The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: So here's the etimate on my ice fishing car damage  (Read 1794 times)

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
So here's the etimate on my ice fishing car damage
« on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Only car parked in a football size parking lot yesterday, thinking going to be a great day ice fishing. 8 baby slime darts and one bass in the first 3 hours. See a 10 year old kid coming out toward me, figure he's going to ask about the ice or the fishing.

Knew it was bad when he said, " is that your silver car in the parking lot?"  "My dad just backed into it"

Off the ice I run, saying a few choice words under my breath.( well maybe out loud)!!!

Get to the car and sure enough drivers door crumpled and mirror hanging off!!!

Guy admits he is 100 percent at fault to cops, and all info exchanged.
AS I am on phone with insurance, BIG ED comes in for some fishing.

Long story short, appraisal done today and comes in at $3,300....Now that is whopper of a fishing story!!!!!
Someone told me ice fishing was too good to be true. I said, what's the catch?

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
Re: So here's the etimate on my ice fishing car damage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Ouch.  Good thing his insurance is gonna foot the bill.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Yes and pay for my rental car. But still stinks for all involved :'(

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Wow that's a lot of damage to a parked car. I hope the fishing was decent at least.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Ya and now your car has a bad Carfax hurts value big time

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:09 PM »
maybe, maybe not, carfax doesn't always get everything and no accident report by police.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Anything reported to the insurance company will go to Carfax. I garuntee it. its unfortunate because in most cases on carfax it dosnt distinguish between a parking lot bumps and front end collisions. I am in the business...

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Anything reported to the insurance company will go to Carfax. I garuntee it. its unfortunate because in most cases on carfax it dosnt distinguish between a parking lot bumps and front end collisions. I am in the business...

Not true.  Wife had a 2010 Matrix and someone backed into her passenger door and caved it in worse than his car.  Insurance paid for it.  When we traded her car in they ran a Carfax and it came back clean. 
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:54 PM »

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Hey at least he didn't just drive off and have you get stuck with the bill

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:58 PM »
The only bad thing is that it happened at all.
The guy admitted to being 100% at fault to the police.
He was a god guy for doing that and not just fleeing, or even worse, claiming you were at fault!

Hope you get it back soon and as good as new!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I agree, I am extremely thankful that he did the right thing, as I never would have known. I would have done the same, so it is good to know that there are still plenty of good people out there.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:54 PM »
the question that i have about that guy is, if his son was not with him, would he have done the same thing?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Hey at least he didn't just drive off and have you get stuck with the bill
That was my first thought too.  Gotta feel like the fisherman among us are a notch above.  Hope it works out

Offline walfred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:13 AM »
Sorry about your mishap, it's good to know there are still honest people out there teaching the young the right thing to do.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:02 AM »
Not true.  Wife had a 2010 Matrix and someone backed into her passenger door and caved it in worse than his car.  Insurance paid for it.  When we traded her car in they ran a Carfax and it came back clean.
Well Ed it is true..there is a reason y Carfax has a buyback garuntee! Yes sometimes it takes a while to hit the report. I have seen people trade cars BEFORE it hits Carfax. Look up your old matrix, I bet its there. I mean people and companies do make mistakes, so it is possible. But I've sat in enough Carfax meetings to know how its works...

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:46 AM »
Well Ed it is true..there is a reason y Carfax has a buyback garuntee! Yes sometimes it takes a while to hit the report. I have seen people trade cars BEFORE it hits Carfax. Look up your old matrix, I bet its there. I mean people and companies do make mistakes, so it is possible. But I've sat in enough Carfax meetings to know how its works...

Well then it takes a long time cause the accident happened 3yrs before we traded it.  Look at the ABC report I posted.  It will make you think twice about Carfax.

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:15 AM »
I agree Ed, I know for a fact first hand that carfax misses many things. I have car dealer friends who have admitted the same.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Well then it takes a long time cause the accident happened 3yrs before we traded it.  Look at the ABC report I posted.  It will make you think twice about Carfax.
you got lucky ed, all i can say...almost 10 years of experience to your one 2010 matrix...Personally i wish carfax WOULD go away. I didn't say its a good thing, I am not defending car fax. I am just saying when someone caves in your door, it gets reported the same as if it got T boned at an interection. People see that yellow exclamation point on the car fax, they wont buy it, simple..

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:25 PM »
My 2007 Jeep was in an accident in back in 07.  Despite $3,500 damage to the fender and hood it did not show up on CarFax when I just traded it last month.  Go figure.  All in all, you are lucky the did the responsible thing and that he had insurance.  It would have been much more inconvenient if he just drove away.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline macdaddyjb82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Someone keyed my truck from back to front...... $2400!! Thank goodness the guy was honest with you and stuck around.  That rarely happens these days.  My Corolla had the same thing happen to it in a Walmart parking lot. Drivers side door completely caved in.  No one in sight.  :-\

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:04 AM »
i believe carfax is a private entity and no one has any legal obligation to report damages/accidents to them. i work for an insurance company and our company does not report anything to CarFax.
from their site http://www.carfax.com/company/about:
"CARFAX receives information from more than 91,000 data sources including every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency plus many auto auctions, fire and police departments, collision repair facilities, fleet management and rental agencies, and more."
"Every CARFAX Report contains information that can impact a consumer's decision about a used vehicle. Some types of information that a CARFAX Report may include are: "

Title information, including salvaged or junked titles
    Flood damage history
    Total loss accident history
    Odometer readings
    Lemon history
    Number of owners
    Accident indicators, such as airbag deployments
    State emissions inspection results
    Service records
    Vehicle use (taxi, rental, lease, etc.)

all of this info can come from the RMV, the MFG, dealers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum