The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: new rules for minnows  (Read 3891 times)

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
new rules for minnows
« on: Oct 13, 2009, 05:06 PM »
are we required to have a receipt on us for the minnows in our possession?

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Re: new rules for minnows
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Not that I'm aware of..... ???

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:12 PM »
It was my last impression that we ARE supposed to have the reciept in our possesion in order to prove that they were purchased from a certified VHS free source????

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I don't believe we are responsible for that, in order for a licensed bait dealer to sell bait, they need to get it from a VHS free source.  The burden is on the dealers, I'm fairly sure.  I took a stroll through the reg book, and it doesn't state anything about maintaining a reciept for bait.

Since it's illegal to harvest minnows in this state and transport them anywhere alive, It's almost a given you buy your live bait, and you shouldn't be buying them anywhere but a licensed dealer.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Well.... I understand that. The point I was getting at was that you had to prove that you purchased the minnows and didn't harvest them somewhere else and bring them with you. Maybe the reciept isnt a requirement anymore... but I thought at one point that it was.... and I don't believe that it was in the reg book at that time either.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Well... I just looked at the rules online and found nothing about having the receipt on you while fishing. It did state, however, that it was illegal to transport ANY live fish or minnows unless they were purchased from a liscensed dealer. It didn't say anything about needing the receipt to prove it..... but I guess it depends on who is wanting to talk to you about it and how big of pricks they are?? LOL... I dunno!!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Sounds simple to me, just like NY, you can't prove where you got 'em without a receipt. I can come up to you and tell you I'm your long lost brother, are you gonna belive me without proof or tell me to go pound salt? In NY you need a receipt that states the species, that they are certified, the number you posess and they are only good for 7 days from the purchase date. It seems all the states along the great lakes are starting to implement similar rules.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2009, 09:04 AM »
In the state of Wisconsin, no receipt is required. only New York state as far as I know.

HIMO
                                     Wisconsin Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:16 PM »
 I have not seen anything about this yet at all??Hmm ??? ???

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2009, 06:11 PM »
In the state of Wisconsin, no receipt is required. only New York state as far as I know.

Michigan also requires a minnow receipt.

Jeff

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2009, 10:01 AM »
well, i guess i'll start hangin on to the receipt. don't need the dnr confiscating any of my stuff. you know how they can get >:(

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2009, 10:03 AM »
thanks again fellas!!!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:20 AM »
well, i guess i'll start hangin on to the receipt. don't need the dnr confiscating any of my stuff. you know how they can get >:(

I'd like to see them try, that would be a civil lawsuit immediately, the only way the DNR is going to bother you about bait is if someone tips them off that you're catching your own.  This is just another in a long list of un-enforcable laws the DNR gets to deal with.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2009, 03:03 PM »
1st of all.. it is NOT unenforceable. It is completely enforceable if they WISH to do it. Secondly..... is it REALLY that big of a deal to just slip that little reciept into a pocket as ur running out of the baitshop on your way to go fishing?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I called the DNR this afternoon. we do not need a receipt for our bait. we are good to go.

Himo
                                 Wisconsin IceShanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2009, 06:06 PM »
I called the DNR this afternoon. we do not need a receipt for our bait. we are good to go.

Himo
                                 Wisconsin IceShanty Moderator

Himo,

That is what I had said earlier... that the rules themselves don't specifically say: "You MUST carry a reciept for the minnows on you at all times" but it DOES say that if they are transported at all.... they MUST be purchased from a liscenced bait dealer. Now in order to PROVE that they were purchased from a liscenced bait dealer... you kinda need a reciept... see what I'm saying??

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2009, 12:36 AM »
With respect to the reciept thing, you can still trap minnows as long as you use them on the same body of water. So, a reciept would be a little hard to produce.       Unless they changed the rules from last year, I think you can remove your minnows from the body of water and not kill them as long as they are only used on that body of water later.   Which makes it really hard for the DNR to enforce.   

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Sven... you are HALF right..... You CAN trap your own minnows to use on the body of water that you trapped them on. You can only TRANSPORT minnows or ANY live fish if they were purchased. That means that if you have minnows on the lake.... and you're claiming that you trapped them... you had better have minnow trapping gear with you. Otherwise, they could assume that you either trapped them at a differnt lake and illegally transported them. Anyohow... I really don't think it's a big issue, but my point is that they COULD make it an issue if they wanted to.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2009, 10:39 AM »
1st of all.. it is NOT unenforceable. It is completely enforceable if they WISH to do it. Secondly..... is it REALLY that big of a deal to just slip that little reciept into a pocket as ur running out of the baitshop on your way to go fishing?

If a warden asks you where you got your bait without proof of purchase required, how does he bust you?  He'd have to be tipped off.

While I don't disagree with the idea of keeping a bait receipt on you, as the law stands now, it would be hard for a warden to prove anything.

If you follow the rules and keep your bait more than a day, provided you keep your bait segregated from lake water, keeping a reciept would be kind of a challenge, maybe need to get some sort of waterproof and UV resistant plastic sleeve or something. I've kept a few dozen large goldies for over a month before.  I know some receipts won't last 2 weeks in my wallet, the toner rubs off from these laser printers, and they fade fast if in sunlight.

EDIT:
Also, I didn't see this come up, but, "Anglers can also take purchased minnows away from a waterbody and use them elsewhere if no lake or river water or other fish were added to the bait container"  Which is good for icefisherman, since I'd think we all use minnow buckets, however it sucks for open water because your boat's bait well is useless unless you want to toss your minnows after every trip.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:22 PM »
Yep, I was half right!     Should have read just a bit closer.   

As far as the receipt, most bait shops I go, the receipt isn't much.   Especially to tell you if I bought bait or a pop.   They would have to put some type of rule in for defining the receipt.

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2009, 06:07 AM »
IMO Live bait will be a thing of the past.  Just watch a few fishing shows and you will see the artificial manufactures pushing their products in commercials and by the show itself.  The DNR has a bleed heart case in the VHS and the artificial companies have lobbyist money.  Between the two, a law will be past as other states already have intact to ban the use of live bait.  The DNR wins, the bait manufactures win, and the sportsman once again are told that we win also(believe it or not).  It makes for good discussion in the ice shack.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2009, 02:24 PM »
probably VERY true there Comp.... We had better all get used to it sooner or later....

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:45 PM »
give it time.  the government will get there hands into your pockets one way or another. :tipup:

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:11 PM »
 Here in Vermont you have to have a reciept and it states the body of water you intend to fish, and when your done fishing you can't take the bait of the ice. Must be dumped. Wasted a tone of money last year.
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Here in Vermont you have to have a reciept and it states the body of water you intend to fish, and when your done fishing you can't take the bait of the ice. Must be dumped. Wasted a tone of money last year.

These are the types of things that happen when laws are made by non-sportsmen that are not given all the facts.  Alot of this is just fear mongering.  I feel bad for you guys and I prey they don't pull that crap here.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I heard they DNR is going to microchip every minnow so they can track them.  :)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I heard that too, but the budget is so short, that you'll have to buy a minnow stamp.

one for fatheads, one for Rosies, one for shiners.   It's not too bad, their only $15.00 for each stamp.

Also, because of budget shortfalls, you have to turn in your dead minnows so that they can remove the chip and install it in the new (live) minnows.

If you don't you have to pay a "core charge" like at the auto store.

;)2 ;D

Wiener

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:35 AM »
That there is pretty funny I do say!
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict