Author Topic: Frabill Ice Shuttle  (Read 21499 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Frabill Ice Shuttle
« on: Nov 09, 2003, 08:15 PM »
Does anybody know if there is something similar to this on the market? For those who don't know what it is, it's an enclosed sled that you can store your gear in. The dimensions are 3' long by 2' wide. It has a padded seat on top and is made of plastic. There is a place on the front to haul a bucket or minnow bucket and it also came with a 3 sided wind break that you could put up and was about 5 foot tall. I contacted Frabill and they aren't going to make them again. I guess they stopped making them quite a few years ago.  Here's a picture of one. ???
Ken                                          

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Frabill Ice Shuttle
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2003, 10:19 PM »
Bean,
I have had one of those sleds for 15+ years. You are right, a lot of storage inside, but the only drawback is that it is hard to pull in deep snow. I haven't saw one in years, but if I see one I'll let you know.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:17 AM »
There was one on Ebay the other day - not sure if it is still up for bid or if it closed of not, go check it out.  

missfishylicious

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2003, 04:09 PM »
does it have a place to get your feet up off the ice?

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2003, 04:55 PM »
Missfishy - No it doesn't.

mngonefishing

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:07 PM »
I have only seen one of them. it was on clear lake. the DNR was giving the person a fine a few yrs back because he didn;t have a shelter lic. on it.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:21 PM »
It is not a shelter, it is a sled with sides you can put up for a windbreak. It was a forerunner of some of the shelters being used today.  Compared to what we have today, it is very primative (but it is still a very effective wind break.)

mngonefishing

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:49 PM »
seaweed01, as long as it has more then one side. you have to buy a shelter lic. for it in MN  >:(

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2003, 08:55 AM »
Mngonefishing,
At least here in PA or NY we do not have to buy a license for it (at least I have never had anyone say I have to.)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:33 AM »
no shelter license to buy here in Wisconsin. some states will do anything to get a few xtra bucks out of us.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:54 PM »
A WHAT?
You guy's got to be kidding.
Wait till these taxacholics here in the Northeast come up with this one!
I had made a WIND BREAK like the one pictured, way before i seen one of them, BUT can you amagine getting a fine for no license.
 I'm sorry officer i didn't realize my WINDBREAK needed a License, but good thing i didn't add another cloth wall and a roof cause then i would really be in big trouble :o

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2003, 06:07 PM »
I have a source of one of these ice shelter/sleds that is pictured in the first posting. It belonged to my brother- in- law who has since passed away and has been in storage for years. It is just like brand new, if anyone is interested in it, send me an seperate msg and we can discuss it.
Seaweed

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2003, 06:17 PM »
If I didn't just get one, I'd be first on your list. You should have no problem selling that.
Ken                                          

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2003, 07:16 PM »
There was one on e bay like rich stick mentioned earlier.
but it expired a week or so ago . i've never heard of buying a shanty license . i'm sure if our governor hears about this one we'll have it though.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2003, 07:32 PM »
The frabill shanty I listed is sold. Thanks for the responses.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2003, 06:58 AM »
It is a great sled.  I got one in 1988 and still use it every year.  Besides storage space the the padded seat is nice and the other great thing about this sled is the molded bucket holder in the front.  You put a 5 gal bucket (bait?) snuggly in it an it dosent tip over unless the sled does.

The wind break is long gone from mine (not made as well as the rest of the sled) and 2 years ago I finally wore through the bottom (to many years of pulling to and from the truck across blacktop).  I drilled out the rivets that held the bottom piece on and retro fitted the top (yellow) part to a new Otter sled that I got at a Gander Mtn out in Ohio.  The Otter is a little deeper than the original bottom so I actually increased the storage space.  After the retro fit I call it frankensled, its not so good looking anymore but still just as functional.
Sorry if I went on here but I really love that sled.  Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:55 PM »
If anyone is interested in one of these, I just saw another one listed on e-bay from someone in Wisconsin. It comes with a whole bunch of stuff like mora auger, 4 Beaver Dam tip-ups, a couple rods, and a bunch more stuff. Good Luck.
This may need to be moved to the equipment forum.
Ken                                          

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frabill Ice Shuttle
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:48 AM »

Strike Master makes a sled that is similar to that called the Glide Lite. I believe that REEDS carry's them. It doesn't have the canvas windbreak but that shouldn't be a problem to fabricate. I've seen a few of the smaller Jet Sled's that guys are making windbreaks for and mounting them on the side. They are just high enough that when you're setting on a bucket in the sled it's just above your head.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Have two of them for when one wears out, they are really handy and the wind break works good as long as the wind is not to strong. Saw them on e bay and thought they are going for more then I payed for them.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Just inherited one of these.  Think the poles that came with it are not original and can't seem to make it work.  If anyone who has one with original poles and could tell me the proper dimensions  so I can retrofit it.  Thanx in advance.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Just inherited one of these.  Think the poles that came with it are not original and can't seem to make it work.  If anyone who has one with original poles and could tell me the proper dimensions  so I can retrofit it.  Thanx in advance.

Send Old Goat or fishinjim a message to see if they can help you out. This is an old post so they may not look here to respond.
Ken                                          

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:52 PM »
will do.  Thanx Bean.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2022, 09:38 PM »

There are 4 plugs that go into the sled then the tall ones slide into those with pushbuttons to go all the way up

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2022, 05:50 AM »
came across one of these with no canvas, but with the poles for $15. included 8 old traps and 2 polar tipups. the flag steel on 4 of the tipups are rusted to the staples and won't move. in process of removing and replacing the flag steel with a free electrical fishwire. got to figure how to put a 90* bend at the top of the steel without it breaking.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2022, 05:59 AM »
came across one of these with no canvas, but with the poles for $15. included 8 old traps and 2 polar tipups. the flag steel on 4 of the tipups are rusted to the staples and won't move. in process of removing and replacing the flag steel with a free electrical fishwire. got to figure how to put a 90* bend at the top of the steel without it breaking

Maybe a little bit of heat.  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Maybe a little bit of heat.  ???
tried heat gun on high. it helped, but still cracked. gonna try flame when I get time.

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:50 PM »
I have two of these and they are awesome.  I can't find them anywhere and assume there are end-of-production.
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:55 AM »
tried heat gun on high. it helped, but still cracked. gonna try flame when I get time.

May be fill the pipe with sand ...add heat and bend around a round object
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.