Author Topic: where to stay  (Read 1577 times)

Offline mlwalleye69

• IceShanty Rookie
where to stay
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Thinking about a couple day trip to the refuge lakes.  Where is an economical place to stay.  Dont need fancy just a place to sleep and wash the cobwebs out. ???

Offline Cadogpt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: where to stay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Tradewinds on the south side of Valentine. Great place. Clean family owned. Been staying there for years.

Offline 2old2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:00 PM »
i agree tradewinds is a very nice place to stay also has fish cleaning station there also

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Thinking about a couple day trip to the refuge lakes.  Where is an economical place to stay.  Dont need fancy just a place to sleep and wash the cobwebs out. ???
Merritt trading post!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:57 PM »
tradewinds for me also.    clean and simple   warm place to clean fish

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Thanks for your endorsement ULK.  I keep six cabins available with 2 to 4 beds per cabin.  All have kitchenettes so all you need is your tackle.  We are 20 miles from the refuge and of course right on Merritt so you have that option to fish too, especially if the wind is blowing.  Winter rates are in effect so give us a call.  Safe ice, tight lines and good fishing to all.

Offline mkruid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Mr Merrit, do you keep any camp sites open in the winter with electrical? May head up that way in Jan. and use a pickup camper.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Mr Merrit, do you keep any camp sites open in the winter with electrical? May head up that way in Jan. and use a pickup camper.
that's what we did a small group went up with a camper..cabins looked to be a bit more cozy like home tho lol. camper was a bit tight
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:50 PM »
I stayed at the merritt trading post on an antelope hunt. You can't go wrong with that place.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments Crash and ULK.  Yes, I have some camper pads available.  In the winter they are electric only (30 amp).  I have nearby hydrants you can source water from but I can't allow you to connect your campers to them during cold weather.  Contact me at the Trading Post @ (402) 376-3437 for info or to make a reservation.  Thanks for your interest!

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Lord ranch resort cabins are just off the refuge as well. I've never stayed, but know people that do, and love it? Less travel time... I always stay in town, and they have a lot of options, with some very good dining as well. Don't know if Mr. Merritts restaurant is open in winter? Cabins are good there too, and not as far as town..
Herm Krepel

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »
One more thumbs up to the Trading Post.  I've brought my camper up twice in the winter, great place!

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:16 AM »
One thing I love about the Valentine area is the abundance of friendly folks and the small-town hospitality.  We've been really happy staying at the Tradewinds with the indoor fish cleaning area.  We used to stay at Big Alkali when they were open due to the price and they're close to the refuge lakes.  Haven't stayed, but have heard great things about the Trading Post at Merritt and Lord's Ranch cabins as well.

If you're just fishing the refuge, I'd go with Lord's Ranch since it's literally around the corner from Watts. 

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.