New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Your thoughts about my new pike rigs  (Read 848 times)

Offline nysurvivorman

• IceShanty Rookie
Your thoughts about my new pike rigs
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Hi, new to pike fishing and haven't been too successful. I read the many posts on the different terminal rigs for pike. I have taken the recommendations and used the ideas to make two rigs that I would like to try out. Would appreciate your feedback to these two rigs.
  Rig #1 - black tip up line to a snap swivel. On the black line I have put a small split shot, red bead, silver spoon, red bead, silver spoon, red bead. The bead, spoon combination is stopped by the swivel. From here I attached an 18 inch black leader followed by a quick strike rig or #8 treble hook.
  Rig #2 -black tip up line to a barrel swivel. On the black line I used the same red bead and silver spoon combo I mentioned on rig #1. I then attached a 3 foot piece of 40 lb. seaguar fluoro followed by a quick stike rig or #8 treble. I thought that because I would usually be fishing above weeds in shallow water the light coming down the hole may reflect off the spoons attracting the pike to area. Thoughts, suggestions on these two rigs. Does your fluoro coil giving a weird presentation? Thank you   

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Your thoughts about my new pike rigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:29 PM »
 Id  move the blades and beads closer to the bait. I personally use 12-18 leaders of floro or steel. There's no difference.  Check out the threads on northern pike board. There are some excellent threads on  making leaders.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:28 PM »
if I use steel, I prefer 9 inch to the longer ones. The longer ones tend to kink up and not hang straight after a while. And I have red and white beads above the leader.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I use a non-typical set up I guess I use 12# spider wire down to 6" 18# steel leader with red hooks has worked well for me
It's close

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:07 PM »
I use 2-no.10 trebles as my quick  strikes with titanium wire in 20lb test it's tie able blades and glow beads work well good luck.
Mr.Esox

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:26 PM »
30lb flouro some with red beads some without, usual 3'-6' I will also use them for stripers and bluefish so I get more uses out of them, have a swivel on the end and snapped on all my tipups lines so I can switch easily for different fish different leaders
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline nysurvivorman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Thank you guys for the comments, really appreciate it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.