Re: MICE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:31 AM »
moth balls and dryer sheets.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Stuff that is most attractive to mice is stored indoors.  Hub shelter, bibs/parka, etc.

Stuff that is in the garage is in an enclosed sled with no mouse access.

No mouse problems in ice fishing gear for 30 years, except the time my wife used a Styrofoam bait box to dispose of a litter of mice from the garage.  They didn't start there, but that was the container she used to collect and discard the whole shebang.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Jinx the Cat from the Pixie and Dixie Cartoons said it best " I hates them meeces to pieces" Faulty grammar but spot on observation.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Good old moth balls. I always put in my hard side shack in the summer as well to keep them out.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Cat.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:37 PM »
I use fresh cab rodent repellent.  Seems to work well and I don't mind the smell.  I use it in my clam flip over and in my suburban year round.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:43 PM »
I usually either go without or use Irish spring soap. A friend reccommended I use bounce dryer sheets. The first and only time i used them, mice made a nest of them in my snowmobile airbox...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Have you ever smelled moth balls?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Store them set-up in a spare bedroom, garage, basement or barn.  I store my flip-overs on the 2nd floor of my barn set-up so the mice have no folded canvas to make a nest in.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:03 AM »
 Ditto on the Fresh Cab I have my flip over stored in barn on my friend property no problems so far with mice. Tractor Supply company sells Fresh Cab. Also like that the product does not leave a smell like Moth balls made from conifer needles. If you can not find the Fresh Cab I have also had good results using a product from Victor made from mint leaves. My shelter is also a Frabill model so can remove fabric and store in Rubber Made plastic container. Living in an apartment gives me limited storage glad to have friend who lives on what was his grandfathers dairy farm.

Steve

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:44 AM »
My wife uses Lavender Essence oil on cotton balls and the mice hate it :)

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:47 AM »
X3 on the fresh cab. Also have it in the boat during the winter and sometimes year round as I have found evidence in summer time also in the boat.

Last fall had a chipmunk that was living in the pole barn so set up the bucket with seed floating on water and a ramp (similar to the can set up) and ended up catching about a dozen mice before getting the chipmunk luckily before I was frozen out. I have dogs so didn't want to deal with antifreeze. Going to run it again this summer off and on to keep mouse numbers down as well.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:16 AM »
Have you ever smelled mother balls?

No. I could never get their little legs apart. ;D

Offline Hardwater troller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Not so much for mice but for moisture/mildew prevention  -  I work P/T at a large outdoor retailer and save the larger size silica packs that come in clothing and other products.  Once our pop-up is good and dry, as we pack it in its storage bag, I stuff those little packs in all the folds of the tent - along with some dryer sheets.  No mildew or mice at all.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:05 PM »
I'm single. The shanties and all my gear live in the living room and huge foyer. Yep, all summer long. In the winter those areas have all my boat gear- the bimini tops, the seats, all my canvas, the downriggers, both trolling motors for both boats... even my gas kicker is in my living room. My house is basically a big gear locker. Motorcycle lives all winter in my dining room too.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:05 AM »
I'm single. The shanties and all my gear live in the living room and huge foyer.

I'm Jealous!!!!   
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I put my sled away today. I use a kayak hoist (about $40 from Amazon) and a 2x4 rack to get it up to the rafters. I have never had any mouse damage on this or older sleds using this method. The 2x4 rack keeps the tub from warping in the summer heat. If you use this idea, make sure to get the hoist rated for 150 lbs., and remove all the heavy stuff before hoisting. I also loop a second safety line thru the rack and tied to the rafter once it is in place.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.