New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 118827 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #570 on: Jan 30, 2022, 01:52 PM »
Maybe a European ruffe?

Offline tcheesie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #571 on: Jan 30, 2022, 08:35 PM »
It's a stripe-less perch, the eyes are too small to be an 'eye

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #572 on: Feb 01, 2022, 06:29 PM »
I caught a few of them last couple of years.  It is a perch without strips.  DEC knows about them in Silver lake.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #573 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Interesting...

Are they only stripe-less when they are small?
Do those ones get stripes when they get bigger, or do they stay stripe-less?

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #574 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I have fished silver for a long time, and it's the first stripe Less perch I have caught in that lake. They must be few and far between.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline Drewski22281#

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #575 on: Feb 06, 2022, 12:09 PM »
Anyone been out pike fishing....gonna be out there this week a few times running a grid of tip ups with 2-3 guys....any input is appreciated 👍

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #576 on: Feb 07, 2022, 05:56 AM »
Anyone been out pike fishing....gonna be out there this week a few times running a grid of tip ups with 2-3 guys....any input is appreciated 👍

Tell me how you do and what you find out

Offline Drewski22281#

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #577 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:27 AM »
Tell me how you do and what you find out

Will do

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #578 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:33 AM »
Fishing for pike right now on the north end. No flags yet. :tipup:

Offline msik0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #579 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Thanks for the update Riddlefiddle! Is there usually more people fishing the north or south end? Not familiar with the area, where is the easiest access point? Good luck and tight lines!

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #580 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:30 PM »
Seems to me that more people fish the south end. You  can access the south end from the state boat launch. Access the north end from the Perry public beach.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #581 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:43 PM »
Any advice for the pike specifically for what part of the lake 

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #582 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:56 PM »
You can find pike anywhere on the south end. I normally start setting tip ups in 4ft of water and gradually set the last one around 8 to 10fow. You will find them eventually.

Offline RustyTrombone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #583 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:11 PM »
I haven';t fished this lake in years because it's like Chautauqua. 6" perch all day. Has the size gone up, or is eveyone just wetting their whistle just to be on Silver? Rather test my luck at Allegheny State PArk or Kinzua.
Proud member of Newfane FD. Glorified ice fisherman. LOL

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #584 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I haven';t fished this lake in years because it's like Chautauqua. 6" perch all day. Has the size gone up, or is eveyone just wetting their whistle just to be on Silver? Rather test my luck at Allegheny State PArk or Kinzua.
I honestly think that the perch in Silver lake are starting to get bigger over the past three years. In my experience, I have been catching more 8 to 12 inch perch than dinks. Any perch 8 inches or more i keep. I believe most people who fish Silver are doing the same thing. This practice is making some room for growth for the fish.

Offline RustyTrombone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #585 on: Feb 09, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Excellent to hear. Thank you.
Proud member of Newfane FD. Glorified ice fisherman. LOL

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #586 on: Feb 09, 2022, 03:55 PM »
No one is posting pic's with a ruler laying nearby. ???  I have been there a few times this year and I know what size the perch are.  A picture is worth more then all the words posted.  haha!  If I get some good ones this Sat. I'll post a pic.

Offline conesusguysouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #587 on: Feb 10, 2022, 01:58 PM »
id like to see some of these 12s on a bump board haha

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #588 on: Feb 10, 2022, 05:07 PM »
You know what they say. Most fisherman were born honest.....but they get over it! Lol

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #589 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:21 PM »

Fishing was tough today, but we managed to catch some nice eight and nine inchers before the wind blew us off the lake.

Offline msik0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #590 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:45 PM »
How was the slush/drag? Did you do north or south? I'm heading to south end tomorrow morning hoping to find some pike

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #591 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:13 PM »
How was the slush/drag? Did you do north or south? I'm heading to south end tomorrow morning hoping to find some pike
The drag was not bad on the north end. The wind was horrendous.

Offline rschutte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #592 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:45 AM »
I need the link to the Silver Lake web cam, please  :)

Offline Rippinlips89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #593 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:46 AM »
I need the link to the Silver Lake web cam, please  :)
Google “silver lake webcam”

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #594 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:52 PM »
We had to work for what we got today, 21 perch 8"-9-1/2", but caught a lot of shorts.  Fish would come and go (see the broken line above the solid bottom line on my LC graph they are fish).  Finally found the jigs and bite that worked the best.  Fished mostly 30+ FOW.  We had 4 sets of holes that we moved between all day.  Would catch a few perch at each move, hole hopping.  Staying in one location would have provided less fish.   Ice was 12" black and 4" white, no snow on top but some minor slush. Access to the lake had snow for the drag.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #595 on: Feb 20, 2022, 07:43 PM »
Fished South of The Golf Course Club House 9-5pm.  Shore ice to the North of the creek is still solid, but the creek to the South had washed out 30-40 yds of ice and it has only skimmed over again, so stay to the North if going out.  Bite was slow, a lot of fish shown but only a few takers, kept (15) 7"-9" threw back all under 7".  Main ice is 17" with only 1" of white on top.  If you park at golf club stay in the upper lot, do not drive down the hill to the lower lot.  We don't want them closing this access to ice fishermen.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #596 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:39 PM »
Went off the Golf Course today.  The creek on the right had washed away the ice out into the lake about 50 yds. after the earlier week high temps and rain.  It has started to ice over again, but believe me it is very thin ice straight out from the creek.  The North side shore ice at the access is solid and the main ice is still 16".  Snowed on and off all day so there is at least 4" of snow on top.

I fished with a guy that had an Aqua-view camera today.  I know now there are a lot of perch and some are big, 10" or better in Silver lake.  Most of them would bump the bait with their nose and swim away, and you didn't even feel the hit.  Others would suck in the bait and spit it out you hardly saw the spring bobber move.  He was able to hook the perch as soon as he saw them suck in the bait.  So for those who think there are no big perch in this lake you are wrong.

Offline Jmny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #597 on: Feb 28, 2022, 10:21 AM »
Perchchaser,
    I’d just like to thank you for the quality of your reports. Especially the last three.   They were very informative as to conditions, results, presentations to be successful, and even a detailed description of how numerous perch approached and even bit the bait and released the bait without the fisherman feeling the bite. One question was the bait being actively jigged or just dead sticked? ( laying motionlessly in the water.  Basically trying to ascertain whether the anglers couldn’t feel the bite or couldn’t see the bite at the rod tip/spring bobber.
Thanks 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #598 on: Mar 03, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Perchchaser,
    I’d just like to thank you for the quality of your reports. Especially the last three.   They were very informative as to conditions, results, presentations to be successful, and even a detailed description of how numerous perch approached and even bit the bait and released the bait without the fisherman feeling the bite. One question was the bait being actively jigged or just dead sticked? ( laying motionlessly in the water.  Basically trying to ascertain whether the anglers couldn’t feel the bite or couldn’t see the bite at the rod tip/spring bobber.
Thanks

We were constantly jigging and the spring bobber would move ever so slightly.  If not paying close attention you never even knew the perch sucked in the bite and spit it out. 

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #599 on: Mar 05, 2022, 10:56 AM »

Panfish mania on silver lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.