little north to find some better ice to go after gills or crappie.   

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:18 PM »
On Monday there was a portable in front of the View. Did not see any one else fishing. Yesterday did not see anyone fishing,  but saw some auger holes by the old steak house,  and on the pond by Poo's.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Thanks for the update,  I know Poo's is always good for some better ice earlier than other places.   Last Sunday I saw some flip overs under the Yellow River bridge I thought that was pretty aggressive for an area with moving water,  they were gone by the time I drove by I was going to check on ice depth.   

It's nice when everything freezes up as people can spread out,  I saw some strange locations where guys were drilling around Wissota, that I have never seen anyone fishing at.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Maybe trying something new,  or maybe just looking for safe ice!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Think I'll be heading out here this weekend to give it a shot and see what happens.

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2011, 01:18 PM »
hoping to hit wissota soon, i live in bloomer and ive only fished the lake a few times years ago, too many other spots to fish, but now days i dont like driving so far so i guess its time to learn the lake :)

Offline tip-down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:29 PM »
has anyone been fishing wissota?  Has anyone ever fished the state park bank with tip-ups would love to get sone eyes out there.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:52 AM »
has anyone been fishing wissota?  Has anyone ever fished the state park bank with tip-ups would love to get sone eyes out there.

Was out there yesterday no flags or anything the two other guys out there didn't have any either.

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:47 PM »
tried that sop about 2 years ago with zero results

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Anyone fish the tourney this weekend on Little Wissota?  I stopped by to check out all of the action, was really busy,  I prefer to fish away from the crowds so I didn't fish the tourney but got into crappie in another location.   Very little size to them but I was catching 1 every 5-10 minutes which was the most action I have had on Wissota this year jigging.

Also did anyone see the car that went through the ice over by the Waters Edge bridge?  Looks like they were driving from Larson's Landing out toward the fish cribs when they went through,  that is a bad spot to be driving for sure, not sure if they new the area well.  But there were 2-3 tow trucks out there as the car was pretty far out, so one truck was out on the ice about a 100yards with his cable fully extended and a second tow truck on shore hooked up. 

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2012, 01:10 PM »
Heres a close up

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:34 AM »
yep that's the one I saw,  I tried to take a photo while driving over the bridge but looks like you got a lot closer than I did, hopefully it wasn't your car  :)   

Looks like everyone got out ok, even knowing that area is bad for ice, I was surprised to see such a small car go through.   Then you go over to the Little Lake for the fishing tourney and there was 100 cars parked right next to each other on the ice.   I parked down the street vs the ice when I stopped in.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Looks like he made it a long ways before he went through!    Just lucky it was not on the bottom!!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:08 PM »
My buddy works for his dad's towing company so he took the pic I guess the ice was 14 inches by shore and 7 where he broke through. Not my car but I know who the guy is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.