New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: You Ever Notice Fish Hate It When Making New Ice  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
You Ever Notice Fish Hate It When Making New Ice
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:57 PM »
You ever notice when a lake is forming ice and making those Star Wars type of sounds that it kills the fishing?  I have had that happen to me a couple of times this year and it blows.  As soon as you start hearing those weird pops and spacey gurgling sounds the fish seem to stop hitting.  Time to go home  :-\  I've never found anything different in all the years I have ice fished.  Quite frankly ..... It Sucks  :sick:
Rob Taylor

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: You Ever Notice Fish Hate It When Making New Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Yes and No...on that one Doc :-\
When it comes time for the magical change of daylight...nothing seems to stop the bite!

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Honeoye sounded like a game of Asteroids last night.  The bite quit for us about the time the noise started to.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I think this is going to be a mixed bag of answers, I have blamed it for not catching fish before but I have also kicked the crap out of fish when the lake was talkin, one of the best days I had walleye fishing last year was when the was cracking  nonstop for about 2-3hrs. Who the frig knows.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:19 PM »
haven't noticed a corelation. have had some very good days when ice was being made.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Maybe it depends the lake you are on or maybe it depends the time of year.  The lake I am on, Honoye, just froze over the entire length.  Maybe they just need some time to get used to it.  I was doing well this afternoon until that noise started.  Same thing Saturday.
Rob Taylor

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:19 AM »
this is something natural that takes place not something to spook anything but a human :laugh:

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:33 AM »
Hey doc, We had just the opposite happen to us on Otisco the other night! The crappies were coming out of the holes to hit the lure on the drop, until all the ice noise stopped. Never had another bite after! Structure being defined as a change, I think it works both ways!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:51 AM »
I have seen schools of perch leave when a fellow fisherman approaches my shanty wearing ice grippers on his boots.  I have suspected that fish are put off by the repeated drilling of holes in high traffic areas such as the south end on a weekend.  Certainly, we have all suffered the unfortunate situation of having someone watching us catch fish in the boat and coming over by us, throwing an anchor into the water and killing our bite. (my pet peeve!)  These artificial sounds are without question going to damage a bite.  I have experienced some good luck and bad during noisy ice periods though.  You bring up an interesting point.  I never even thought to associate the bite with these sounds you describe, just assuming that they were just background information to the fish, like the sound of a highway would be to deer.
Good question Doc!  We'll all have to try to make some observations of this and share the information.  If it turns out that the noise helps, count on me to invent some machine that will beat the hell out of the ice!  I'll sell it at Gander right next to the flashers and underwater cameras.  Gonna' need a semi pretty soon to transport all the junk from the truck to the ice!
Hope to see you out there.
Grady

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:53 AM »
I've had days were it hasn't mattered at all , but then some days when nothing was biting ( got to blame something for not catching anything ). I've seen above ice noise affect fish especially in shallower water and then some days it doesn't matter.The next few times I get a chance to get out I'll have to make note if ice noise or nothing effects my fishing.

I know some days it can make you feel a little uneasy when a pressure ridge forms or decides to let loose, the ice shakes and shifts , feels like a mini earthquake.One of my friends went busting out the the shanty thinking we were going in.He tried to make a get away only to trip over all his gear.I just laughed and reassured him we weren't going for a swim.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:02 AM »
dont know about the fish but it scared the heck out of me the first time I ever heard it!  :o  My brother took me up to Goodyear a long ways back and I'll never forget sitting in the shanty and hearing the pressure cracks and other nioses.  It still gets me now and then especially when i'm kneeling down for a tip-up! On the other hand, I've had tip-ups go crazy after a wheeler or sled goes by so go figure!? ???

mack

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:13 AM »
I have often wondered this but, have as of yet not noticed any correlation. Above ice noise seems to have more of an impact as far as I have seen.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.