New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take  (Read 10234 times)

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
Commercial fishing in NY whats your take
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:20 PM »
 What do you think about commercial fishing in Ny waters ?

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:25 PM »
there is nothing rong with comercial fishing as long as they have a fishing liscence

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:03 PM »
i dont think there is anything wrong with commercial fishing. personally i have had a few bad expericiances with commercial fisherman but have met some decent guys who taught me a few things too. i think there should be a commercial fishing license required for selling fish. i know people who make a living selling fish and all i gotta say is i wouldnt wanna live that way.
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline CNY Lee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Long and Fish Hard
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:19 PM »
Not a good topic to start the ice season, your going to get everyone panties all bunched up before they even hit the ice.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:34 AM »
jigging is fine w/ me. and i do not see the need for a special license (not more government control). the nets are not since they are not a good method of selective harvest, get a lot of bicatch (sp) w/ nets. i believe that esox slayer had some very well thought out points about this topic last year.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:46 AM »
 It doesn't bother me to much if someone takes their limit and leaves it bothers me when people take their limit put them in the car then comes back for more. I have seen this done where people actually keep their limit more than once during a day

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:51 AM »
seen that many times. on huge waters i do not know the impact of commercial fishing but i have seen a number of 100 acre lakes get crushed by guys keeping limit of breeders each day and then leave the place to take years for the population to recover. i have no problem with guys selling thier limit but use common sense keep you limit only and stay with big water!!!
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:57 AM »
i am sorry, common sense was an assumed part of my post.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:25 AM »
 Commercial fishing has done damage to many fisheries on small bodies of water and large bodies of waters.  Some waters can handle the pressure but it should only be allowed on certain waters.  There was an interesting read in the Infisherman icefishing mag about legal isn't always ethical. This article should be read by people that keep their limit every time out. 

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Commercial fishing has done damage to many fisheries on small bodies of water and large bodies of waters.  Some waters can handle the pressure but it should only be allowed on certain waters.  There was an interesting read in the Infisherman icefishing mag about legal isn't always ethical. This article should be read by people that keep their limit every time out. 

Amen!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Lose it.
No need for it.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline duckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Should be banned on certain lakes

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:41 AM »
        unfortunately, in a large percentage of cases, when there is a financial benefit, greed eventually takes over. it all starts out innocent enough with a guy just fishing for fun. then he finds out he can make a little extra cash selling his fish. then he starts pushing the limit a little. then he starts hiding fish. then he takes his limit, leaves and goes somewhere else for another limit. Or he brings the whole family so he can catch 4 limits. Eventually he's keeping everything regardless of size because the buyers go by weight. he fishes out that body of water and moves to another. chances of him getting caught are pretty slim because there are few wardens and nobody wants to be a rat.  Greed has reared its ugly head.
        in case you haven't guessed by now, I'm against it. not to be a scrooge, but if you need to break the law and sell fish to support yourself(which 99% of the time is not the case anyway) you have bigger problems to deal with. just my 2 cents >:(
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:10 PM »
It should be outlawed.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Last year was the first year I actually saw two guys keep more than their limit. They apparently caught their limit, walked to their truck buckets full, unloaded and were back out on the ice fishing again!!! >:(. I thought they were just going back to get warm, but it became apparent they were not because I saw their pails empty, then full, empty then full. I didn't say anything then, but I know I won't stand by idly again.

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Legal isn't always ethical,  i love that, i'll be using that this year in my class.  What month was that article written?

My other problem is that most of the sales i know of are of the under the table variety which means no taxes.  Now don't get me wrong i'm not in favor of taxes, but............. if we all don't pay our share the ones of us who do pay end up paying that guys share.

Also and again i'm over generalizing but a lot of the people that i am aware of who do this are on government help programs because they either have seasonal jobs or just don't work and then do this that burns me even more.  Maybe i'm a jerk (check that, anyone who knows me knows i'm a jerk) but i dislike abuse of our systems as it's the reason we are all taxed to death.

=)

matt
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:32 PM »
i think that limits on lake george,champlain are not nesessary thoes lakes are to big to hurt the population

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:02 PM »
no lake is too big to hurt the population. have you ever seen lake george on a nice saturday in february? I have noticed a decline in the size of perch the last few years.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:10 PM »
no lake is too big to hurt the population. have you ever seen lake george on a nice saturday in february? I have noticed a decline in the size of perch the last few years.
i agree

JJ

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:14 PM »
i think that limits on lake george,champlain are not nesessary thoes lakes are to big to hurt the population
They can definitely hurt the population, with all the commercial fishermen in the area and no limits. Who needs more than 50 perch a day?

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:19 PM »
since they put a 50 limmit on perch the perch are overpopulated   and you can still catch 12 to 14in. perch if you try new spots that are not fished by everyone else all year

JJ

« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:27 PM »
I also forgot to mention the effects of new technology, especially electronics; flashers, cameras, GPS, etc. It is much easier to find and catch the fish than ever before.

Offline flukehit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I lost respect for Billy Joel when he deliberatly went fishing on a commercial vessel and returned to shore with undersized stripped bass. He was promply arrested. I guess he thought the new restrictions imposed on the industry was too intrusive.
This was years ago. The commercial fishing industry has put a strain on the fish population in general.  Growing up in Long Island we went flounder fishing when I was a kid. Now, we don't even bother. Waist of time. Even honey holes are barren. Lots of people dissapointed.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:27 PM »
that whole Billy Joel thing was a publicity stunt. all of it was set up ahead of time, including the arrest.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Could someone please post a list of commercialy fished lakes and or species here in New York... I looked and couldn't find any.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

JJ

« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:02 PM »
The only fish that can be sold from freshwater in NY are those that have no closed season or minimum length.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:21 PM »
It doesn't bother me to much if someone takes their limit and leaves it bothers me when people take their limit put them in the car then comes back for more. I have seen this done where people actually keep their limit more than once during a day
sounds like saratoga lake ???
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:14 AM »
Here is the stand I take on this. If a lake has a good population of fish that can be sold commercially then fine cull the lake of fish it can be healthy for the lake. DEC has a formula for fish per acre I believe and if through their shocking efforts find a decline in species then that lake should be shut down to commercial fishing till it rebounds. The second part to this would be that EVERY fisherman who sells their catches should be licensed to sell along with having a valid NYS tax number. Now for the buyer he must have the paperwork for purchasing the fish along with the tax number and persons name from which he purchased the fish. Along with the amount of fish he purchased. During the year say quarterly the reports must be turned into the DEC for examination. If the fisherman was selling his fish to diffrent suppliers it will be noted that he is either legitimate or illegal in the amt of fish he sold so the double and triple daily limit would be eliminated. Also the fisherman would be responsible for paying taxes and not just pocketing the money. With this system both parties will be held responsible for either selling or purchasing illegal fish.
Just my .02

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:24 AM »
sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. i couldn't agree more, although i'de rather stop it all together. If anyone gets the NY Outdoor News, there are 2 pieces this week about commercial fishing

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:32 AM »
I have some friends that are money fishermen, and I use the term friends loosely as I usually only see them on the ice.

On one occasion I met this guy that was a bluegill fisherman, we fished the same spots and he was selling his catch every day. Then 1 day in spring he wanted to show me a great spot for catching spring bluegills by the pail full. It was about 1/4 upstream of onondoga lake, in the river. I went home, I didn't want any mercury flavored filets, but he fishes there every year and sells his catch to that place in Chaumont Bay. Better you than me buying filets from somebody in the fish business in NY I say.

Also I am sure there is no warning label on the fish caught from Lake Ontario, I think you are only supposed to eat like 2 serving a month right? The panfish are the only thing I eat from that lake, gills,perch,and crappies, in moderation. I was told they have low fat content, so the bad goodies don't collect in them as much as the gamefish.

I say be careful when you report a small lake for bluegills or perch, the next day 50 guys will be there harvesting. When 50 money fisherman show up, that is just what it becomes, harvesting and not fishing.

cnypanfisher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.