New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:20 AM »
They can definitely hurt the population, with all the commercial fishermen in the area and no limits. Who needs more than 50 perch a day?
I was just wondering if chartering is considered COMMERCIAL fishing ? Years ago L.G. Had only a couple boats and HOW MANY charters now.I know alot of newbies also take charters and wonder what the mortality rate is from catchin Lake trout and salmon on light line from the Summer depths ? I have ice fished for alot of years and I can remember when only a few fished the narrows but NOW with all the ATV's, snow machines,portable shanties, electronics and the such have made ice fishing comfortable and the sport has grown in leaps and bounds. I think bottom line IS, Fishermen that Catch and keep are No different than than fishermen that catch and sell. Since Lake trout and salmon take longer to mature and MORE likely to be over harvested Maybe we should start attacking the charter boat fishermen ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:28 AM »
Here is the stand I take on this. If a lake has a good population of fish that can be sold commercially then fine cull the lake of fish it can be healthy for the lake. DEC has a formula for fish per acre I believe and if through their shocking efforts find a decline in species then that lake should be shut down to commercial fishing till it rebounds. The second part to this would be that EVERY fisherman who sells their catches should be licensed to sell along with having a valid NYS tax number. Now for the buyer he must have the paperwork for purchasing the fish along with the tax number and persons name from which he purchased the fish. Along with the amount of fish he purchased. During the year say quarterly the reports must be turned into the DEC for examination. If the fisherman was selling his fish to diffrent suppliers it will be noted that he is either legitimate or illegal in the amt of fish he sold so the double and triple daily limit would be eliminated. Also the fisherman would be responsible for paying taxes and not just pocketing the money. With this system both parties will be held responsible for either selling or purchasing illegal fish.
Just my .02
Cold Feet,
                           I agree ! Taxes just aren't high enough here in N.Y. state and additional government Intervention is just what we need. Let's not forget to tax our chidren when they set up their kool aid stands as well. Oh darn, I forgot to ask the kid that cut my grass what his tax number was !!!

Offline sunshine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:07 AM »
It wouldn't upset me if they commercially fished Oneida Lake for white perch.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:37 AM »
I was just wondering if chartering is considered COMMERCIAL fishing ? Years ago L.G. Had only a couple boats and HOW MANY charters now.I know alot of newbies also take charters and wonder what the mortality rate is from catchin Lake trout and salmon on light line from the Summer depths ? I have ice fished for alot of years and I can remember when only a few fished the narrows but NOW with all the ATV's, snow machines,portable shanties, electronics and the such have made ice fishing comfortable and the sport has grown in leaps and bounds. I think bottom line IS, Fishermen that Catch and keep are No different than than fishermen that catch and sell. Since Lake trout and salmon take longer to mature and MORE likely to be over harvested Maybe we should start attacking the charter boat fishermen ;D

Hey jack hows cossyuna doing?? Great effects of illegal commercial fishing.
I remeber the posts from years ago when some older guys were raping the lake daily.

Catching a limit for personal use and commercial is way different.
I fish maybe two days a week if Iam lucky or a take a day off. Fishing everyday as your job is much different and more fish arer taken.

Commercial fishing is really a poor ideal and needs to be ended forever and the stunted fish arguement is weak at best especially on the larger lakes.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:42 AM »
it is no bussnes of yours what other peopledo with their fish especialy if they have a liscence

JJ

« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Chartering is not commercial fishing, that is catching fish to sell, chartering is providing a service and is part of the tourism industry in LG. The fact is the majority of the people that visit the lake have no way to fish it other than taking a charter. There is very little shore fishing, and being a large tourist area the demand is there.

*There are too many lakers in LG, I actually tried to keep more this year. There is talk of changing the lake trout limit, lowering the size/increasing the number.
*The large trout population is one of the biggest factors harming the salmon fishery, 37,000 stocked yearly and only 126 caught. Caught more in 2007 though.
*Salmon don't take longer to mature, in LG they are usually legal the year after they are stocked, and most only live 3-4 years.
*In reality, there are less boats, charter and private, on the lake every year fishing trout and salmon.

It is my belief that the majority of LG anglers support the 50 perch limit and are against commercial fishing. Do you not support that limit, the only people that really would are the guys that want to sell them.

Some here might be suprised to hear this, I welcome ice fishermen on LG(the KING). As stated earlier the lake trout population needs to be thinned out, and we also keep the perch population in control without decimating it.

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Never caught a lake trout through the ice CAPTJJ, i'd love to come thin the herd 2 or 3 fish.  ;D

I think the big part of the problem is overfishing small lakes and bays where 50 guys in a week can really impact a spot. I also think that money fishing is a great way to add to your income if you are "On the dole"
so to speak, and YOU know who you are.

Where's essox, he loves this subject, must be ice in the northlands eh bud???

cnypanfisher

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Never caught a lake trout through the ice CAPTJJ, i'd love to come thin the herd 2 or 3 fish.  ;D

I think the big part of the problem is overfishing small lakes and bays where 50 guys in a week can really impact a spot. I also think that money fishing is a great way to add to your income if you are "On the dole"
so to speak, and YOU know who you are.

Where's essox, he loves this subject, must be ice in the northlands eh bud???

cnypanfisher

Here I am.....shall I go back and find my posts from last winter on this subject??
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Commercial fishing wasn't for me I tried it out and found it was more of a headache then fun or profitable. Guys that keep a limit I will give them congrats. Its not easy to fill a bucket. Those who keep over there limit maybe its just greed. I would fill a bucket up of perch, drive to the place where I could sell them, and drive back home and maybe have an extra 5 bucks in my pocket. Now if I had two buckets maybe I would of had enough money for gas to get back to the lake the next day. A few years ago I found a guy who bought them for 95 cents a pound live weight. It wasn't bad but wasn't enough. Now charters being a commercial fishery how there is no way. The difference is the service. I mated for my second season on Lake Ontario. The charters are not selling fish they are selling their time and accommodates. The fishermen (the guest) are the ones with the choice of keeping what ever is legal. Yeah I would convince the fishermen to release fish like certain steelies and or young salmon. It comes down to the fishermen choice not the charters. I don't blame them the amount of money they spend to catch fish I think anyone would want to keep what ever they caught too. I am also a commercial fish cleaner on Lake Ontario. I see thousands of salmon and other species. those charters are crushing'em and i never have seen a down fall of fish in the 5 seasons of cleaning that had to do with chartering. weather and pollution is the killer. Now I do see how small bodies of water can be effected and maybe should be restricted like perch lake (ice fishing only). I'm not trying to buch up any of your panties just shooting the ship.    

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Here I am.....shall I go back and find my posts from last winter on this subject??

please do. you made many good coherent points.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline CNY Lee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Long and Fish Hard
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:05 PM »
This subject is BS.  You all have great points and they are your opinion just as mine is.  Sure the fishing is good now but it use to be GREAT, oh yea and that's when there were like 20 X's the amount of fishermen fishing for money with no limits.  I have more of an issue with the state telling me what I can and can't do with the fish that I caught. 

I love to fish just as much if not more then a lot of you guys.  I work 40+ hours a week, have morgage, truck loan, boat loan and all the other expenses of the average middle class guy with 2 kids and the money is tight just like a lot of you.  Now if I want to go out and and catch a limit of fish and sell them so I can put money in my pocket to put gas in my truck & boat, buy bait and tackle for my next trip that should be my right and nobody elses. 

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Cold Feet,
                           I agree ! Taxes just aren't high enough here in N.Y. state and additional government Intervention is just what we need. Let's not forget to tax our chidren when they set up their kool aid stands as well. Oh darn, I forgot to ask the kid that cut my grass what his tax number was !!!

I guess we all know your stand on selling fish. When fish slobs take more than their daily limit of fish then sell it for profit and we the fishermen who do not sell have to put up more money for a license because the lakes will need restocking.Or no fishing at all.  You will know what my stand was. The only statement that I made was if you wish to sell fish then I guess that is a business wether a side job or not you are screwing all the people of NY profiting off a so called sport without paying the man. I don't like NY taxers any better than the next guy but if you want to play you got to pay. Simpler solution

BAN ALL SALES OF NY STATE FISH FROM INLAND WATERS!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:04 PM »

I guess we all know your stand on selling fish. When fish slobs take more than their daily limit of fish then sell it for profit and we the fishermen who do not sell have to put up more money for a license because the lakes will need restocking.Or no fishing at all.  You will know what my stand was. The only statement that I made was if you wish to sell fish then I guess that is a business wether a side job or not you are screwing all the people of NY profiting off a so called sport without paying the man. I don't like NY taxers any better than the next guy but if you want to play you got to pay. Simpler solution

BAN ALL SALES OF NY STATE FISH FROM INLAND WATERS!!
You Obviously DON'T know where I stand on the issue. My last post was not entered. I personally catch and release MOST fish speices , However, I do keep panfish for table fare.MY point is there IS NO difference between someone that catches and KEEPS or one that catches and SELLS. As long as the legal numbers are abided by I see no difference. I am not for commercial net fishing and I am talking strictly rod and reel.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:08 PM »
please do. you made many good coherent points.

As requested..a couple of posts from this subject last year:

>>You mention the guy who took 1200 pounds of perch in one year??  Try taking that many or upwards of 2000 pounds of them in ONE DAY by a net, and then multiply that out by 30 days or so...who's doing more damage???  I don't know of too many guys with a permit to net that only set one net either....so just keep multiplying and see how miniscule that 1200 pounds in a year figure actually is, because it's hardly worth mentioning.

Yeah, there are scumbags who are getting around the system by all this, but the numbers are limited and I would imagine the State has more important things to worry about than a few select individuals skirting the welfare laws and such.

I know the local place that buys perch doesn't want them under 7.5 inches, and really frown on anybody bringing them in smaller than that.  Consequently, the guys jigging toss back the smaller ones and keep the ones 7.5 inches and bigger, allowing the smaller ones to grow and get bigger.  How many nets you think are out there that toss back the smaller perch under 7.5 inches??  The netters don't grade the fish, they all get tossed into the boat and taken away.

another:

>>This same topic was on here last year, and my position on it hasn't changed since last year.

If I sell fish (perch) one time a year then I'm out of my normal routine, so I'd guess it's safe to say I DON'T make a habit of selling for money..however, I'm not opposed to people that do for many reasons, but most all of them are in the name of conservation practicality that I say let it be allowed.

IF (and I doubt this will ever happen in my lifetime) you somehow manage to convince restaurants NOT to sell perch dinners, and shut off demand for perch, then maybe you'll reduce demand for them, but, as long as demand is there then the perch have to come from somewhere, which leads me to my next area to address:

If demand remains high and you shut off the perchin' for money types, then you'll see increased pressure being put on the State to allow more netting permits, if you've got the rosy glasses on and actually believe that restaurants/bars/ etc are going to take a ban on perch fillet sales being taken lightly, then have another pull on your bottle because you're thinking in a delusional manner.  So, we say, let them increase the amount of netting permits, right??  You ban guys selling them, then netters have to take up the slack and keep up with demand..

With the exception of probably a half dozen guys up here around Chaumont that post on this forum, I can probably guess how many of you that want to ban the sale of panfish and say so here have seen the effects of netting on any body of water in the state, and I'd say that number is right around ZERO.  Since the ones doing the speaking out on here now are probably thinking Esox is setting you up, your probably right and I'm going to call the majority of you guys who are speaking out as UNINFORMED on this issue completely.

If, and I have my doubts on this as well, I'd like the ones of you who have spoken out thus far on here to tell me how many times you've seen the results floating on the top of the lake after the nets are checked for a day.  How many??  None? Thought so....

Watch the seagulls in a feeding frenzy with the dead or weak fish flopping around on the surface being picked off as easy meals by the gulls.  Watch those nice big pike, walleyes and bass floating belly up because they wore themselves out struggling in the net, or by the guys who just yanked them free rather than being careful in releasing them from the net.  The rockbass and sunfish your kids like to catch in the summer?? Gull food..and add bluegills, crappies, eels, bullheads and any other fish native to these waters all belly up, it's a great way to learn about every species of fish native to these waters, as long as you can see them before they become gull food.

Oh yeah, lets not forget about the tax revenue for the state coffers due to unlicensed and unregistered "commercial" fishermen...and lets compare that number to the amount of dollars that would have to be added to the DEC budget every year to restock the lake with fish equal to the size and number of the inadvertent kills of the net...can't do it, right??  Darn right you can't do it, because the money you'd spend to resupply the fish lost far exceeds the amount of revenue lost in tax money.  Lets not also forget the additional payroll expense for the people to perform this service, the benefits they receive, equipment required, etc...you get the picture.....

OK you say, lets just ban the netting then...just remember the restaurants who are now gonna start lobbying and speaking out.

This bay has been commercially netted for a hundred years or more.  It's not fished out by any means and never will be, even with a few decades of basically unregulated netting, no paying attention to seasons being open or closed, etc.  Inland bodies of water are different and nobody is going to argue that point, but this is connected to Lake Ontario and will continue to sustain itself for a few dozen generations to come and beyond.

Those of you who speak out and have that axe in your hand to grind need to look back at whats really happened in the past to kill the fishing, or to at least change the way it's been up here.  I know of one guy on this forum who is old enough to remember the big smelt runs Chaumont Bay used to have decades ago, and they disappeared in this area decades ago, which by coincidence happened right after the salmon was introduced into the Lake.  That changed everything and it changed the complexity of this fishery in a major way.  Yes, the revenue generated by salmon is a big boost to NY, but it changed the fishery, and made a big time decline in many of the native species, which seems to be the big selling point most of you have with selling perch, that being a decline in the numbers of fish.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind on this issue, but if you're going to grind an axe, make sure you grind BOTH edges equally or you'll get poor results.....there's gonna be ramifications to every decision made by the state...look at Grannis being nominated, look at stocking programs, and look at the VHS issue that has been addressed with pretty much unenforceable guidelines, loopholes and a bewilderment on the parts of local DEC officials....more to come...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Jack Magnum
I guess I will apologise for that statement. I too only keep enough for the table. I have seen first hand people taking limits only to return for more thats the point I was trying to make it isn't against the fishermen who takes the 50 per day limit of fish Our lakes are being infested by guys who think they are above the law while the ones who go by the book are the ones being screwed. What I originally typed was just my words  feeling that this would curb the pigs who go from lake to lake or area to area and take without any feelings for the rest of us. Only to profit in exploiting laws. Without having any way for us or the DEC or anyone to know how much these guys take in a day then sell makes it open season for exploitation.

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2007, 03:41 PM »
MY point is there IS NO difference between someone that catches and KEEPS or one that catches and SELLS. As long as the legal numbers are abided by I see no difference.

Actually Magnum your wrong to a degree, there is a difference.  Most not all commercial fisherman are doing this to support a family or a habbit.  They are fishing most every day.  So in theory if I a guy who fishes both saturday and Sunday was to come home with my legal limit of perch both days, that would be 100 perch.  But a commercail guy that fishes lets say 6 days a week is LEGALLY taking home 300 perch.  That is to say he is taking legal catches.  I have ran into many that brag about taking there buckets back to truck or just chancing it and taking more.  So in one week there is a 200 fish difference without the dishonesty.  SO multiply that out to say 10 weekends and there is a 2,000 fish difference.  And that is one commercial guy.  That would be a big hit for a small place like your Cossayuna or even bluegills from Carter's.  Number's don't lie, only commercial fisherman do. *Not all*

As to your post AndyVT.  It is everyone's business that buys a fishing license when someone is being greedy and taking more than there fair share. 

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Commercial fishing IS JUST A MATTER OF GREED. It has ruined every species that has that the public wants to eat,but to lazy to go out and catch.It also is a unfair playing field commercial guys can keep a smaller minimum length just look what they did to the striped bass in the Chesapeake bay in the late 70's and early 80's the fluke in Cape Cod,again they commercial guys could keep 200lbs per day at 14" you as the sportsman that pays all the bills, can keep only 8 fish at 17"1/2.... and limits are hard to find I SAY WE SHOULD KEEP EVERY THING EQUAL SAME LIMITS SAME SIZE .AS FAR AS NEW YORK GOES I AM TOTALLY AGAINST IT UNLESS THEY CAN ONLY SELL HALF THE LEGAL LIMIT. THAT WAY IT WOULD KEEP THE PRICE HIGH AND THE POPULATION OF FISH STEADY

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:19 PM »
jigging is fine w/ me. and i do not see the need for a special license (not more government control).
Exactly. :thumbsup:
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:37 PM »
just depends on the body of water.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Actually Magnum your wrong to a degree, there is a difference.  Most not all commercial fisherman are doing this to support a family or a habbit.  They are fishing most every day.  So in theory if I a guy who fishes both saturday and Sunday was to come home with my legal limit of perch both days, that would be 100 perch.  But a commercail guy that fishes lets say 6 days a week is LEGALLY taking home 300 perch.  That is to say he is taking legal catches.  I have ran into many that brag about taking there buckets back to truck or just chancing it and taking more.  So in one week there is a 200 fish difference without the dishonesty.  SO multiply that out to say 10 weekends and there is a 2,000 fish difference.  And that is one commercial guy.  That would be a big hit for a small place like your Cossayuna or even bluegills from Carter's.  Number's don't lie, only commercial fisherman do. *Not all*

As to your post AndyVT.  It is everyone's business that buys a fishing license when someone is being greedy and taking more than there fair share. 
Sounds like you keep the legal limit on both your work days off so, Does that mean if you were fishing the full week you would KEEP MORE or release them for those other 5 days ? I think bluegills are some sweet tasting morsals so I don't need to keep the perch. Here on Cossayuna I think the chemical treatments and the harvester does more to damage the fishery than any fisherman could. Just my opinion and sorry if I offend anybody.Hey, One more thing!!! If your getting your limit everytime out I am coming with you.  ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:53 PM »
Jack Magnum
I guess I will apologise for that statement. I too only keep enough for the table. I have seen first hand people taking limits only to return for more thats the point I was trying to make it isn't against the fishermen who takes the 50 per day limit of fish Our lakes are being infested by guys who think they are above the law while the ones who go by the book are the ones being screwed. What I originally typed was just my words  feeling that this would curb the pigs who go from lake to lake or area to area and take without any feelings for the rest of us. Only to profit in exploiting laws. Without having any way for us or the DEC or anyone to know how much these guys take in a day then sell makes it open season for exploitation.
Cold feet,
                             I apologize right back and sorry to give you the wrong impression of me. I think that's my final say on this issue. Sorry if I've offened anybody.

JJ

« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:25 PM »
It's nice to see a thread where opinions differ, yet everyone stays cordial without dragging it into the gutter.  ;D
By the way, Jack doesn't sell fish, and doesn't keep everyone he catches. I think he has tried to show some alternative viewpoints, as most posts have been against commercial fishing.

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:32 PM »
my 2 cents;in the late 70,S early 80"S my father would ice fish everyday and i would go every weekend and when i was not in school.it was a bad day NOT to fill a 5gal pail of jumbo perch [11-13 inches],he would put on a fish fry at a local bar and made $$.he was a seasonal worker so it was unemployment checks and perch $$ that fed us,clothed us and kept us warm.the fishin was amazin,then in 1984 -85 the perch population crashed.now i know 1 guy and a teenager couldnt possibly affect a fishery,but what did was the average joe and the seasonal icefisherman sellin their catch every day did.smittys in lakeport would have 1000 pounds on a weekend.there is little doubt in my mind that sellin unlimited perch on oneida lake led to the fishery crash of both the perch and walleye populaion.and it was all legal!!i can remember days when my father and i would see who could fill the pail the fastest.we had days when the fishin was so hot in 1982 we would fill 4 pails of fish then start workin on fillin the shanty.lookin back now it seems foolish,but it was a big lake and everybody was doin it who could.not everyone was was catchin fish like my father and i,but i know a few on the south shore of the lake that came close.now mabey once or twice a year i catch a 50 fish limit. my dad and i would do this in the summer too.find a weed bed after work ,catch a 100 ,sell the fish ,and drink half the $$away!!do i support 50 fish limits,yup.do i support commercial harvest?no.should recreational fishermen be allowed to sell the 50 fish limit ?yup.
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I have been watching this thread for a while and I have tried to stay out of it because it makes me sick to my stomach that we sportsman’s have the right to sell our fish in new York state. Look at all the lakes we have in our state and I can only name a few of them that have pretty good perch fishing. The other lakes are fished out because the sportsman ruined it because they sold there catch. I remember back in the early 80s when we were in a severe recession, I fished Oneida Lake through the ice. The perch fishery was destroyed in two years because the guys who were out of work collecting unemployment insurance at the time, brag to me that they were making 200 dollars a week fishing while I’m still working paying for these slobs that wanted to make an easy buck fishing. You call these guys sportsman. We have the same thing going on right now on some of the finger lakes These guys that fish all winter aren’t out fishing for there freezer. they are out catching fish to sell. These guys will sell anything if they can make a dollar and at the same time look you into the eyes and tell you they are for the fishery. I will never give out a perch report to anybody who I can’t trust. We need a no fish sale in New York State now. I also would like to see the perch limit reduced to 25 fish with a 9 inch for a keeper. We also need better management for crappie too. This great sports fish is almost wiped out too.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:15 PM »
 I started this thread because i was curious not because i wanted to start doing it. Since marion Mannor stopped buying fish the local lake i fish the perch are actually making  a comeback. I hate the idea of commercial fishing for panfish in ny. I don't even know where they go because i have never seen fresh perch or gill fillets in the stores i have only seen once on tv a place off lake erie that actually sell perch frys. I think that it should banne in all waters not in ny everywhere

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:45 PM »
Sounds like you keep the legal limit on both your work days off so, Does that mean if you were fishing the full week you would KEEP MORE or release them for those other 5 days ? I think bluegills are some sweet tasting morsals so I don't need to keep the perch. Here on Cossayuna I think the chemical treatments and the harvester does more to damage the fishery than any fisherman could. Just my opinion and sorry if I offend anybody.Hey, One more thing!!! If your getting your limit everytime out I am coming with you.  ;D

Actually throughout the ice season I keep maybe 30 or so perch a few times out on George and a few gills and crappie's here and there.  Enought to put a few (maybe 6-10 small bags) in the freezer to keep me untill spring walleye season.  I was just using what I said as an example.  The weekend fisherman is that.  And the commercial fisherman is not going for the enjoyment or to put a few fillets in the freezer but is going for greed. 
As for Cossayuna I agree on the chemicals and weed chopping.  I grew up fishing with my dad on that lake and it was great as a kid.  You have hard time catching quality fish there now. 
You havn't offended me.  Just having a difference of opinion as if I was having a face to face conversation with you.  Fish on and maybe if I make it on yuna this winter I will run into ya and say hi.  And o yeah I rarely keep to my limit and if I do I share with my friends so we all go home with some fillets for the day. 

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Actually throughout the ice season I keep maybe 30 or so perch a few times out on George and a few gills and crappie's here and there.  Enought to put a few (maybe 6-10 small bags) in the freezer to keep me untill spring walleye season.  I was just using what I said as an example.  The weekend fisherman is that.  And the commercial fisherman is not going for the enjoyment or to put a few fillets in the freezer but is going for greed. 
As for Cossayuna I agree on the chemicals and weed chopping.  I grew up fishing with my dad on that lake and it was great as a kid.  You have hard time catching quality fish there now. 
You havn't offended me.  Just having a difference of opinion as if I was having a face to face conversation with you.  Fish on and maybe if I make it on yuna this winter I will run into ya and say hi.  And o yeah I rarely keep to my limit and if I do I share with my friends so we all go home with some fillets for the day. 
I am sure our paths will cross. Til then stay on top

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #57 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:25 AM »
A civilization w/o laws= chaos.
Only the strong and aggressive would survive.Look to nature!

Laws are place for a reason. Feeling the constraints of being over legislated is a backlash.

That augment is weak and fisheries should be preserved and enjoyed.

Selling of fish by commercial yahoos is B.S. and more enforcement is needed. There are plenty of unethical "Sportsmen" and we need to curb some of these practices or indanger our future.

Same argument against it then and now!!!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:17 PM »
A civilization w/o laws= chaos.
Only the strong and aggressive would survive.Look to nature!

Laws are place for a reason. Feeling the constraints of being over legislated is a backlash.

That augment is weak and fisheries should be preserved and enjoyed.

Selling of fish by commercial yahoos is B.S. and more enforcement is needed. There are plenty of unethical "Sportsmen" and we need to curb some of these practices or indanger our future.

Same argument against it then and now!!!!!!
I am a firm believer that we have TOO many laws and ineffective ones at that. Just one example is our gun control laws. The laws are different from county to county and some limit the number of handguns you can own. The laws are confusing at best, Even for the enforcement agencys. I have a carry permit and had one encon guy try to give me a ticket for carrying a loaded gun in my car. He seemed upset when he finally was told by superiors that I was legal. I believe if a handgun applicant passes the FBI investigation and back ground checks heor she should be allowed to carry in any state. Look at all the other gun laws on the books and anybody with common sense see's how ineffective they are. LAWS ONLY APPLY TO THOSE THAT ABIDE BY THEM. Legally owned guns account for a miniscule percentage of gun crimes BUT, STILL The politicians look to enact new laws. Laws are fine to a point, But too many will lead to a soialistic country.

Offline Northeastfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:30 PM »
But too many will lead to a soialistic country.
we are almost there now
The future of our fisheries for our grandchildren depends on the action from fisherman of today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.